Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went on a bike ride to san Antonio. Left Feb 23. Long range weather showed mostly cloudy with most days being around 46 degrees.
Nope........1st 2 minutes of the video is minutes from my house. At about the 2 minute mark there is some video of what I drove thru pretty much all the way home.
When stuck in a traffic jam for over 5 hours, temp in the high 20's, I seriously told myself I was going to sell my bike and get an MG, triumph , fiat etc. Besides my toes freezing and my clutch hand sore from playing leap frog for 5 hours, the roads were wet and the temp was in the high 20's.
The day before I came thru Arkansas it turns out they shut down the highway and called in the national guard because of ice.
Thing was tho, when I came thru the traffic was not because of weather, but a lane closure.
It took me about 5 1/2 hours to go what should have been an hour drive.
Ended up taking me 3 days to get home.........
Think I will keep the bike tho now that I have warmed up

Video is Here - Bad weather is at around 2 minutes

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
That hurt just watching it.

The weather is our boss. I woke up one Sunday morning to a heavy down pour. I was over 250 miles from home (TOTD) with only storm stories and a local radar showing on TWC. I now have a droid.
I use 4 different weather sources when outdoor activity is planned.

Another thing I've noticed about TWC. If we are in a drought there will always be at least 20% chance of rain on the 7th day of a 7 day forecast.

I tried to search out comedian Marvin Webster's "The weather channel is messing up". I found it on John boy and Billy's web site, but it won't C&P. Marvin explains their problem perfectly.

When I need the weather report, I need it NOW!

Y'all think about it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
You weren't lying ......ride from hell no doubt!, :/

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Thank you for the first 2 minutes of your video! It gave me hope! I especially loved the old song.

But the last part should be replaced by an advertisement for, I don't know maybe, Maker's Mark.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Traffic... Learn how to lane split safely and keep moving!

·
Registered
452 Posts
told myself I was going to sell my bike and get an MG, triumph , fiat etc.
Don,
Of the four, I would recommend you buy the etc. I have owned a TR3, MGB, and 124 Spyder. The British makes would have rolled to the side of the road after losing all the electrics in the wet. The rust holes in the floor pans, gaps in the snap on canvas tops and side curtains would have let in the cold and wet making your wait for the tow truck very miserable. And the Fiat would have failed just because; before it too rusted out. I always considered period Fiats to be female in nature; they look great, ooze sex appeal, but sometimes they would just do the unexpected for no reason. That line will get me trouble.

Glad you made it home and post some pictures if you decide to buy the etc.

Good hunting

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Ahhh! I feel your pain.... On the bright side you can now be considered for placement into the venerable society of Road Warriors... We laugh in the face of rain, cold, and traffic...:confused:

Well, maybe "we" used to. I think now it just hurts....;)

Sent from P2-38 Space Modulator ;-)

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
I have thought about switching to a Miata. Great reliable car and from 2006 (I think) I can actually, barely get my 6-4 frame into one. They are a blast to drive!!!! Love the hardtop version!!

·
Administrator
29,600 Posts
Finally, this year... i think (it has eluded me for two years.... i think I'm going to finally get to my 500,000 mile award from my favorite manufacturer. When I get there. I joke with everyone (only partially) that the first thing Im going to do is go for a ride...

To a place that sells covertibles!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
l would have learned lane splitting real quick. I know for sure I would have been in the brake down lane if there was one. But then again, now that I'm on a trike I would have been screwed just like you!:):)

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Don,
Of the four, I would recommend you buy the etc. I have owned a TR3, MGB, and 124 Spyder. The British makes would have rolled to the side of the road after losing all the electrics in the wet. The rust holes in the floor pans, gaps in the snap on canvas tops and side curtains would have let in the cold and wet making your wait for the tow truck very miserable. And the Fiat would have failed just because; before it too rusted out. I always considered period Fiats to be female in nature; they look great, ooze sex appeal, but sometimes they would just do the unexpected for no reason. That line will get me trouble.

Glad you made it home and post some pictures if you decide to buy the etc.

Good hunting
From personal experience, when you own an MG, you should just get 2, 1 to drive and 1 for parts. I had 2...

·
Registered
371 Posts
Reminds me of the time I made the ride down to Portland. It was a great six hours going down. Rained the entire eight hours it took me to get home. I shiver just thinking about it..

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well, an old friend said he had a Fiat and while he really liked it, it was a back killer and since my back is 100% fused , he thought I wouldn't fare too well on long hauls in one.
Soooooo, picked me up a luxo tourer - a 2004 Jaguar XJ8 - all aluminum body that is lighter but 40% stronger and also apparently world’s first mass-produced, all-aluminum “monocoque, 32-valve all-aluminum 4.2-liter V-8 with 294 hp , 303 ft lb torgue, self-leveling air springs and a two-stage electronic adaptive damping system , Dynamic Stability Control, traction control and ABS.
(can u tell I took that from a spec sheet)
and I must say - I like it.

It is a mini rocket with zero body roll. I just came back from Ohio and on the way up I was going 90 mph for almost half the way (I found a new Challenger that was hauling it and fell in about an 1/8th of a mile behind him so he would get the ticket) and averaged 29.7 mpg.
Strangely, on the way home I was probably averaging about 78 mph (no challenger to follow) and I ":eek:nly" got about 28 mpg.
But is wayyyyyyyy more than I expected. I was hoping for 23-24 mpg.

I used to have a Porsche 928 and this is every bit as fun to drive, better in many ways but to be fair it is 20 years newer so has better technology.

hmmmm, can't post a pic, so it is HERE

1 - 17 of 17 Posts