Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across this via a Facebook ad.

Does the company really think that this is effective?

The statements are of course very misleading. What is left out is that basically the same percentage of bicycle accidents result in injury or death as do motorcycle accidents. "Significant less risk due to the use of a bike lane". Right. The only bike lane in my area is along a portion of US 27, a busy and dangerous 4-lane highway with 65mph speed limits. The "bike lane" consists of a bicycle logo and the words "Bike Lane" painted on the paved shoulder. Yea, I think riding 45 mph slower than prevailing traffic 3 feet away is safer.

·
Super Moderator
28,746 Posts
Does the NHSTA even keep stats on bicycle accidents? That's just an assinine claim. I would bet there are far more than 236 bicycle accidents that occur every day in the US, but those accidents are only reported if the rider is seriously injured or there is some property damage that needed an insurance claim. If I got into a minor accident with a car on a bicycle and wasn't hurt, I'd cuss at the driver, dust myself off, and ride on.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"In 2013, bicycle and motorcycle injuries and deaths in Virginia were as follows:

Bike accidents: 800 reported accidents
  • 739 serious injuries (92 percent of bike accidents result in serious injuries)
  • 10 deaths (1.3 percent of bike accidents result in fatal injuries)
Motorcycle accidents: 2,000 reported accidents
  • 1,800 serious injuries (90% of motorcycle accidents result in serious injuries)
  • 60 deaths (3% result in fatalities)"

·
Super Moderator
28,746 Posts
So, very similar.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'll give you some stats close to my home. I live in a retirement community (55+). I personally know 5 people in my age group that started riding bicycles again. One guy is cautious and doing well. One lady nearly fell off an electric trike and gave it up. Another guy has a Yamaha electric bike and nearly fell off when the front tire went flat. One other lady fell off in a turn and broke her arrm and collar bone. The guy next door fell off his bicycle twice. The second time he broke several ribs and had internal injuries where he underwent 30 hours of surgery to put him back together. His wife fell off an electric bike in a parking lot during a test ride and gave it up. 6 old people, 2 severe injuries, 3 almost injuries, 2 guys still riding bicycles. There is also a group of riders in my neighborhood and a few of them bit the pavement as well. Item 4 in the add is a sad truth for those no careful or capable.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Anyone swayed by that ad has never ridden a motorcycle. This is clearly aimed at those who've never ridden a motorcycle but feel an electric bicycle will get them the same feeling.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Actually, the people I spoke with went with electric bicycles because they was to ride bicycles and after many years of sedentary life styles, are hoping for exercise that will help them get/stay healthy in their retirements. The electric component is seen as an aid for when their bodies get too tired to actually pedal (up hill). :giggle:

·
Registered
20,161 Posts
I can tell you one thing. Having dumped a motorcycle at 60mph on the expressway and having my front tire suddenly flat on a downhill descent at 30mph on my bicycle, I will take the motorcycle crash every day. At least on the motorcycle, I have a full crash helmet, kevlar armor, heavy boots and gloves to mitigate the impact and road rash. On a bicycle, I'm wearing spandex and a foam hat. My left knee and shin is still scarred from the bicycle crash in 2014.

Reactions: Whiskey

·
Super Moderator
28,746 Posts
Actually, the people I spoke with went with electric bicycles because they was to ride bicycles and after many years of sedentary life styles, are hoping for exercise that will help them get/stay healthy in their retirements. The electric component is seen as an aid for when their bodies get too tired to actually pedal (up hill). :giggle:
I've been looking at an electric bicycle for exactly that reason. Especially after the last year of working from home, I feel like I don't even walk anywhere anymore, but I'm way too far out of shape to ride a regular bike very far and we've got hills to contend with.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Why is this ad exclusively geared towards men? I find that odd.

·
Super Moderator
28,746 Posts
It's a sexist belief that only men are interested in riding motorcycles.

Am I doing this right?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've been looking at an electric bicycle for exactly that reason. Especially after the last year of working from home, I feel like I don't even walk anywhere anymore, but I'm way too far out of shape to ride a regular bike very far and we've got hills to contend with.
I don't know what they cost, but the guy across the street from me is really pleased with his Yamaha. He even put inner tubes in the tires that already had Slime in them to thwart flat tires. I did not know that was a thing! I'll have to see if these are available for motorcycles (C50).

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
4. As you age, you are more likely to be involved in an accident.

As an infant to 5 years of age you are unlikely to have tried surf and turf.
In the span of age 5 to 50 years of age you're likely to have ordered surf and turf at least once.
This is simple probability and statistics. How about you just make people aware and let them make their own decisions?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts