Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two of my friends and I are planning a three day trip through southern Missouri and northern Arkansas. This will be my first overnight trip on a motorcycle. I’ve done lots of rides that took all day but never an extended ride.

I’m a little nervous but excited. I have luggage that I will put on the bike but wondered if any of the guys with touring experience have any tip or advice they might like to share. I have luggage that I will put on the bike but wondered if any of the guys with touring experience have any tip or advice they might like to share.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yep don't over pack remember this less is more when touring on a motorcycle, you may have to wear the same clothes for a few days that's ok but yes take clean underwear and don't load up your bike with gear you won't use, are you camping out or staying in motels, also take wet weather gear with you even if the sun is shining and they forecast sunny weather you just don't know when the weather can turn bad.

And now for the most important thing about motorcycle touring just enjoy yourself cheers.

·
Registered
70 Posts
We will be staying in a hotel. None of us are big campers
Yes that's what I do these days my camping days are over just getting to old and all I need is a duffle bag that's carries enough gear to keep me going for a few days.

Another tip for you if up got the time, just cruise take it steady, enjoy the scenery, don't try and do two weeks of touring in three days, break it up and save it to next time, to many guys these days when they tour and they ride flat out and try and do everything at once I can't see the fun in that, I use to ride that way but these days I slowed down a lot and feel better for it. :wayhappy:

·
Registered
431 Posts
Get roadside, take a set of clothes to ride in and a set of clothes to change into if going out and a credit card. ENJOY!!!

·
Super Moderator
8,888 Posts
A few thoughts:

Put heavier items (such as tools) lower in your luggage to keep your center of gravity low. And you don't need to bring your entire tool box with you, especially since your buddies probably will also have tools on their bikes.

If you don't have one already, consider acquiring a Cramp Buster. For longer trips, it's the best ten bucks you can spend.

Be mindful of dehydration, which can sneak up on you. Drink plenty of water when you take breaks, and consider a Gatorade or similar beverage once a day.

DO take breaks. When your attention starts to wander too far, it's time to get off the road for awhile. Safe arrival is the only kind that matters.

Don't get so focused on "getting there" that you forget to stop and take pictures. Remember, it's a vacation, not a contest. And it stinks to get home and realize you have no cool photos to show your non-riding friends and family.

Never pack items you might need in a hurry -- by this I mean rain gear -- where you can't get to them easily. Nothing more annoying than standing in the rain taking your luggage apart.

Pack your clothes and whatnot in "liner" bags (kitchen garbage bags will do in a pinch, and are waterproof) that fit in your saddlebags and that you can carry easily into the hotel. You don't want to have to bring your things back and forth an armload at a time each day.

Make room in your luggage for a small first aid kit. Yes, you can buy first aid stuff at any handy drug store or supermarket, but when you slice your finger by accident in a rest area, you don't want to ride to the store to buy a Bandaid.

Pack a tiny flashlight, a few zip ties, and (if you can find one at the store) a baby roll of duct tape. You might not need 'em, but they could help out somebody else.

If time permits, pre-pack your luggage, even with a simulated load, and ride around some with it. It's best to learn in advance how best to tie things down, and how/whether it changes how your bike feels with this load.

Hope this is some help. I envy you your trip -- that's some fine riding territory!

--Chris

·
Premium Member
6,301 Posts
A three day trip, so, 2 nights :)
I will assume you are riding the North West part of Arkansas, enjoy! My favorite place to ride, I try to go down there twice a year to ride, it's only 630 miles from my front door :)

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Just one night? Don't need to pack much at all. Clean underwear and your wallet.
I think its 3 day with at least 2 nights. My wife and I toured for several days one winter ago and we packed 3 days of clothing each. Rain gear, some tools, and a pair of comfortable shoes when not riding. Your exterior clothing does not get that dirty necessarily. Depending on the weather for heat or cold, its the underclothes that will be changed most often. We travel with dry fruit snacks, water, juice, sun screen, camera, music, and tablets.

·
Registered
150 Posts
lol, I am the opposite, I would cram as much clothes into those saddlebags as I could and then throw my laptop on top of them and probably fill up a backpack while im at it. better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

and forget the cramp buster. these grips are 29$ just as good as the namebrand and have the metal "cramp buster" built in. they are awesome, reduce vibes from the crappy stock grips too if anyone still has them on. Took me about 5 minutes to change them out.

Chrome 1" Hand Grips w Throttle Boss for Yamaha Road Royal V Star V Max Cruiser | eBay

·
Registered
439 Posts
Arkansas has some good riding and beautiful scenery. We ran it last fall. Don't forget they have a lot of dry counties. I had to make a 160 mile beerrun to hot springs while we were there.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

·
Super Moderator
8,888 Posts
and forget the cramp buster. these grips are 29$ just as good as the namebrand and have the metal "cramp buster" built in. they are awesome, reduce vibes from the crappy stock grips too if anyone still has them on. Took me about 5 minutes to change them out.

Chrome 1" Hand Grips w Throttle Boss for Yamaha Road Royal V Star V Max Cruiser | eBay
Good point. ANY throttle assist helps on a long trip. It doesn't have to be a Cramp Buster. That's just the one I happen to use.

·
Registered
19,521 Posts
Essentials: Credit card, cell phone with charger, clean underwear. Everything else is optional.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
While I like the short lists of what to bring, please add a toothbrush and travel size toothpaste - you may not care but your friends will appreciate, especially by day three...

Have fun. I am eying a trip there with some friends myself if I can convince them to go. Probably the closest area to me with scenic views. Cruise around Table Rock Lake near Branson and down into Eureka Springs and other points. Will be a great time! A friend of mine was thinking about opening a motorcycle rental company around Branson so people could take in the views from two wheels.

·
Registered
150 Posts
While I like the short lists of what to bring, please add a toothbrush and travel size toothpaste - you may not care but your friends will appreciate, especially by day three...

Have fun. I am eying a trip there with some friends myself if I can convince them to go. Probably the closest area to me with scenic views. Cruise around Table Rock Lake near Branson and down into Eureka Springs and other points. Will be a great time! A friend of mine was thinking about opening a motorcycle rental company around Branson so people could take in the views from two wheels.
Funny you mention that, my wife was saying we should go to branson for vacation. I said Missouri???? she said yes and sent me this website made it look cool. I said to her, "can I rent a bike there":wayhappy:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the replies everyone. I have the exact grips that LATony gave the link to with the throttle boss built in, its a life saver. I live near Joplin Mo and we are really lucky to have so many good places to ride near us. Ive been to Eureka Springs lots of times, its a great place to ride.

We are planning the trip for late spring. The plan is to take MO 76 Hwy to MO 160 east all the way to southeast Missouri, my childhood home. Then take our time coming back through northern Arkansas, propablly go through Mountain Home and Harrison. It should be a good time.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Rode some of those roads last summer. In fact, riding from Norfork to Mountain View is where I hit a little deer. First one on the bike, and kinda freaky being 1500 miles from home...
Had a great time riding that area and would love to do it again. Ozarks are great for riding and very scenic.

·
Registered
795 Posts
john122hump;2911586 I have the exact grips that LATony gave the link to with the throttle boss built in said:
Got any pictures of them installed on your motorcycle? I'm thinking of buying them and a picture would be appreciated.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts