Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

Touring bike for me and Mama. Opinions appreciated. Whadda ya think?

16K views 207 replies 14 participants last post by  DCinCT 
#1 ·
We are in the market for a larger touring bike. This one appeals to me on looks and specs. Haven't had a chance to test ride it yet. I'm about 6ft 250 lbs. Spousal unit is 5ft 3in. 140 lbs. (she says) :p . I might want to add a trunk. If any one knows if that's feasible with this scooter let me know . It is a 2009 Kawasaki Nomad 1700 has about 15k on the odometer. Asking price 4600.00. Thanks!!

See less See more
#87 · (Edited)
Wow...Thats a nice.......motercycle? LoL.....Will do beezer. The shop I'm taking it too, is also the largest dealer in Oklahoma. It's called Harley World. Not like they have delusions of grandeur or anything. Gonna pick it back up on the 26th. There will be pics!!! Gotta take some of the Triumph also. Don't want her to get jealous. I broke the news to her about the Harley, last night, while I was taking a ride. She backfired and stalled at the next light. Now maybe I dumped the clutch.... but I don't think so.:oops::eek:

Reactions: Jmbrad and beezer
#86 ·
Between the Ultra and the Voyager, (I think) the Voyager will have fewer problems.
The Ultra will hold it's resale value better. Both are Excellent choices. The Ultra will have
a better low center of gravity. The 09' Harley is when they upgraded the frame to handle
better than before. But going by Price only, that's a difficult choice. I'd probably still go for
the Voyager. But that's just me.

#89 · (Edited)
Between the Ultra and the Voyager, (I think) the Voyager will have fewer problems.
The Ultra will hold it's resale value better. Both are Excellent choices. The Ultra will have
a better low center of gravity. The 09' Harley is when they upgraded the frame to handle
better than before. But going by Price only, that's a difficult choice. I'd probably still go for
the Voyager. But that's just me.
Hey buddy. Just saw your comment, it slipped by me. Yeah you may be correct. But it's all over but the crying. I chose the Harley. She put a spell on me.:love: Thanks for your interest though!!!!

#91 ·
Thanks Buddy!!! Yes it was a very tuff decision. Wore my ass out. LoL I'm having all its maintenance brought up to date at the shop. Tank flush, fuel lines if needed, break lines and pads if needed, all new fluids, etc. Plus new tires front and back. Just had an oil change, and a new battery a couple weeks ago. Said they would start on it no later than the 26th. So hopefully I'll have it back by the 27th. Pics to come!!!

#94 · (Edited)
Now.... I've gotta tell you about my first trip to Harley World. See the Website. If you wish..... I was laughably naive about the so called Harley lifestyle, and cult...oops culture. :p I show up Saturday the 24th, as instructed. At 8am, as instructed. I thought this was a little early, they open at 9am. There were already 6 bikes in front of me. I wait my turn and about 9:30 I get to talk to my technician, and tell him what I want. One of those things was tires. I ask him what brands they had to choose from. He said Bridgestone. He informed me, that they only sell and service original Harley or Harley OEM parts. They will not touch anything else. I ask him if they could patch a small tear on my drivers seat. It's about the size of a dime and is covered by a gel seat cover. But I don't want it to get any worse, and it bugs me. It is the only flaw I could find on this bike. He informed me they do not patch anything. They could replace the seat with a new one. I declined. LoL. He did offer me the name and number of a good upholstery man, who could take care of me......Now I noticed, while in line with my fellow Harley-ites, and later on, in the store. That everyone except me, wore almost exclusively, Harley branded Items. Boots, jackets, helmets, hats, shirts, and I assume underwear. I spoke to some of them. They were nice enough, as far as it went. But it was obvious, to them, and to me, that I was not yet, a true believer.:unsure:. And therefore suspect LoL.... Now the store......There is no covid recession at Harley World. The store is huge. It is packed with motercycle inventory. It is packed with branded item inventory. There is no empty floor-space or wall-space. or ceiling-space. It is also packed with customers. Who were not just looking, but buying. Before I left, at about 10am., at least 20 Harleys pulled up, parking in the ( Bike Only ) area. Most of the riders came in and did a little shopping, grabbed a soft drink, and visited the restroom. Then they left on their group ride, in perfect side by side formation. They meet every Saturday morning at Harley World. They are not the largest, nor the only group that does this. This is brand loyalty like I've never seen before. It is almost frightening. My wife must never darken the door of this establishment...........She will drink the Kool-Aid::eek:LoL

#95 ·
You DO NOT have to drink the kool-aid ! Hubby has t-shirts & a key ring. That's it. Confiscate your wife's credit card before she steps foot in the "World of Harley" :D

#98 ·
God no!!! Don't do that. She will just get another card with a higher limit. No good deed goes unpunished.:p

#100 · (Edited)
Just picked up the bike at Harley World. It's about 12 miles from my house. Somehow the ride back was about 30 miles . I musta got lost.:p Well, I guess I drank the kool-aid. This is the best handling, smoothest, easiest to ride, big bike, I've ever been on. The power curve is amazing. You can idle it around at 5mph, and do u-turns. Then it will do anything you ask it to at 2 to 3 thousand rpm. Took it on the Interstate and never used 6th gear. There was too much traffic. I may be a Harley guy. LoL Never woulda thunk it .:oops: O yeah, after the wife got loose in the retail section, and I paid my service bill, I'm now dead ass broke. Me thinks there may be a down side to this Harley thing. Pics to come, gotta get my camera charged up. Cant transfer my phone pics to the puter for some reason. Gotta go put the bikes in the garage. Later gators. :)

#103 ·
LoL. Yep, there are similarities.:mad: At least I can ride this money pit, without pulling it to a Fn lake every time I want to use it.:)

#107 ·
I bought a 88 Harley softail, and people said, omg .. that's a lovely Harley, you must be loaded ££££...
.... I said .. not any more. haha... congratulations on the bike. Enjoy.
Yep, LoL my pockets are lighter than they were a couple days ago :oops:

#110 ·
LoL. Yeah I mentioned I owned a Triumph, to the sales guy I was shooting the shit with, when I dropped the Harley off for service. He did not seem impressed.:p

#112 ·
won't bother to mention the story bout one of our members here who got a slow leak on his way to our rally 2 years ago in the white mts of nh...called a few places in the area for a replacement tire...found one at a HD dealer in Laconia...when he went to buy it and have it installed there, they realized his bike wasn't a HD and told him to take a hike...riding on a bad tire...true story...so what do I think about HD dealers...sorry... lets just say it ain't very good and realize they all aren't that way.

#114 ·
one thing is certain at that shop was they had no guilt feelings putting someone back out on the road on a bad tire...especially after the guy rode a half hour to get there after they told him on the phone "come on down and we'll get a new tire on there for you"...how do you spell...LAME!!!!!...sorry NateDog..didn't mean to hijack the thread...just that memory always strikes a bad chord w/me and probably always will.

#116 · (Edited)
No worries buddy, I like the conversation to flow where it will. I'll add this.... After I got my Triumph, I swung by the biggest Honda/Suzuki dealer in OKC. It happens to be about 2 miles from my front door. I thought it would be handy if they would service my scooter. They also had a big Indian tour bike, (used), for sale on their floor, that I was eyeballing..... They refused to even consider working on my Triumph. I said, what if I buy the Indian on the floor..... Nope.... They would be happy to sell it to me, but would not service it.... They service Honda/Suzuki only..... I'll never do business with them... If you won't at least, service what you sell.... I want no part of you.... Regarding the Harley dealer that turned your friend away. I think that borders on criminal. They endangered his life pulling that shit.... And should be shut down for it.

#123 ·
The Harley shop near me sells Moto guzzis, Benellis,
BMWs and Royal Enfields.
They keep them in a unit a few hundred yards away from the Harleys. Haha ... it's like they don't want the Harleys to catch something nasty. :LOL:
Well....... With the Benellis they might have a point.:p LoL. Thanks for the congrats on my Harley.... Hey, just out of curiosity, where do you live Inky? If you don't mind my asking.

#121 · (Edited)
Well ya know beezer. I might have just put it off to Harley horror stories. Until I bopped into the Honda shop with my Triumph. The service manager tried to scrape me off his shoe, like I was a piece of :poop:. Thirty years ago when I used to ride to a dealership, (uphill both ways in the snow :p ). They serviced whatever you brought in, and appreciated the business. What changed you ask? Or didn't. LoL.... There's now enough bikes and enough money to support these elitist business tactics. And everyone wants to be special.( church lady voice ). Just my 2c.

Reactions: Jmbrad
#119 ·
facts are facts beez...believe you happen to be there when this all took place...2019..White Mts...Mike w/his new suzuki...then again you may have been there but too many walks during your stay to remember much of anything... although in all fairness to you...with you being at the yankee in Lake George a few weeks later, maybe you weren't there...shame this pea size memory of mine remembers so little.. and remembering less and less everyday.....however I do remember the first time I met you and thought...hey this guy could be fun...

#125 · (Edited)
On the other side of the pond.....you'll need a bigger boat :p
LoL Yeah he mentioned he was in the UK. I just wondered where in the UK. He mentions bike shops, that sell all these various brands of scooters, at the same dealership. I find that interesting . I thought Harley would only sell from a Harley only dealership.

#127 ·
Beezer, you are a wealth of knowledge and a fountain of wisdom.:p Gotta go to work buddy. Storage buildings to clear out. Later on my dude.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.