Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

Touring bike for me and Mama. Opinions appreciated. Whadda ya think?

16K views 207 replies 14 participants last post by  DCinCT 
#1 ·
We are in the market for a larger touring bike. This one appeals to me on looks and specs. Haven't had a chance to test ride it yet. I'm about 6ft 250 lbs. Spousal unit is 5ft 3in. 140 lbs. (she says) :p . I might want to add a trunk. If any one knows if that's feasible with this scooter let me know . It is a 2009 Kawasaki Nomad 1700 has about 15k on the odometer. Asking price 4600.00. Thanks!!

See less See more
#13 ·
From looking at the back i'm not sure a trunk would work. Could just strap a big duffel bag on the back, that might work. What do you ride Lihpster?

#12 ·
If I could find a V V like yours at a price I wanna pay I'd probably snatch it up. My plan, if I buy this, is to make it as Voyager like as possible.

Reactions: Whiskey
#11 ·
No valve adjustment ever? How do they pull that off? Yeah if I decide on this bike I will offer 4k see what he says. But it blue books at I think 5100.00. So I'd probably pay his asking.

#5 ·
I had a 2011. It is a lot heavier than the Volusia, but rides very smooth. My spousal unit is 5' 3 and over 200 lbs and dearly loved the back seat on the Nomad. I added an ultimate seat.

What I didn't like about it was primarily the weight and the stability on the interstate was surprisingly poor. Wind blasts from trucks had me weaving all over the place. Not so on the Volusia.

That's a great price on that Nomad.

Reactions: NateDog 62
#8 ·
I had a 2011. It is a lot heavier than the Volusia, but rides very smooth. My spousal unit is 5' 3 and over 200 lbs and dearly loved the back seat on the Nomad. I added an ultimate seat.

What I didn't like about it was primarily the weight and the stability on the interstate was surprisingly poor. Wind blasts from trucks had me weaving all over the place. Not so on the Volusia.

That's a great price on that Nomad.
Thats weird that it gets blown around on the interstate, wonder why? Is that the reason you got rid of the bike? If not, what was the reason? Also did you ever check into putting a trunk on it? I'd like one that's fairly easy to remove.

#6 ·
I will be the lone voice of dissent. When I test rode the Nomad, I thought it was ponderous and heavy. In slow speed maneuvers it handled like an ore freighter. Then again, I don't like to Harley Ultra for the same reason.

#9 ·
Are there any big cruisers like this that don't handle like a pig at slow speeds?

#10 ·
I kinda like the GW, but Ive been told by a couple of mechanics to stay away from the 1200 and 1500 due to cost of working on them. That leaves the newer ones which are out of the price range that I want to pay. Plus the wife did not really like the back seat of one that we sat on. Of course she may not like the back seat of any of the ones we sit on.:cautious:

Reactions: Ragdude
#15 ·
You'll need to buy a good luggage rack like a Wompus to put the trunk or a tour bag on . ( Will it fit with the seat and back rest it already has? I don't know how I got this screwed up LoL )

#18 ·
Crap-ton of bike for the $$, right there.

Between us, BearBait and I have owned a Vulcan 1500 cruiser, Vulcan 1600 Nomad, and Vulcan 1700 Vaquero. All of them tended to be top-heavy. But once you get used to that (practice a bunch before you take a passenger), they were trouble-free, strong, good-looking motorcycles.

Wompus makes an excellent trunk mount.

Just my thoughts; your mileage may vary.

#20 · (Edited)
But if I am going to buy at my maximum limit which is 10k. Then I also have this to consider. 2009 Ultra Glide Limited, 21k miles, asking $10,500.00 Pretty sure he would take 10k. Any opinions on Harley Vs Kawasaki ? Any opinions on this specific Harley ?

Reactions: FX4
#23 ·
The Voyager is liquid cooled which will save the inside of your thighs on hot days in slow traffic. The Ultra uses the latest 1950s technology, complete with complementary oil leaks.

If you're serious about this, look at any year Goldwing 1800. It has no soul. It's as boring as a plate of rice. But it's reliable, it handles like a dream and it makes all the "big" bikes on the market feel like they're from the stone age. Other competent 2 up tourers would be BMW K1600, Yamaha FJR and Kawasaki Concourse.

Reactions: Jmbrad
#25 ·
Oh, he'll be looking back at the tow truck, flat bedding he Harley when it breaks down and rattles itself to pieces at a traffic light.

• Haha
Reactions: crawdad
#27 ·
They like vibrations, not the hammering of an epileptic on a paint shaker. Get the Honda, you'll be happier. You meet the nicest sales people while waiting in the service department of the Harley dealership.

#29 ·
I hate to say it, but the Voyager throws a lot of heat off of the right side. Honestly, with only three years difference and $1k more, if everything else is equal, I would seriously consider the Harley. One suggestion is to call your insurance company and get quotes on both for coverage. The fact that the Harley was doubled the cost for insurance was a big deciding factor for me. If test rides are possible, consider doing that too.

Reactions: Jmbrad
#30 ·
Insurance on a Harley is on average double that of any other motorcycle.

#33 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. The feed back really helps. So this morning I'm making calls to set up test rides. I'll be back with the results, and pics if one of these works out. Have a great day folks. :cool:

#43 · (Edited)
Inky. I Think they are really pretty bikes. But I live in Oklahoma, home of ( Harley Davidson and the Jap bikes. ) They perform at the Starlight Ballroom most weekends. :p I had a hell of a time finding a shop to just check the valves on my Triumph. I show up with a Guzzi, and they are gonna laugh their asses off at me, as they toss me out the door. But thanks for the input. It is pretty.

#35 ·
God no. The only thing less reliable than Italian motorcycles is Italian women. One night you go to bed with a goddess in silk, the next morning you wake with and angry elephant in a black dress yelling at you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.