Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sitting in a little traffic on the way to work last week getting ready to merge into the GW Parkway and as soon as I start to take off the bike dies. I figured I just stalled it as I began to move but when I hit the button to fire it back up, nothing. Did a fast check on the kill switch, etc. and went to put it in neutral to try again and realized I had no neutral light, or any other light.
After pushing it to the side of the road to take a better look it became very apparent I had a total and complete absence of electricity flowing anywhere.
Started checking fuses, then wiring connectors and everything else I could think of.
Fast forward 3 hours with no bathroom, no water and the patience meter pushing zero I figured I had been bitten by the infamous ignition switch bug. Of course, no security Torx bit to do it the right way, so I ripped the wires out the back of the switch to hot wire it. Yea...guess what else didn't work.
15 hours later I get it trailered and back home.

I took the ignition switch apart and the insides could pass as new. Everything I've checked looks great, but the bike acts like there's no battery in it.

Looking at the wiring diagram, it seems like the only thing left I can't really check is the ECM. I didn't think that could cause a complete power failure but I'm running out of options.

So, does this ring a bell of familiarity with anyone? Can the ECM cause these symptoms or am I overlooking something?

Thanks for any and all advice and/or suggestions.

Nelson

·
Registered
739 Posts
I had a simular problem end of last year. Ended up being my battery. Total loss of power, no lights, no nothing. My service guy said the battery was toast, figured the plates let go inside. I couldn't charge it or anything. Just saying it might be the battery, it worked perfect the day before too.. Hope you get it fixed,
Mac

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Lost complete circuit or ground to the battery somewhere. Had a similar loss of voltage to everything last year and it was the connection at one of the battery posts. Fastner nut on the battery or lug vibrated or fell off (down) and cable was sitting on post by gravity. Went to take off and the cable moved away from the lug and all went dead. Took a while to sort it out.

·
Premium Member
20,380 Posts
Check the battery. Bike batteries often give no warning before they die.

·
Registered
19,767 Posts
What the others said. Pull and check the 30 amp fuse near the battery. Don't just look at it, but check it with a volt meter. But I do believe your battery crapped out too.

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
Exactly the same thing happened to me when my battery went. Everything was great and then bam.......nothing. Check your battery, if it isn't HIGHER then 12.7 volts it is dead

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Time frame to replace battery?

Reading these stories about the battery just going dead, even while riding.
Any thoughts of what time frame to change out the battery as normal maintenance instead of waiting for it to die?
Seems like once it goes, it goes, unlike a car battery which wont start the car, it sounds like a bike battery can die, even while riding?
What would you all say would be a safe time in years to change it?
Any thoughts? 3, 4, 5 years?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just had a thought...maybe it's the battery!

It IS 13 months old and just slightly out of warranty, so it makes perfect sense. (I think they build them that way.) There were no signs of any problems with it and I never had one just "die" like that so in all honesty I didn't really factor it in or give it a good check.

I'll pull it tomorrow afternoon and get it checked properly to make sure it's either good or bad and post results.

I really appreciate the advice everyone - this is why I came here before spending any real money or wasting any more time chasing my tail!

·
Registered
42 Posts
With batteries they are kinda funky in motorcycles. During the winter I have a battery tender on it at all times to make sure that the cold doesnt harm it. Ofcourse the tender isnt charging it the whole time but it does the job I have had the one in the motorcycle for 2 years now and still running strong. The first battery I had died within the first year after the winter that i didnt have a tender on it.

I would also check the fuses, the one that runs the kick stand switch, fuel pump, and all electrical on the speedo. If this is blown there will be no power and no starting.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I just had a thought...maybe it's the battery!

It IS 13 months old and just slightly out of warranty, so it makes perfect sense. (I think they build them that way.) There were no signs of any problems with it and I never had one just "die" like that so in all honesty I didn't really factor it in or give it a good check.

I'll pull it tomorrow afternoon and get it checked properly to make sure it's either good or bad and post results.

I really appreciate the advice everyone - this is why I came here before spending any real money or wasting any more time chasing my tail!
Check your stator and rr.....that may have lead to the battery failure

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I tend to do a systematic trace starting from battery. Eventually something is wrong along the path.

Most recent fun was a weak spring on the kickstand. Hit a bump, engine cuts out!! That was great!! I squeezed the springs back into shape and no more trouble.

·
Super Moderator
21,403 Posts
if its only 13 months old I would be very surprised if it was the battery...they should last at least 4 years and have read many posts from members here who have had them last longer...good luck.

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
Still on Gators OEM battery ( fingers crossed).

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
a voltmeter is a great thing. Start at the battery and work your way in.
just is case you hadn't thought of it; it could be the battery.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'm getting concerned....I have the original battery in my 2005 C50. It's always been on a Battery Tender if I am not riding it. But it is disconcerting that it could die while riding it...maybe I need to buy some insurance (new battery). Nothing ruins a good ride like having to get trailered/towed home.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
if its only 13 months old I would be very surprised if it was the battery...they should last at least 4 years and have read many posts from members here who have had them last longer...good luck.
Maybe they should last longer, but some just dont

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I'm getting concerned....I have the original battery in my 2005 C50. It's always been on a Battery Tender if I am not riding it. But it is disconcerting that it could die while riding it...maybe I need to buy some insurance (new battery). Nothing ruins a good ride like having to get trailered/towed home.
Well I'm almost 75, and have learned the hard way to just buy a new battery at the end of the 4th riding season,,or have a new bike

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I took the battery over to Advance Auto and had them put the tester on it. The guy said the battery looked fine, just needed a little charge.

The curious thing here is the needing a little charge part.

I'm going to go ahead and charge it up and see what happens. The bike should come to life with a fully charged battery, even if there's a problem in the charging system on the bike. I think... These things just do not behave like their 4 wheeled cousins when it comes to stuff like this.

Thanks for all of the ideas, suggestions and pointers. Going back to square one and I'll let y'all know what I find.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts