Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my clients owns a HD Street Glide. With free labor from his son who is a HD trained mechanic, he dropped in a HD 120R motor, HPI throttle body with fuel injectors and a Thunderheader. Before the motor switch, his bike on the Dyno did 101 HP and 105 torque. He said the new motor on the Dyno yesterday turned out 138 HP and 142 ft lbs torque. Seems like over kill to me. Thoughts on when enough is enough, or in this case maybe too much???? I asked how he thought it would handle stop and go in the heat--response was that no HD motor will do well in stop and go traffic in the heat. I would think meltdown....

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
It won't melt, but it will get so F'n hot on your inner thighs that you'll be willing to jump off and let your $22k Street Glide fall to the ground.

Don't ride your Harley in traffic. It will get hot. Any salesmen worth his salt will tell you about shutting down the rear cylinder in traffic, Parade Mode.

None of us buy Harleys because of their state of the art technology. We by Harleys because when I'm on hiway 33 in Wisconsin, between Cashton and Hillsboro on a Friday afternoon and I roll on the throttle of my '08 Street Glide.........I am reminded of my understanding of what it means to be an enthusast.

HP and Torque numbers are kind of subjective. The only number that counts is torque at the wheel, everything else is nothing more than a mathematical calculation.

Unless your pushing air it's pretty hard to get an HD VTwin to put out more than 100HP at the wheel.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Generally what are your thoughts about the power of the engine. I've never ridden anything greater than my brother's HD with a 103. My client said the front wheel wants to lift on take off. Makes me wonder if there is a greater risk of loss of control on a bike with that much power. Of course, like I said, I have very limited experience with different motor sizes.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
The HD VTwin makes good power.

I think where HD does a really good job is in matching engine torque and transmission gearing.

I've never rode a HD, whether it be a 74, 88, 96, or 103 when I thought the transmission was not very well matched to the engine.

When you say "loss of control on a bike of that much power", think of the power some of the sport bikes make. 105HP on a dyno from an HD is nothing like what a Hayabusa is capable of. And they go so fast you don't even know your legs are hot.:biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Too much power - are you serious??? The M109 cranks out over 120lbs of torque stock. I saw a guy on a Roadking with a supercharger - I'm not lying - crazy fast. It depends on the skill of the rider - there are some where the C50 is way too much power and there are those who can ride a 120ci bike one handed through traffic.

Too much power - nope, to each his own.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,945 Posts

·
Administrator
29,599 Posts
One of my clients owns a HD Street Glide. With free labor from his son who is a HD trained mechanic, he dropped in a HD 120R motor, HPI throttle body with fuel injectors and a Thunderheader. Before the motor switch, his bike on the Dyno did 101 HP and 105 torque. He said the new motor on the Dyno yesterday turned out 138 HP and 142 ft lbs torque. Seems like over kill to me. Thoughts on when enough is enough, or in this case maybe too much???? I asked how he thought it would handle stop and go in the heat--response was that no HD motor will do well in stop and go traffic in the heat. I would think meltdown....

Your friend is full of poop. A brand new street glide puts out about 75 horsepower according to the Motor Company. Hes saying he doubled that by switching magic engines... Uhhhh... OK.
http://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/662453-120r-realistic-hp-tq-numbers.html
Looks like 120 is a more realistic number.

120 hp in an 800 pound harley is just replacing a boat anchor with a bigger boat anchor. I would just keep the original boat anchor, a street glide isnt much of a racer

The perfect motorcycle puts out about 80 and 80 and weighs about 550 pounds. I drop about 110 and 90 to the back wheel and weigh 500 pounds... Heck no, its not enough power.... OK it really is, I can go faster than I'd ever want to go... And can outrun any street glide... Even one with magic cams and a 120R screaming. Beagle thrustmaster stage IV...

But would I,like a Ducati that weighs 550 and has 136 hp, for real... Heck yes!

Bottom line, horsepower to weight ratio is everything, I like as much as I can get away with and of course air cooled engines get hot.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
With big cruisers it's more about torque than horsepower. A modern HD puts out about 70hp stock but pulls about 100lbs of torque. It's all about pulling power at low revs. Comparing a Street Glide to a Ducati is apples and oranges.

·
Administrator
29,599 Posts
With big cruisers it's more about torque than horsepower. A modern HD puts out about 70hp stock but pulls about 100lbs of torque. It's all about pulling power at low revs. Comparing a Street Glide to a Ducati is apples and oranges.

Yes, because the power output is only important on one of them :). ( kind of my point ).

To answer your original question more clearly, I dont think its important at all how much power a cruiser has... No matter how much or how little, they are too heavy to benefit. Put a stock 75 hp harley engine in a Harley... You'll have a nice, expensive cruiser. Start tinkering with it and you'll still have a slow bike, its just youll increase the odds of launching a rod through the motor.

Whether its torque or horsepower, its unimportant. You have to assume that people modify engines to go faster. Have to. I would just go out on craigslist for 3500 bucks and buy a used Honda sportbike and ride it when I wanted to go fast. Then get out my street glide... And probably be a thousand dollars richer.

I agree that you cannot compare apples and orange. I also am certain you cannot make an apple an asian pear :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
I agree that you cannot compare apples and orange. I also am certain you cannot make an apple an asian pear :)

Sent from Motorcycle.com App[/QUOTE]

:biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
People don't modify Harley engines because they want fast bikes.

They modify Harley engines because they want faster Harley's.

They don't care if their Street Glide is not as fast as your Ducati, that's not the point, matter of fact that's plain dumb.

They want THEIR Street Glide to be faster than YOUR Street Glide.

Again it's that apples and oranges thing.

Back to the original question, one would not have to go too far to end up with more motor than that Harley Touring frame can handle.

But kept within it's design parameters, it is a very satisfying platform.......depending on what you want it to do.

·
Administrator
29,599 Posts

·
Administrator
29,599 Posts
If I wanted a faster Harley, I'd buy one...

Of course, Victory would make it...

Or a triumph thunderbird or Rocket

Or a Ducati Diavel (yep, its a cruiser)

Or a Suzuki m109

Or a Vmax...

Or a Honda

Or a Buell and a mechanic to work on it.

Tons of harleys that can outrun a Harley... If you need to, just put a Harley Badge on it...

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
If I wanted a faster Harley I'd have Brian Klock build me one. His wifes bike hit 153.906mph at Bonneville.

But I wouldn't compare my orange to anybody's apple. That's just stupid.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
you know what I mean- people sinking thousands of dollars into a bike to get marginal increase in performance out of it is nothing but a "mine is bigger" contest. Something like the bike you are describing is the extreme end of that. But, if that's what floats your (the collective your, not you personally) boat, more power to them. I'll take a stock bike that can go 150+ and spend the thousands of dollars I saved riding it places.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts