Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, tonight was my turn... It just stopped raining, I was going about 25 mph on highway in slow moving traffic and preparing to change lanes. I took a quick glance over my left shoulder, looked back to the front, and saw a van in front of me stop abruptly. Normal scenario on highways and I’ve been in those a hundred times. I must have locked up the rear or front brake, and bike fell over on the left side. Low speed, maybe 15-25 MPH, but it did throw me off the bike and to the side and dragged me a bit.

Bike damage: scratched front fender, bent forward control foot peg shifter, scratched auxiliary light, slightly scuffed handlebar shield and cracked left Leatherlyke saddlebag.

I was wearing full face helmet, motorcycle boots, winter motorcycle gloves, jacket and Helite Turtle airbag west. No motorcycle pants, just jeans. The only damage to me: a bruise and road rush on my left knee, and a light bruise on my left hip. Helmet shield scratched (did its job - I saw the road bounce in front of my face), left boot scratched badly (must have dragged under the bike for a bit), Helite Turtle airbag deployed (did its job), jacket has light scuffing on shoulder.

Post crash thoughts:
I had some health problems for the past few weeks, and I was not 100% on top of my game today, but I still decided to ride. In addition to that, road was wet. I must have overreacted on the brakes, and tires either caught a wet road marking or just the road surface was too wet.. Result: I’m on the ground angry and happy at the same time.

A couple of things come to mind when you crash for the first time. It can’t happen to me, how come?! Well, here is a reality check! First emotion is happiness - I’m alive and probably unharmed. Then make sure bike is off. Second emotion - angry that your dropped YOUR bike! Then I could hear sounds again, and I’ve heard a strange hissing noise and feeling somehow restricted in movement: Helite Turtle airbag deflating - it really worked! I hoped but had my doubts. I even bragged to a guy who stopped to ask if I’m OK. Helite just got a customer for life. Only if I wore my motorcycle pants with armor this evening (I have two pairs...).
Conclusion: I’m alive, unharmed, I rode my bike home to my family. Damage to the bike is unfortunate, but should be fixable relatively easy. I was looking to get a new helmet: it is time to get another :) Riding a motorcycle when you are not 100% for whatever reason is like playing dice with your life. I walked/rode away from this one, and I’m glad God gave me a lesson with my wallet and not my health or life. One other thing: ATGAT all the time. If it were 40 MPH or higher, I might have cracked my knee cap or broke a hip by not having proper motorcycle pants with armor.

P.S. kinda thinking to myself: probably this crash would not have happened if my bike had ABS.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Sorry to hear you went down.
Glad you are ok.

·
Administrator
16,308 Posts
Any crash you walk away from relatively Ok and are able to post here is a good one.

Glad the vest worked as is should have.

Bikes can be fixed. You had a leaky saddlebag anyways, now your able to justify some new bags :)

·
Super Moderator
25,189 Posts
Glad to hear that you came out well. You might want to get checked by a doc anyway, just to be safe, but being and to ride it on home is a good thing. Sounds like ABS would have helped on this one, but hindsight is always 20/20.

·
Super Moderator
20,470 Posts
glad to read you walked away from it...first read I have read on anyone using the air vest...kudo for the purchase as well as being dressed to ride...not feeling 100% when turning the key is a decision we all make differently, many of us have been there there done that and fortunately have been not affected, sh!t happens,,,glad the damage wasn't too bad...good luck with getting the bike back up and running...hate riding on wet roads.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for warm word! Thank God I'm just a little sore today after crash. Could have been so much worse.

Protective gear and airbag vest - definitely very useful! I crashed on my sport bicycle some years ago at a similar speed, and landed flat on my right shoulder. Result: cracked collar bone, helmet completely trashed, road rush all over and neck pain for next several weeks. Helite vest fixated my full face helmet in place by inflating shoulder pads. I think I did not get even a neck strain because of that. Boots definitely did their job as well: the tip of the boot is shaved down. I can't even imagine the damage I could have had if I wore regular shoes.
Leatherlike appears out of business, so I can't even order a matching saddlebag... Everything else is fixable with a bit of wrenching and bending. I probably won't even touch the bumper...

·
Registered
19,513 Posts
Welcome to the club. When I went through the MSF basic rider's course many many years ago, the instructor told us there are two types of riders. Those who have crashed and those who will. Congratulations on making the right choice with your gear. Too many riders think motorcycling is a fashion sport and pay the price when gravity takes over. A t shirt and doo-rag won't help much when your body meets pavement.

You are absolutely right that this could have been prevented with ABS. I practiced panic stopping 1000 times, but when it came time to do it for real on the interstate, I still managed to lock up the rear wheel and wreck. Adrenaline takes over and your instinct is to mash that pedal as hard as you can. The obsolete mechanical drum brake on the C50 has too modes. No stop and full stop. There is no in between. I finally bought a bike with ABS and I will never ride another without it.

Rest and heal up. You've had a big day.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome to the club. When I went through the MSF basic rider's course many many years ago, the instructor told us there are two types of riders. Those who have crashed and those who will. Congratulations on making the right choice with your gear. Too many riders think motorcycling is a fashion sport and pay the price when gravity takes over. A t shirt and doo-rag won't help much when your body meets pavement.

You are absolutely right that this could have been prevented with ABS. I practiced panic stopping 1000 times, but when it came time to do it for real on the interstate, I still managed to lock up the rear wheel and wreck. Adrenaline takes over and your instinct is to mash that pedal as hard as you can. The obsolete mechanical drum brake on the C50 has too modes. No stop and full stop. There is no in between. I finally bought a bike with ABS and I will never ride another without it.

Rest and heal up. You've had a big day.
I took both MSF basics and advanced, later on my C50. I practiced emergency stopping just as you did in my spare time... still this crash happened. I'm not ready to get a new bike just yet, but C50 shortcomings are more and more apparent to me. I don't know which brake I locked-up, but panic braking definitely caused this crash and ABS should have helped on a wet road. I did lock-up my rear brake a few times before in similar situations, so ABS is a must on the next bike.

It will take several weeks to get the bike fixed-up, hopefully nothing critical is damaged. I will definitely take some time to get this experience out of my system.

·
Super Moderator
25,189 Posts
I used to lock up the rear brake on my C50 all the damn time. That brake only has two modes, off and locked up. It's completely useless for anything other than slow speed maneuvering and slowing down a bit going into a curve. I'd bet it was the rear that locked up on you.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I used to lock up the rear brake on my C50 all the damn time. That brake only has two modes, off and locked up. It's completely useless for anything other than slow speed maneuvering and slowing down a bit going into a curve. I'd bet it was the rear that locked up on you.
I think you are right, and I did lock up the rear. I went down with the bike, thrown off the bike to the left, not front or over. Every time I locked-up the rear wheel before, bike's rear went to the right. It felt like the bike twisted and went over to one side.

·
Super Moderator
8,881 Posts
Fireman, thank you for sharing your story and letting us know you are ok!!

Especially, thank you for your description of the Helite vest. I'm an ATGATT rider, and I've considered adding a Helite or similar safety vest to my collection of gear.

As to your LeatherLykes, please check eBay. I often see C50-compatible LeatherLyke sets for sale there.

Thanks again, and bless you!!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fireman, thank you for sharing your story and letting us know you are ok!!

Especially, thank you for your description of the Helite vest. I'm an ATGATT rider, and I've considered adding a Helite or similar safety vest to my collection of gear.

As to your LeatherLykes, please check eBay. I often see C50-compatible LeatherLyke sets for sale there.

Thanks again, and bless you!!

I think airbag vests would be a very good addition to your kit, just realize they are not "magical" and will help only in a number of scenarios. I mostly wanted to have my neck supported, and I believe Helite did it. I was still somewhat sore, probably due to shoulder impact that resonated into the rest of my upper body. It is scary how much energy is released into a rider's body during a crash, even at slower speeds.
Thank you for the suggestion! I will keep an eye on eBay listings for saddle bags. There is one Leatherlike set from a wrecked bike. Looks rough and I would not be surprised to find cracks and de-lamination at rivet points. Will keep looking, it is not very urgent.

·
Registered
932 Posts
FireManC50, glad you are ok & +1 to everyone's comments on gear and health over fashion. I have a pair of LeatherLyke bags in my basement for an '05 C50. Bought off another member here. Condition is good, not great. Depending on what style you have and which side you need, I might be able to help you out.

Or PM me and we can exchange pictures.

·
Super Moderator
25,189 Posts
If you really just want your neck supported, don't they sell an airbag collar for a lot cheaper than the vest?

Just a thought, and I really have no idea what I'm talking about, so feel free to ignore me. Everyone else does.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts