Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I filled up both my bikes about 5 weeks ago. Due to unforeseen circumstances I have not been able to put any real miles on them, and they are both at least 4/5 full. Im starting to worry about old gas problems occurring. Should I add Sta-bil or some other gas stabilizer to my tanks to head off this problem? Is it damaging it any way to run sta-bil constantly, if I'm only running the bikes 10-20 miles per week.

·
Super Moderator
9,307 Posts
Sta-Bil in a tank does no harm whatsoever.

But if you don't run the bikes at least a few miles, or at a minimum fire 'em up and let them idle for 5 or 10 minutes, to circulate the Sta-Bil-ized gas through the system, you're not getting the benefit of the treatment.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sta-Bil in a tank does no harm whatsoever.

But if you don't run the bikes at least a few miles, or at a minimum fire 'em up and let them idle for 5 or 10 minutes, to circulate the Sta-Bil-ized gas through the system, you're not getting the benefit of the treatment.
I'm riding both of them about 30min, about once a week on average.

Reactions: Woodswoman

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use Startron.
Marine blue Sta-Bil is better than the pink for about the same price.
Seems like I read somewhere that running Sta-bil all the time isn't good for your engine. Any truth to that? And why do you use Startron, is it better?

·
Super Moderator
23,931 Posts
I only add it when I fiigure I'm done riding for the year...don't see a reason to be using it while I still ride...I do add seafoam to my gas every 1k miles to clean out the injectors or if its running rough from possibly a bad tank of gas picked up along the way.

·
Super Moderator
63,555 Posts
Seems like I read somewhere that running Sta-bil all the time isn't good for your engine. Any truth to that? And why do you use Startron, is it better?
StarTron, at 1 oz/16 gal will stabilize fuel for 2 years. StaBil at 2 oz./2.5 gal will stabilize fuel for 2 years. ACCORDING TO EACH MANUFACTURERS' SITE, StarTron will treat 6.4 times more fuel than Marine Stabil for the same price, and preserve the fuel twice as long.

Seafoam is made for outbaords and 2 cycle engines. There are better products for 4 stroke.

Can't go with the Cliff Notes, sometimes you gotta do some homework :p

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
When I put our bikes and my antique car away for our 5 month long winters, I always add the marine Stal-bil and Startron with the gas tank filled.
Never had an issue when starting them in the spring.
All good.

·
Super Moderator
63,555 Posts
When I put our bikes and my antique car away for our 5 month long winters, I always add the marine Stal-bil and Startron with the gas tank filled.
All good.
What antique do you have Bob?

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All good.
You use both at the same time in the same tank?

·
Registered
20,700 Posts
I have two different methods of long term storage. One is to fill the tank, add an appropriate amount of Stabil and run the engine for 10 minutes to make sure it is well circulated. The other is to drain the tank completely, then start and run the engine until it starves for gas. Either method works.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I have two different methods of long term storage. One is to fill the tank, add an appropriate amount of Stabil and run the engine for 10 minutes to make sure it is well circulated. The other is to drain the tank completely, then start and run the engine until it starves for gas. Either method works.
I guess I didn't make it clear in my original post. I'm not storing them for the winter. I'm just putting very few miles on them. At this rate its gonna take 6 months to go through a tank of gas. Is it ok to run sta-bil for months at a time, never refreshing the gas. Untill the tanks need it, to avoid rust. Or in other words is it ok to just run sta-bil constantly. I edited my original post to clarify this.

·
Registered
20,700 Posts
Won't hurt a thing. It will also help to clear the injectors and intake of varnish

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok....I Sta-biled the Harley, then ran it about 20-30 miles. Will do the triumph tomorrow...Thanks for the input guys!!!

Reactions: beezer

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1951 Plymouth Cambridge.
Do you have the coupe or the 4 door. My old man was a big Plymouth fan. We had the 1957 Fury (Christine car). He said it was the best handling car he ever owned. Road like it was on rails.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts