Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a two parter....

DJ drive.....

Well, I'm on the list already. So that's out of the way.

I bought my used C50 without having a license or ridden before. After taking the MSF course, I found that I LOVE to corner aggresively. Which the C50 kinda limits. I'm not upset at all, since I got a good deal on a used bike which I love and feel comfortable learning on.

So I've been on a kick lately of looking at bikes that would allow me more cornering clearance while still being comfortable nough to cruise on. I'm REALLY checking out the V-strom 650. I'm a small guy (5'4", 165 lbs) and figure I don't need anything 1000+ and apparantly it's a darned good all-around bike.

So I figure right after I come back from deployment to iraq (again) - I leave around January will probably be gone about a year - I will reaquaint myself with the C50 getting back into the groove of biking, and then look to trade in/sell for a v-strom or other all-around type bike.

But I know that dealers and sometimes people look "unkindly" to modded bikes. So in your valued and knowledgable opinions, is it worth spending 450 for about a years worth of DJ drive? Think I can get it back in the price of the bike or in the price of reselling it about two years from now? I like everything it's supposed to do, and DO do a lot of touring around at 65 - 75 MPH, but I know the bike can run at that speed without it. I might just deal with the higher revs for a year if I know I will be trading in the bike later.

V-strom 650

Right now I am riding two-up with my wife. But she's going to get a big scooter while I'm deployed and will probably be riding that on her own when we go out for rides after I get back. So I'm looking for something for ME. from reading good 'ol internet reviews, it seems that the V-strom 650 would fit me well. Apparantly it can cruise well at 75 mph, has six gears for a nice overdrive feel at that speed, can corner, handle gravel/fire roads, twisties, has a pretty comfortable seating position (I'd probably still look at an aftermarket seat though), and can accomodate a fairing to protect my legs from things like weather or gravel or something.

Like I said above, i find that I am a bit of an aggresive cornerer (have dragged my floorboards more than a few times, and recently dragged my cobra bars when they were on my bike) and feel like I might better enjoy this bike. So any thoughts on the v-strom in general? Do you think it'll hold up for a long time? Know how it'll handle daily commuting in town as well as backroads? I like that the reviews say it handles gravel and badly paved roads well since there are certainly quite a few farm roads where I am that have those conditions.

Just gathering information so I can plan ahead and start saving now for whatever you guys recommend. You haven't steered me wrong so far and I've found forums to be a great place to get varied opinions and bring up things that I may not have thought of if I hadn't had asked for those opinions.

Alexi

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Stroms are sweet,
Myself I'm looking at the used Kawa Concours...I think that's a bike I could easily grow into.

Went to a bike demo at A&S here in Roseville today...I got to try a BMW R 1150 police model...
What a smooth bike...just can't swing a BMW (or any other) now unless I sell off the 50...

Edit,
Alexi PM Ted Bell,
Ted has a Strom..I'm sure he would love to answer all V-Strom questions!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Your Questions are many,first I want to thank you for your service in this time of war. ok the DJ drive is going to be subjective . I have an 02Volusia with the normal upgrades ,carb ,exhause ,etc and I run the Highways with no problem or need for another gear. I guess the revs just are no big deal for me. If you do not lower the bike and take off the boards and go to pegs you can throw this bike around pretty good. As far as the Vstorm I just don't know. I think if I were younger I would have one :lol: Take your time do your research and when the time is right you will find that special bike for you. Best wishes :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jayburdd said:
Your Questions are many,first I want to thank you for your service in this time of war. ok the DJ drive is going to be subjective . I have an 02Volusia with the normal upgrades ,carb ,exhause ,etc and I run the Highways with no problem or need for another gear. I guess the revs just are no big deal for me. If you do not lower the bike and take off the boards and go to pegs you can throw this bike around pretty good. As far as the Vstorm I just don't know. I think if I were younger I would have one :lol: Take your time do your research and when the time is right you will find that special bike for you. Best wishes :)
I've debated putting on pegs instead of flooboards and just a toe shifter instead of my heel/toe. And I KNOW there are people here who would trade in a heartbeat (and probably pay all the shipping), but I don't want to change the fundamentals TOO much in case I do end up trading in or selling it. I'm already going to put easy brackets and new bags (the old ones ain't cutting it anymore), and I'm trying to stay conservative with mods and whatnot until I make an all out decision on getting a standard.

Like I said above though, had I taken the MSF course BEFORE buying a bike, I probably would have went standard from the get-go. Oh well. thanks for your advice.

And I'm gonna check with Ted Bell. Thanks for the info!

Alexi

·
Premium Member
7,988 Posts
IMHO the "Wee" strom is severely underpowered.... that being said, i have recently gotten past its fugly looks and been eying a DL1000 till it just got sold.... i say test ride it first...... the following is an excerpt from a conversation from a buddy (Wee-strom owner) and me...

Him: Did you see it outside when you came in?
Me: Yeah
Him: what do you think?
Me: Its fcuking ugly as sin, man.... why did you sell your honda for that??
Him: Its practical.

and you cant argue with that....... lol.... he put top case and side bags, tank bag and has farkled the c0ckpit out with GPS, XM, among other gadgets and gotten a different windshield.

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
You probably can sell the DJ Drive separately if you decide to trade the C50 for another bike. The Dj comes with spacers to reinstall the C50 final drive. So go ahead and install the DJ drive when you get it. I would not recommend trading or selling your C50 with the DJ Drive only, unless, the buyer would pay the $450-$550 more than the bike price.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I have a 05 C50 and a 07 DL650 Wee. The wee has broad torque bands and plenty of guts up to 85-90. Don't know above 90 'cause I don't go there. The Vstrom is really a combination bike in the sense that it will do many things and some of them well. For me it is a sport touring and will take me 25 miles up a forest roads to a hidden fishing hole. It has plenty of power for two up and the only complaint some have is that it gets buzzy above 80. It does not seem bad to me, but neither does the C50 at 80. (Although I still look for 6th and am waiting to try a DJ bike so that I can feel the difference the DJ drive makes at 25-80.)

But I think you have answered your own question. You need to try different bikes now that you are gaining confidence. The wee is capable of being driven more aggressively than the C50, but it is not an aggressive bike. Experienced riders can ride it aggressively. Unless you are looking for a sport touring bike, the wee may not be aggressive enough for your developing skill. The kawa Versys is more of a street bike with a standard seating position so it is one step closer to aggressive street riding. You should try both. I tried the 1000 and preferred the wee, but that is more subjective and you will not go wrong with either once you have tested both and made you decision on features that are important to you.

·
Administrator
29,689 Posts
I like the Strom a lot, It is a versatile and good performing bike. I do prefer the 1000 over 650 but the 650 is a lighter crisper bike.

BMW will be putting out its GS800 this year in the US (sometime.) The bike is a monster, has real off road capability and will be priced similarly to the 1000 strom. Also the kawasaki Versys is available.

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
sfalexi, Thank you for your military service. I am 5'7" and I have a hard time with standard bikes, sport bikes and even the Yamaha Roadstar. Some riders don't mind not being flat footed at stops, but I want to be flat footed. Since you are 5'4", I guess you don't mind having to lean the bike over at stops to get your left foot on the ground?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you for all the replies. I'm actually looking for a budget sport touring, which it looks like the vstrom can handle. I like that it has the capability for badly paved roads. I'm finding I do like to do exploring, then press "home" on the gps and let it guide me back.

As for the weight and seat height, I'm feeling more confident not flatfooting (my c50 and mustang seats raises the height more than I thought) but that could be a major issue. Of course I've already found lowering links and seat mods. LOL. Good ol Internet! Thanks for the replies. If anyone has anymore thoughts, feel free to chime in.

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
Ya a slight hijack. When get over there tell your brothers in arms that go to afganastan that hondas w/ red cloth hanging off bars are Talaban.

See my Talaban thread in playground. No joke!

Hijack over.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
If you want to carve some curvy roads find someone who has a 250 Ninja. So light and has plenty of power as long as you keep the "R's" up near red line. A real kick in the pants but I'm way past my prime so no Ninja's for me.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Duffy said:
If you want to carve some curvy roads find someone who has a 250 Ninja. So light and has plenty of power as long as you keep the "R's" up near red line. A real kick in the pants but I'm way past my prime so no Ninja's for me.
I HAVE considered this route. REALLY cheap to find one used and excellent gas mileage. And it's not so small for 5'4" me that I'd look ridiculous on it. I'm still considering it as it's more than cheap enough for me to justify owning that AND keeping the C50T. Just getting lots of ideas and mulling them over.

Alexi

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
sfalexi said:
thank you for all the replies. I'm actually looking for a budget sport touring, which it looks like the vstrom can handle. I like that it has the capability for badly paved roads. I'm finding I do like to do exploring, then press "home" on the gps and let it guide me back.

As for the weight and seat height, I'm feeling more confident not flatfooting (my c50 and mustang seats raises the height more than I thought) but that could be a major issue. Of course I've already found lowering links and seat mods. LOL. Good ol Internet! Thanks for the replies. If anyone has anymore thoughts, feel free to chime in.
My wife, the infamous FlyingJLady, traded her 650 V-Star for a Kawasaki ZZR 600. With removable soft luggage this bike IS a sport tourer. It's capable of maintaining a high speed on a variety of paved roads and the cornering performance approaches pure sport bikes. She's sold on it. Great bike for a shorter rider! We'll see how she does on the Ronnie Reno Rally.
~FF~

·
Registered
590 Posts
Thank you for your service brother ... and give your family a big hug and thank you from us as well ... as an Army brat myself I know it is the whole family that serves along with you ...

... as for your bike ... don't do a thing to it other than keep it shiny and serviced ... no one wants to pay for custom or chrome come sales day ... get what you like when you get back or keep it for your lady (she just might outgrow that scooter) ... plenty of lady riders love the C50/VL800 ...

Ride and Serve Blessed ...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts