Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've had excellent results with the Commander II's, Metzeler ME880's, and Shinko 230 Tour Masters. The Shinko's offer outstanding grip (seriously, they were pretty much the only tire that my Vmax wouldn't burn off through third gear), but don't last quite as long as the Metz or Michelin. That said, they're also like half the price. I put a set of Tourmasters on my buddy's C50, he doesn't ride aggressively, and the set currently has about 12k, and I bet the rear will go to about 15k before needing a swap. Not bad for a $70 tire. I can confidently drag the floorboards and the tire has much more grip than the engine does power, so not sure what else you can really ask for.

Keep in mind the C50 uses fairly "traditional" tire sizes. The M90/M109 use more modern sizes that have more sport/sport touring rubber available, but given the C50's modest power and intent, not really an issue. If you bought a C50 to rail corners with, you're on the wrong bike.

Also, the ME888 is a much harder tire than the older ME880. Both are still available, but they seem to slowly be discontinuing sizes in the 880 and replacing them with the 888. They definitely traded grip for longevity on the 888. I ran a set on my Scout, and while durability was impressive, grip was not, particularly in colder or wet conditions. They always felt like a cold tire, because they were. I'd feel them after an hour on the freeway and they're only barely warmer than ambient. Probably good for wear and fuel economy, not so much for feel or grip.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tossing my hat in the ring for Commander IIs. I used them on my Road Star and received excellent mileage with them. Usually 15k to 18k and that's living in hill country with a lot of winding roads. They'll go on my M50 when the time comes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Replaced the original front IRC and a very bald metzler 880 with 2 new metzler 888's. Pretty happy with them 500 or so miles in. Bike doesnt want to stay in the grooves like the old ones did and it's a pretty smooth ride. Cant really speak for cold or wet traction. For me, that's drive the truck weather 😁

21 - 23 of 23 Posts