Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This topic has probably been discussed to death on here but gonna ask anyway.

Well it was a nice day to tinker with my bike in the garage.

I have decided that I'm going to replace my tires, they are still original (03) IRC with 10000km on them, I bought the bike last year, I see no signs of dry rot or cracks. but the rear has worn down to the wear bars, and the front is cupped a bit.

If I buy tires on line would you take the bike to the dealer, or would you take the wheels off and take the wheels to the dealer to have the new tires installed.

And what would be a good tire

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Take the wheels off and take them to an independent mechanic. not a dealer.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
If you've got a really good independent mechanic in your area, you will probably save $$ by going to him. Personally I don't take the wheels off the bike I just ride it to my mechanic and he is not only an excellent mechanic, he's also meticulous and very careful with the bike, all for a really, really good price. I took my bike to a dealer one time to change my tire and he charged a LOT more than I pay now.

Which tire to buy is one of those flame war topics, everyone has their favourites. You'll hear lots of opinions, that cover the whole range of possible price points. Personally I had a great experience with Kenda Kruz tires, great performance and longlasting tread for a very reasonable price.

·
Registered
138 Posts
For tires, I have used Metzeler ME 880 Marathon with good results.
Now running MetzelerME 888.

You will need a motorcycle jack so you can raise the bike up high enough to remove the rear tire. (Can be a real pain otherwise).
Otherwise, take it to someone that has one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts