Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my manual says cold tire pressure front 29 rear 36 but bike rides like crap at this pressure and gets 28-32mpg....I put 40 front 44 rear get 45-57mpg ride is awesome whats the deal with factory specs??????makes me wonder what else there wrong about huh?//What pressure is good???

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Maybe tire gauge is miscalibrated?
Sounds like you were riding around on flat tires. I run 33 frt and 36 rear on digital guage on a C50T.
boulevard c50 said:
my manual says cold tire pressure front 29 rear 36 but bike rides like crap at this pressure and gets 28-32mpg....I put 40 front 44 rear get 45-57mpg ride is awesome whats the deal with factory specs??????makes me wonder what else there wrong about huh?//What pressure is good???

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
After all your posting about mileage tire pressure etc...

I checked mine the front was 16 pounds rear was 39 :shock:

How the hell did the front get down to 16 psi???
Geez I just checked 'um 4 months ago......................................................................................................

j\king

Keep an eye on those tires...now can we move on to something else?

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Jimco said:
After all your posting about mileage tire pressure etc...

I checked mine the front was 16 pounds rear was 39 :shock:

How the hell did the front get down 16???
Geez I just checked 'um 4 months ago......................................................................................................

j\king

Keep an eye on those tires...now can we move on to something else?
Nail in the front tire or mischief kids lurking near your bike! :lol:

·
Registered
219 Posts
As a general rule, the higher the pressure the less the traction. When I am going to be doing along road trip on a supper slab I will run 36 front and 40 rear. Mostly I just follow the manuals pressures.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I run about 32-33 in the front, 36 in the rear tire. No problems and have saddlebags, windshield, lightbar, luggage rack, and a few other goodies that add to the weight. If you ride 2 up, I would put in more, but for normal 1 person riding, the numbers I listed seem just fine. No handling problems and comfortable ride.

-- Hornet --

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
yeah, as a general rule higher pressure equals smoother ride and better gas mileage due to less friction... but you get a MUCH smaller contact patch and will have a lot less grip/traction..

Lower pressure will give you much better traction at the expense of higher friction which will cause crappy gas mileage and more importantly due to the tubed tires increases the chance of a blow out due to friction between the tube and tire.

·
Registered
959 Posts
tire pressure

How about those of you with the Pirelli MT 66 tires. Im running both at 40#. I believe thats withing the range given by Pirelli. How about you guys?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Freebird, how many miles are you getting out of your Pirelli 66's? I had a set of those. I rode mostly 2-up, and kept the standard 29# - 36# in them. They wore more on the left side (probably due to the road angle). The front tire only lasted about 7,000 miles. The back is still on at 11.000 miles, and probably OK for another 1,000 or so.

·
Registered
959 Posts
pirelli

Buckeye, Ive only had them on for a few weeks. Somewhere I found a site that listed the pressure around 40#each tire. Plus I believe thats whats listed on the side. maybe you are underinflating them?
Im going to try and find that info again. If i do, ill post it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a 05 C50T and ride a mix of solo and 2 up, the wife has a 06 S50
sometimes she just feels like relaxing on the back though...

Anyways I put on Metzeler 880 whitewalls they have 7,000 miles on them now, and look like they are in great shape, could get another 5,000 out of them i keep the front tire at 36# and the rear at 40#

The ride is nice at those pressures and handles good too, just went on a trip to the dragon and then over to Myrtle Beach. We did around 2500 miles in the 5 days (started in PA). The point I guess is very happy with these tires so far.

I swapped out my factory tires around 9,800 miles.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Re: tire pressure

freebird77 said:
Found it
For the mt66 it says between 32- 42 front. 36- 42 rear

http://www.us.pirelli.com/en_US/browser/attachments/pdf/PIRELLI_FULL_07.pdf
Thanks. I'll try some extra pressure on my next set.

As for the pressure level that is on the sidewall, I've read many times on this site that that pressure is a maximum, not a standard recommendation.

I was going by the pressure levels that are on the label on the bike. I think that label is on the right swingarm.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts