Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, how goes it? Starting to adapt to the cold riding..... I'm looking for a tire, seems my front could use to be replaced. The previous owner allowed it to sit a bit over the last 2 years and the Rear is fine but the front is due. When I had my previous bikes (Sport bikes) I always went to Cycle Gear bc locally it was the best/cheapest place to get tires. Last week I priced out a front for my 2005 C50. The Suzuki dealer quoted me on a Metzler 205$ installed. That seemed a little steep to me, but who knows. I was hoping you folks could guide me. I don't need the top of the hill for tires but something decent. I use to always prefer the Michelin pilots on my sport bikes, any reccomendations.... Help?:eek:utcold:

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Recommendations on a specific tire or on a cheap source?

I always loved the Metzlers on my C50, other folks had their own favorites and some lower priced alternatives. As I recall Motorcycle Superstore had good online prices and I know I've found a set or two elsewhere when I bought online. A Google search will turn up some sources, and then you can compare prices or Google a specific tire if you have one in mind. I always found online prices beat my dealer by a substantial amount. Problem was much of the savings was offset when I had to pay someone to mount them. Most places charge a jacked up rate to install tires you didn't buy from them (your experience may differ).

Don't be afraid to check around locally though. I found a local independent mechanic I've been using the last several years and the last few sets of tires I bought through him. His price for tires & mount pretty much beat or matched the online deals I found, and I got to give my money to the guy down the street instead of some internet site.

·
Registered
818 Posts
If you're happy with all black tyres go the Michelin Commanders. I put them on for a couple of weeks then caved and bought Metzler white walls.

They are far better than the Metzler, no tram tracking on uneven surfaces, a much better riding tyre.

I'm biased, I ran Pilots as well on my VFR800.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I've been researching tires, anticipating possible new sneakers this year, and I was looking at the Metzlers as well. They do appear to be a more pricey tire, but I've read that the cost was balanced out with longer wear. You also need to consider the installation/labor costs. I continue to research on-line.

·
Registered
19,507 Posts
I've been a fan of the Metzler ME880 for years. Just switched to the Michelin Commander 2 last September. So far, very happy with the tire. You can't go wrong with either.

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
Hey folks, how goes it? Starting to adapt to the cold riding..... I'm looking for a tire, seems my front could use to be replaced. The previous owner allowed it to sit a bit over the last 2 years and the Rear is fine but the front is due. When I had my previous bikes (Sport bikes) I always went to Cycle Gear bc locally it was the best/cheapest place to get tires. Last week I priced out a front for my 2005 C50. The Suzuki dealer quoted me on a Metzler 205$ installed. That seemed a little steep to me, but who knows. I was hoping you folks could guide me. I don't need the top of the hill for tires but something decent. I use to always prefer the Michelin pilots on my sport bikes, any reccomendations.... Help?:eek:utcold:
I'd love to get a Metzler for $205 installed...... :moneyeyes:

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I'd love to get a Metzler for $205 installed...... :moneyeyes:
I think the last time I had two installed it was $405 total, ride out price. I replace annually. 3rd set since 2010.

·
Registered
73 Posts
And another Happy Metzler ME880 user.....is me. I found one set at my local bike shop. He was glad to move them out....

NOTE: the signature picture is the OEM tire and my new C90 Final Drive.

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
I think the last time I had two installed it was $405 total, ride out price. I replace annually. 3rd set since 2010.
I wonder if I might ''need'' tires the next time I visit the USA............:boozin:

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
I went with Kenda Kruz and they're a great tire, good traction and very long life, and not nearly as expensive as other good tires, although the price has definitely risen in the last couple of years (perhaps as they're getting more well known). They don't come in the right size for my C90 so I went with the Pirelli MT66 and love them too, great tire as well.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts

Just asking: Do you replace annually because your annual mileage requires this? From your posts it does appear that you probably ride the tires out. Would there be another reason for such regular frequent tire changes (other than tire damage)?

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Just asking: Do you replace annually because your annual mileage requires this? From your posts it does appear that you probably ride the tires out. Would there be another reason for such regular frequent tire changes (other than tire damage)?
Yes, I pile up the miles. Average between 15-20k per year. Once I get to 15k, I start to really watch the tread depth and if I plan on taking a long road trip, I may change early than the 18k that I'm used to. Due to starting this schedule in the summer, which is riding vacation time for us, I try to get it done either before the trip or right after. Tire pressure makes a huge difference on tires so its important to maintain proper pressure and we also ride a few thousand of my overall miles 2up. I use the WWW Metzlers with complete confidence all the way down to the minimum.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Michelin Commnder IIs here

I put Commander IIs on my Vol last March & have been happy with them so far. (7,000 miles)

Nothing against the Metzlers - I'd decided it was a toss-up between those 2, but the shop only had the Michelins in stock. Since my old tires were so old & cracked they couldn't have handled another 20' and needed to be replaced ASAFP ==> I got the Michelins.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Another option that you might want to look into is Pirelli MT66's. I installed a set of those in November (not too many miles on them yet) but I like them so far.
RenHoek

·
Registered
19,507 Posts
Another option that you might want to look into is Pirelli MT66's. I installed a set of those in November (not too many miles on them yet) but I like them so far.
RenHoek
I have the MT66 on my Virago. I'm not impressed. Poor tread wear and grip issues in the wet. I will not put them back on when they wear out.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
138 Posts
Has anyone tried the new Metzeler ME 888 MARATHON ULTRA Motorcycle Tire.
Bike Bandit has them for $118.95 front, $157.95 rear.
Need new tires for my bike so thought I might give them a try.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts