Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
8,360 Posts
They are fun to ride.....I test rode one when they first came out (08 or 09).

·
Super Moderator
21,403 Posts
congrats mike...enjoy with many happy and safe rides.

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
So Mike, we gonna get a riding update or what ???

·
Super Moderator
8,981 Posts
Just back from my first ride on the back of Mike's new sled!

A few years ago, at an OctoVRFest rally, VR member Sassy took me for a spin on her Spyder RT. It was interesting, but I didn't exactly like it. Admire it? Yes. Like it? Not so much.

I enjoyed the F3 a lot more. The seating position felt much more natural to me, and the peg position was perfect. And the F3 pillion seat is 'snugglier,' if you follow me. ;)

It's going to be pleasant to have another option for riding together. :D

·
Administrator
6,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
So Mike, we gonna get a riding update or what ???
So okay, it's August (already!) and I have taken the new sled to the Yankee Rally, contrived to put more than 1,000 miles on it, and added a couple of aftermarket improvements to it -- one of which, an upgraded sway bar, made a night-and-day difference to the ride.

In short: it ain't a motorcycle, not in any sense, but it is getting to be a ton of fun and it sure beats caging it everywhere. Plus Woodswoman seems to enjoy riding two-up on it with me. :wayhappy:

These Spyders take a whole bunch of getting used to. It is probably harder for experienced motorcycle riders to adapt to them than it is for non-riders to do so. And I have to say that, in my opinion, the three-wheelers can be scarily "twitchy" under certain circumstances if you ride them with only stock equipment.

I found that my ryde (that's what the "Spyder insiders" like to call them) would wallow and sway in a most unnerving fashion when taking sharper curves, or reverse-banked curves, or going over those patches of road where the right wheel track is rutted and/or falls away -- and we have a lot of those around where I live.

But it turns out that there is an aftermarket sway bar made for all of the the various models of Spyder, and it isn't too expensive (under $300), and it turns the vehicle into what Woodswoman termed "a whole new bike." With that farkle added, the thing is great!

The three wheel stability is an incredible relief at slow speeds and in parking lots. The semi-automatic shift (no clutch, thumb-operated paddle shifter) which is either available or sometimes standard on the various models, works quite well, on the whole. Having a reverse gear is a great boon, and you can imagine for yourself how and when it comes in handiest.

It turns out that there are numerous models of these things, but the basically break down into two categories: in current nomenclature these are RTs, designed and equipped for two-up touring and with rather upright, sport-tourer-like seating positions and ergonomics; and F3s (the model which I have), set up more like cruisers ergo-wise and position-wise.

My F3 has ample power and "giddyup," runs 70-80 with no problem on the slab and seems to have plenty more to spare, gets 30-40 mpg on premium gas, and seems to have a 250-300 mile tank capacity.

I still have some more getting used to it to do, but I'm here to tell you that I think I'm gonna get to love this machine. I still miss two wheels, probably always will, but this is a damn good second best.

·
Administrator
16,370 Posts
Your knees are in the breeze, and you're having fun riding again....

Who could ask for more?

41 - 49 of 49 Posts