Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks

I just picked my C50 after it's routine service. I have a little less than 20000 km's and the service technicians tell me I have a ticking sound coming from the rear cylinder which they thought was the valves so I paid them to do a valve adjustment. After they had the bike running again the noise was still there. Their only other assumption was that it was the timing chain tensioner. Apparently they need to strip down the top half of the motor to just get at it to inspect it. This is nearly a days work, so they say, and I'm reluctant to spend that much money and not know if it might or might not fix the problem. I do ride two up and haul a small trailer weighing about 300 pounds loaded including the trailer.

Anyone else have any issues with timing chains and/or tensioners or can you suggest any other possible issues that may cause a ticking noise?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had my valves adjusted by Local Stealer.
Afterwards my bike is running lean ( first time in 3 years, always ran rich) and now I am getting a ticking (ping under load).
If I give throttle to pass a car it pings, and when riding 2 up under loads.
Dealer saying it cant be the valve adjustment and mentioned the chains and adjuster, but he is not sure.
I put 20W50 oil in it the engine quited engine noise down a lot also changed to premium gas but still get the ping.
Weighing my options seems there arn't many.
Unfortunatly im short a few fingers on left hand ( table saw accident) and doing my own valves is not an option, and im at thier mercy.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
wehrd1 said:
uh oh....are seeing a trend on the newer C50's??
I see a trend in adjusting valves that never needed adjusting, so you are probably right, there will be people hearing things that they never heard before becasue they are listening now. We, here in Baton Rouge La, are in full panic mode because we are hearing things :roll:

·
Registered
20 Posts
It would seem that there is a trend starting.I have the same problem on my 2007. It has 12000km or 7200 miles, I adjusted the valves twice but it made no difference. It sounds like a loose piston when cold and will still knock on accel cold or hot. I think it is the tensioner, front cylinder, and its getting worse everyday. It's going to a new dealer in town on Tuesday to get looked at. I do have the three year warrantee that came with the bike new. Someone told me when I bought it that it would never get used. My buddy has an 2006 with no noise and more miles. I did notice on his and many other C50's that on the right side engine case at the bottom of the front cylinder under the fins it says Made in Japan.
Mine and any other 07 or 08's that I have seen do not. I wonder if they are different motors or made in China or something.
Will keep you posted on what happens at the dealer.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Took mine in to have the valves adjusted and get the 7200 mile service today. I too have noticed a lot of pinging while riding 2 up especially when accelerating at low rpms. Today on the way to the dealer (not 2up) it ran fine no pinging.

I also have a leak coming from the bolt at the top of the clutch cover casing on the left side. The bolt has a black gasket that looks like it is breaking. How can oil be leaking from the clutch cover?

·
Administrator
51,690 Posts
wehrd1 said:
uh oh....are seeing a trend on the newer C50's??
Perhaps Suzuki bought bulk chain from a different supplier at some point in time, and quite possibly this is the outcome.

I remember when OSSA began to have primary chain and cush-drive problems with the 250cc MX bikes. It was right after they started buying chain from another vendor.
Consequently, all the primary chains had to be replaced with Reynolds chains (England), and the cush-drive welded solid.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Pick up mine today from the dealer. The knock on start up he says is normal noise. He says there are many complaints about this noise and he says Suzuki is aware of the problem. He doesn't know if they are going to do anything about but did say he thought it was a timing advance issue in the control module.
I do hear mine ping under load even with premium gas, but my noise is a constant knock on start and under heavy load, just like a rod going south.
To me normal is the sound it made when it was new, not the sound it makes now.

·
Registered
197 Posts
My Volusia has a ticking sound if you let it warm up a bit and then cut it off. I believe its from the heating of the pipes and then cooling down before really getting warmed up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
strange noises

The C50 is the 11th motorcycle I've owned over the past 55 yrs. and is blessed with the strangest noises I've ever heard. There is the one that sounds like piston slap + a hard noise like a main bearing on cold startup. As the engine reaches operating temp. I start too hear what sounds like rocker arm float.
I also get a rattling sound from the gearbox in second and third gear, sounds like a can of marbles. This sound is intermittent.
The final drive whine noise is becoming less noticable with each mile ridden, but is still somewhat bothersome.
Did I mention that the front brake is startin to chatter and getting jerky.
This a 2008 C50 with about 1300 miles on it. The local stealer told me not to do the 600 mi. service as I should wait until about 2500 to 3000 mi.. I didn't mind hearing that as they charge about $300 + parts for that service.
Over the years I've ridden Hondas and Yammers for over 30,000 mi. each on only oil changes and sparkplugs - none had the noises I hear coming from this C50 and YES it does need a final drive upgrade.
Ride safe mates!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've got an 06 C50 with 40000km's and was getting the "pinging" on load after an oil change using a non suzuki filter.
After seeing a few posts on the subject I changed the filter with a suzuki genuine one and the noise is almost gone.
The word in other posts was that some of the non genuine filters restrict flow too much under load.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
LMHiggins said:
Hey folks

I have a ticking sound coming from the rear cylinder which they thought was the valves so I paid them to do a valve adjustment. After they had the bike running again the noise was still there. Their only other assumption was that it was the timing chain tensioner.
If the sound is coming from the lower part of the rear cylinder, most likely your cam chain tensioner. More of a knocking sound - not a ticking sound like the valves.
Mine broke earlier this year ('06 C50T).
Requires a tear down to replace.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
That knocking noise when the engine is cold is normal for Suzukis. Ive owned three different Suzuki vtwins and they all do it. It goes away when the engine warms up. One thing ive found is start the bike and let it idle for a minuet before you take it out and that greatly reduces the knocking sound. Ive got an 07 with 11574 miles on it. I change the oil roughly every 2000 miles. Its never had the valve adjusted and still has the original spark plugs and and air filter. It gets 57mpg as an average with a DJ drive.

·
Registered
239 Posts
My 06 C50 has this same knock. Mine sounds like it is coming from the lower front of the engine. It is noticeable on start up most of the time. Many times it does not go away and will be even worse if I have it out for an hour or more and then stop for something like gas or a run into the convenience store. The knock will usually be louder than before the stop and occasionally I get a loud bang in the motor just as it kicks over. All this seems to have started about the 5000 mile mark or so, but since I could not get a dealer to admit there was a problem I just kept driving it. I figured if it finally broke something they would have to admit there was a problem. Now I am at 14000 miles and its still doing the same thing. No loss in gas milage, maybe even a slight increase. I get about 52 mpg avg now vs 50 last year. The engine seems to have loosened up a bit, it will jump up to 60 mph in 4th when getting on the slab. I adjusted the valves at 1000 and 7000 miles but they didnt need much really just checking and tweeking 1 or 2 to get them closer to there mate.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts