Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8,279 Posts
I got pulled over one time (850 Norton Commando w/ 2-1 Kerkers) and the guy wanted me to rev it up to see if it were too loud. I did and he said he "guessed it was Okay". No ticket-this was Washington state.

·
Premium Member
28,197 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
quelicin said:
Anyone ever get a ticket for loud pipes :?: If so, what were the circumstances and what state :?:

~Ken~
:) I am from CT, and a couple of members of the Southern Cruisers that I am a member of have gotten tickets. Depends on what town you ride through. That's one of the reasons I stay with the stocks on the C50, other than they look great. I don't need the noise.

BlueCRider

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Ticket

Believe it or not I got a ticket
on my Harley on the way home from
buying it from the dealer in 1986.
I t had the 30 day tag on !!!!!!!\
I did beat in in court though.

Young cop trying to make a name?

·
Administrator
29,580 Posts
You'll love this one.

About 2AM, outside of Columbia SC. I was pulled over on my 1150GS for "too loud of pipes." It was one of the funniest things I've ever heard (my bike is whisper quiet.)

I had about 120lbs of gear on the bike and fit the profile of some high quality yankee drug peddlers, so they pulled me over (two consecutive years) for "too loud of pipes."

They were pretty upset when they said "We're going to look through the bike, OK." and I said "Oh, I think not, the exhaust system is very visible; do you have a probable cause to look through my luggage." Anyway, the bottom line is no ticket, no problems except a delay.

Police are pretty good with this, in most cases. Remember, most motr officers have aftermarket pipes on motor company police specials a bit louder than your typical Vol.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Once I was in a little place called Ducktown and it was 2:00.am. in the morning, I was sober as a judge and.... :oops: I didn't get a ticket or get arrested thanks to Popcycle.

·
Banned
13,763 Posts
Yep, been there done that. Got pulled over the day I totaled the Vol, speeding and innapropriate exhause on a motorcycle. The officer said, "what gives you the right to have pipes louder than that semi"? I knew right then he had a boner for bikes and I was just his target. I got both the speeding and pipe tickets removed in court. :lol:

·
Registered
650 Posts
as in put back on the stock pipes? what happens when the cop stands up and says 'those arent the pipes i ticketed him for' and the judge undoubtedly takes his side over yours?

·
Banned
13,763 Posts
mondain98 said:
how do you beat a "loud pipes" case in court??
Totaled the bike the samd day the ticket was issued. Told the judge, that of the officer was honestly concerned about pipe volume that he would've issued me a 5 day warning to change pipes. But as it was, he just issued a ticket with no instructions to go back to stock pipes. Case closed.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Only reason I ask is I have Hard Krome 3" Big Straights, which are the loudest pipes on the planet. I actually wear my studio earplugs when I ride, every time.

So I'm curious as to how to beat a loud pipe ticket. Not that I expect to be stopped. I live in New Jersey, noise comes with the territory.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Makes me remember.. this summer temperature was so hot that I opened the air conditioning at full sped and put a couple of wool jackets on .

But I never understood why wife start getting angry against me.

·
Administrator
29,580 Posts
The real question then is do you give yourself a "ticket" for too loud of pipes. A lot of police (although some do) do not hand out violations for this. However, the loss of goodwill with friends and neighbors can cost you more than a ticket.

If they're super loud (and my Vol is pretty loud but mostly at highway speeds) you could be un-inviting yourself to some free meals, etc. If folks say, "that guy woke me up again today, cross him off the list."

There are some major event towns (like Laconia now) that will ticket you in a new york (or in your case NJ) minute.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I've come to grips with the fact with my big 3" straights that I will always ride at the back of every pack I am in.

Plus, when leaving or entering my apt complex I always drive on idle unless absolutely necessary. An old woman actually told me she loves the sound of my bike rumbling and waking her up in the morning because she knows if I am on the bike it means I know its going to be a warm, nice day. Now that was a change.

·
Administrator
29,580 Posts
There ya go.

Whenever I kick the tires and light the fires I make sure the bike is facing away from folks houses and always clutch in as best I can when riding through residential spots. It works pretty good (and I still get cookies from the old ladies.)

Have happy holidays. WHichever those are.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts