Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several people have asked me about how I converted the throw over bags to bolt on. Since I’m too lazy to take everything off the bike to take pictures, I whipped up a quick CAD model showing how I did it.

I started with an inner panel made from 1/8” thick aluminum, cut to fit the inside shape of the saddle bag. I took my time making this part so it fit the inside of the bag tightly

This rendering shows the relationship of the inner panel to the rest of the parts, including the stock chrome saddle bag support frame.

Here the inner panel is installed inside the saddle bag (you can’t see it) and ¼-20 hardware is protruding through. Note, the bolts I used are all flat head and the holes drilled in the inner panel are countersunk so there is nothing sticking out inside the saddle bag.

This shows the spacers I cut out of a cheap polyethylene cutting board. I got lucky and found a $3.00 cutting board that was the same 3/8” thickness of the chrome bag support. Both spacers are sized and located such that they fit tight inside the chrome support frame. These serve to locate the bag on the chrome support as well as providing a surface for the clips to be tightened against. There are two counterbores on the top spacer. These are so I can bolt the spacer to the bag such that it stays attached to the bag when I take the bags off. I did this so there would be fewer loose parts when removing or installing the bags.

This shows the clips used to hold the bag to the chrome support frame. Each clip is made from 1/8” aluminum. The bottom clip is bolted through the bag and inner panel and does not need to be loosened to remove the bag. The top clip does need to be taken off to remove the bags. The location of the top spacer and clip also serve to limit the bags vertical movement.

This is a shot inside the saddle bag, showing the inner panel and hardware.

The last thing I did was cover the aluminum inner panel with adhesive backed speaker box carpet to protect anything bouncing around inside the saddle bags.

The end result is clean and you can barely see any of the spacers, clips or hardware. I’ve added a home made aluminum 7/16” wrench to my on-board tool kit should I need to remove the bags when on the road.

·
Registered
18,342 Posts
and i think the CAD rendering is MUCH clearer & understandable than the visibility of the actual photos would have been.

thanks.

Hey MODS>>>>> can we do another sticky in the MODS section??

and imagineer...you may want to put that link in your SIGNATURE line
(kinda like Phl0ater did re: his bag mod in his signature line)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Excellent job. That's what I've been looking for. Hope I can get my cuts as smooth as the CAD did.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
speedy_fisher3 said:
Excellent job. That's what I've been looking for. Hope I can get my cuts as smooth as the CAD did.
Table Saw, Chop Saw, Angle Grinder and 6" Vertical Belt Sander...I think I might have used a butter knife too.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Great write up!!!!! I did something similar several weekends back after seeing a similar post here. I used 1/8th inch aluminum diamond plate I bought on clearance at a metal wholesaler and cut it to fit the back (outside) of the bags with the pattern facing the leather. Then I drilled holes and permanently attached the formed plates to the backs of the bags by using 25 ish 1/4 inch pop rivets per bag. I riveted from the inside so all is flush inside the bag. I then drilled holes in the plate/bag combo and hard mounted them to the bike. By doing it this way I was able to avoid buying brackets and it places the bags closer to the bike which I wanted personally. As for strength your setup is likely stronger however I travel 40 ish miles each way to school at least 3 days a week with prolly 30 lbs of books in a bag no wobble no sag. I also put a 20 pack of coke in one bag and 2 gallons of water in the other yesterday and rode about 20 miles without any issues at all and when I looked at the bags on the highway and when I got home they showed no sag or signs of stress at the rivets.I do have to say all those rivets inside the bag with a manual rivet gun gets hard on the hand and took about 2 hours to complete. Not as pretty as your setup but it is functional which is what I was going for and you cant tell it isnt pretty unless you stand or squat and peer at the backside of my bags.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
I put it in Phloater's thread, under General, right below Rigid Bag Mount.

The thead won't die as long as it's stickied.

·
Premium Member
9,059 Posts
I've been asking permission to copy and paste into the "Post Your Home Made Mods" thread so that the ideas don't vanish.
"imagineer" has done a really good job on a couple things that should stay where easily accessed.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've been asking permission to copy and paste into the "Post Your Home Made Mods" thread so that the ideas don't vanish.
"imagineer" has done a really good job on a couple things that should stay where easily accessed.
Permission from who?

·
Premium Member
9,059 Posts
Permission from who?

imagineer
Senior VR Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-man403
Would you mind if I copied and pasted to the "home made mods" thread. Even your hard mounting soft bags is awesome as well. Would like to put that in there as well. This stuff is to good to lose.

Sure. I'm happy to contribute.

A "Sticky" Excellent!! :wayhappy:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts