Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is my “other” thread I referred to in my “somethings wrong with my bike” one. I'll lay out some basic info first. I really like my bike for around town or short trips. I used to consider 100 miles one way still in that short trip category but not anymore. I ride from my house to Tuscaloosa one Sunday a month for a church function up there and it is 65 miles one way. Even that trip now is not that much fun on my bike. Disclaimer.....MY BACK KILLS ME. I can drive my Mustang there and back with no back pain at all but in general, my lower back hurts me most of the time. You guys may remember I made this backrest support thing a while back to try and make the backrest more firm. That way I could lean on it more.

Well it made it firm alright. I MUST put some type of spring mechanism on there because all of the road bumps are transferred right to my spine. So I've done that. I've done the homeboy mod which is a very good mod. So the seating could be made better maybe with an Ultimate X seat with backrest ($700) and some highway pegs so I could stretch my legs out ($150 for just the pegs/arms). I can make something to bolt them to or buy a highway bar ($300). That alone is an $1150 investment on a bike with a little over 30K miles that is worth $3500-$4000. Smart? I don't think so. Oh, I've also got 2.5” lowering bones on it. Didn't notice a big difference with those except I scrub on most everything...lol. Looks cools though. I'd love to be able to keep my bike and buy me a bigger one. That will never happen though. My work situation for the last few years has been basically extinct. So I won't be buying anything right now. I'm just trying to get my thoughts together so I can be ready. The other thing I don't want to happen is that I have to stop riding because my back just hurts me too much. I have no insurance right now so back doctors are out of the question...heck I don't even go to the regular doctor. My goals are to have a bike that I can go to the beach on (3 hours one way), take a few days and go see my friend and his wife/kids out just the other side of Austin, TX in the hill country, or just ride 30 miles over to the next town. I've done that trip to the beach a couple times and it's a ways. No way in H&LL i'd even try the TX trip...much less maybe a ride to Key West! So I've been looking at these:

I have found 2004 models with 30K miles for $10 grand. That mileage on a Goldwing from what I hear is nothing. I know I'm going to take a big hit in MPG. There is a website (fuelly.com) that lets people log their gas usage. Most of the 1800cc Wings are getting 36-40 mpg. I'm conservative in my riding so I think I could get the 40. One thing that has worried me is my size. I'm 6'2 and currently weigh 276. I WILL be dropping back down to the 225-235 range that I've been my whole life. Meds and a couple issues caused the drastic and fast weight gain. Still the same legs though!! I saw a Goldwing Trike and went over and talked to the guy. It was the GL1800 series. Seat and fairing and engine unchanged for the trike. My knees seemed to hit on either the engine or fairing. I didn't have much time and didn't want to pick the guys bike apart so I just sat briefly on it. So I'm wondering if taller riders have issues with these. Other Goldwing concerns....they make no noise...right? Not sure how I'd like that. The default riding positions seems to slant your legs below the knee just a little backwards which doesn't seem would be comfy. Not sure. The handlebars turn but the fairing stays stationary...what's up with that? It's like a jet ski or scooter. Proly could get very used to that I'm sure. There are lots of positives that I won't list that are well know. I'm just up in the air about what to do in the future. I remember the poor guy that posted in here a while back asking how many miles people were getting out of their C50 engines. I think about 2 months later he came back in and the engine had blown around 50k miles.....correct me if I'm off on my miles there but it was something like that. My point is I can't see putting several thousand bux in a $4000 bike that I've gotten a lot of the good out of already.

All opinions are welcome guys. Sorry I don't get to come one here much anymore but I have no internet at home and I'm not working hardly at all right now so.....I have enjoyed doing some how to threads on my custom mods and reading all of yours. Even if I get a different bike I plan to stay on here if y'all will have me. One last thing. I have a Mustang that I bought new in 1988.

It's been a loud obnoxious street racer, a somewhat loud road racer, and most anything in between. “Ride Quality” and sound also is subject to the user's tolerance. I know many of you could ride your C50 from NY to Cali...I can't. I'm just too achy. I can't even watch Wild Hogs or I want to get out on the open road and.....well anyway. Makes me really want to ride some longer trips and I just can't on this bike. If God's plan for me is to just have this little bike that is still very cool and fun then I'm fine with that. I know it won't last forever but who knows what's really next for any of us. I look forward to hearing from you guys. I won't be at a computer but will be on my phone app. So I can't post pics or write long post (thank God huh). But I can comment and read your thoughts and I do appreciate them.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Wayne, I customised a bike years ago and ended up with a very upright riding position similar to the C50, I found that every bump went straight up my spine. I eventually changed the seating position so I was leaning a bit further forward, this effectively curved my back and allowed it to absorb the bumps.

On the C50 I went with dragbars to achieve the same result with similar results.

I would get rid of the lowering bones and soften the preload setting as well.

·
Super Moderator
8,890 Posts
Wayne, I am entirely sympathetic.

When I first started riding, I rode Suzuki Burgman maxi-scooters. First the 400, then I upgunned to the awesome 650. I loved nearly everything about those machines ... but both of them caused me constant, grinding back pain. I used to wear two back braces just to commute 30 miles to work. Since I have pretty poor posture to begin with, I just assumed that the pain was my lot in life.

Then one day, I took my husband's C50 out for a ride. :shock: Eureka!!

Because there was nothing much that can be done with either the seats or handlebars of maxi-scooters, I switched to cruisers and have been riding one ever since. My C50 was the only bike I've ever had that didn't require me to make a handlebar change of some sort. It's a fine line between having the reach I want to control the bike and not sitting up so straight that my spine acts full-time as a shock-absorber. I've learned that I must have *some* forward pitch, or I suffer.

Though I can't speak to it from personal experience, a *lot* of my VR brothers & sisters in the "Yankee chapter" have switched to bikes with a standard riding position like the one the Goldwing gives. They swear it lets them ride longer and with less pain.

I hope you can find the answer that's right for you.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Rent a Goldwing, go for a 300 mile ride, report back.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NIce Mustang BTW, I have a 91LX that I bought new as well. Just got my C50T today. I have back issues too, and it will be interesting to see how I fair on the longer rides as well.
Cool on the mustang!! I hope you have good luck with your back and this bike. I only have the stock seat because I can't afford to switch but if you can afford to put a good seat on it do it. At least do the homeboy mod to get that plastic from sticking you in the butt. I sat on an Ultimate X seat the other day and that's what I would love to have.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wayne, I am entirely sympathetic.

When I first started riding, I rode Suzuki Burgman maxi-scooters. First the 400, then I upgunned to the awesome 650. I loved nearly everything about those machines ... but both of them caused me constant, grinding back pain. I used to wear two back braces just to commute 30 miles to work. Since I have pretty poor posture to begin with, I just assumed that the pain was my lot in life.

Then one day, I took my husband's C50 out for a ride. :shock: Eureka!!

Because there was nothing much that can be done with either the seats or handlebars of maxi-scooters, I switched to cruisers and have been riding one ever since. My C50 was the only bike I've ever had that didn't require me to make a handlebar change of some sort. It's a fine line between having the reach I want to control the bike and not sitting up so straight that my spine acts full-time as a shock-absorber. I've learned that I must have *some* forward pitch, or I suffer.

Though I can't speak to it from personal experience, a *lot* of my VR brothers & sisters in the "Yankee chapter" have switched to bikes with a standard riding position like the one the Goldwing gives. They swear it lets them ride longer and with less pain.

I hope you can find the answer that's right for you.

Thanks for the info. I rode my friends Burgman 650 and I have to say it will flat leave my C50 in the dust. My complaint on it was it was so light I felt like I was going to fly off the freeway when around big rigs. I have pull backs on my bars and that helped upper back pain a ton. I'm assuming you still have the stock seat? They leave a lot to be desired.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Easy! Use a quick connect on your seat in the Mustang and on the bike. Then, transfer the seat from the Mustang to your bike when you want to ride with the wind in your face and move the seat back to the car when you are done. Problem solved!

OR:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rent a Goldwing, go for a 300 mile ride, report back.
I would absolutely love to do that and that is a great idea. Could you tell me where I could. Tell ya how sad this place is here. The Honda DEALER wont even stock a single Goldwing because he says they are too expensive. And he is the only game in town. So any idea what type places rent them and if any are close to Cuba, Alabama?

·
Registered
19,528 Posts
I understand the position you are in, trying to justify your purchases. But let's not kid ourselves. Motorcycles are expensive toys. Nothing else. Sure, they get good fuel economy, but so does a Prius. Motorcycles are really loud, uncomfortable and expensive to operate.... Anybody who thinks they're buying a motorcycle to save money is fooling themselves...

Right now, you still enjoy the freedom it gives you but it is not without its consequences. You can make adjustments that will aid in your comfort, but those adjustments would be expensive. So that leaves you in the quandary you find yourself in. How do you justify the expense?

You can't.

If it is truly a question of economy as well as comfort, sell the bike and get a nice used Civic. It has zero character, but it will get you where you want to go, in comfort and at a lower overall operating cost than a motorcycle.

When you get through this rough patch in you life and your finances have stabilized, then think about the Goldwing or whatever bike your heart desires.

·
Registered
80 Posts
There's seems to be a fairly large Goldwing trike seller in Hazel Green, Alabama on Ebay, under the name Tony's Trike. Not sure if that is close to you. Perhaps he will let you take one for a spin. Here is one of his Ebay links:

Honda Gold Wing | eBay

ON EDIT: I see you already sat on a Goldwing trike and it didn't fit you. Perhaps he has a non-converted Goldwing for you to try.

I have owned several Goldwings before, and they are very comfortable and smooth on the open road. Cannot speak to the mpg, since most people don't buy them for that. That said, they are heavy so, unlike the C50T, not as agile for quick 10-20 mile jaunts on back roads. I've never drove a trike before, so I don't know if they are as fun to drive as a 2-wheeler, but they certainly would eliminate the weight/balance issue with legs. I've seen some fairly inexpensive used trikes on Ebay that seem to be in pretty good shape.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
To get back to your bike; looking at the picture it looks like your back rest is quit high and would give you back support high on your spine transferring vibration and jolts to your lower back. Where exactly is the pain? My back rest is less than an inch above the seat height. When I lay back to relax the back rest hits me right in the small of the back where I rally need it.
Speaking of seats which seat are you using? The stock seat was Japan's revenge for WWII. It not only kicked your butt but it could lead to back aches.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I agree that the back rest looks too high. I have a bad back and neck/shoulder and the grasshopper backrest with an oem gel seat along with the jim's spacers works wonders for me.

If I see a bump coming up I lean forward and I try not to sit upright while driving over it.

Oddly enough when I was out searching for a new bicycle I wanted to get a hybrid road bike because of the more upright handlebars . I told the sales lady at the bike shop of my back and shoulder issues and she suggested I try a road bike with goose necks bars. She measured me up to the right sized frame adjusted the seat and bar height and Lo and behold she was actually bang on. I can ride that bike for ever without any issues. (as uncomfortable as the riding position and skinny the seat looks.)

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Other Goldwing concerns....they make no noise...right? Not sure how I'd like that. The default riding positions seems to slant your legs below the knee just a little backwards which doesn't seem would be comfy. Not sure. The handlebars turn but the fairing stays stationary...what's up with that?
They make very little noise, makes long distance riding much more enjoyable.

It has a frame mounted fairing, it is stationary and does not move with the handlebars. This takes the fairing weight off of the handlebars which makes the steering much easier. You also don't have to fight wind blasts to the fairing with the bars.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I would absolutely love to do that and that is a great idea. Could you tell me where I could. Tell ya how sad this place is here. The Honda DEALER wont even stock a single Goldwing because he says they are too expensive. And he is the only game in town. So any idea what type places rent them and if any are close to Cuba, Alabama?

Try this. Tony's trikes. Tony's Trikes Hazel Green Al. He should have a few 2 wheelers hanging around. If your back is the issue, go with an airide trike.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To get back to your bike; looking at the picture it looks like your back rest is quit high and would give you back support high on your spine transferring vibration and jolts to your lower back. Where exactly is the pain? My back rest is less than an inch above the seat height. When I lay back to relax the back rest hits me right in the small of the back where I rally need it.
Speaking of seats which seat are you using? The stock seat was Japan's revenge for WWII. It not only kicked your butt but it could lead to back aches.
Still have the stock seat with homeboy mod. Also my backrest was purchased here on VR. Been a while but I believe it's a Lonnies backrest. I felt of it riding today. The bottom of the backrest hits me right on the edge of my jeans. So its in the lower back the whole time. It's just a defective spine! Lol.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hi,

I don't know what is the problem with your back, but I'll go out on a limb.

You are barking up the wrong tree---

Get some stretching and strengthening exercises and do them, that may help a lot with your back. Make it strong enough to handle the ride.

Also get an Ultimate Seat, a bit pricey but a lot less than a gold wing.

I used to have a lot of back pain and sciatica and both helped. I now have no back pain.

Good luck Richard Boroff

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Try a number of solutions and from the advice given so far change the upright support back rest to some thing that leans you forward a bit. Try taking a joint supplement like Costco "Joint Juice". Try a chiropractor. Try yoga. Try back exercises. Loose some weight carrying extra pounds is often like wearing a hiking pack all day long tiring on the back. Talk to your Doctor. Quit riding your health is more important than riding a MC. Get a fun convertible. Back pain is often progressive and maybe you should quit riding while you can still enjoy the day.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Nice comfortable looking ride. But before you drop a lot of coin do what Cavie said and rent one; give it a Nice long ride to make sure your body (back) agrees with your head and really finds it comfortable.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts