Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys. So just yesterday for no reason at all I started thinking about switching the grips out on my 2006 C50. Don't get me wrong, the stock grips function just fine. It's just that they're so cheap and bland looking.

Some guys I ride with have Kuryakyn grips. Are they the ones to get? Any other brands any good? Also, I noticed on Ebay there are a ton of non branded grips that look identical to the Kuryakyns but much cheaper. Anyone try any of these? The look I like is the Kuryakyn 6235 Premium ISO Grips. I would also be adding some spikes to the side because I'm kind of a grungy type of guy:smoking: I can get the knock-off ISO grips with spikes already on them for about $20.00. The Kuryakyn's are a little over $60 plus another $30 for spikes. Any opinions on any grips are appreciated....

·
Administrator
52,327 Posts
Welcome aboard!
One usually "gets what one pays for", ie, You can't go wrong buying top quality Kuryakyn accessories.

·
Super Moderator
25,212 Posts
I've got Kuryakyn grips and live them. They look great, feel great, and believe it or not, you can even get accessories for your accessories. :biglaugh: you can get different end caps, colored rings, and throttle boss to go with them. As for the cheap grips, like Psyc0 said, you tend to get what you pay for, but I have no experience with them.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I bought a set of the cheap knockoffs from e-bay seller i5motorcycle about 3 years ago. They are still on the shelf if my garage. I could NOT get the right side grip over the throttle sleeve without tearing it. They are junk. I couldn't return them because I had tried to install them.
I ended up buying another used set of kuryakyn grips on e-bay, the real ones. Way happy.
Find yourself a used set of the real ones.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Well if you've tried them and you're sure that's what you want, go for the good stuff, pointless in spending money on cheap stuff, unless you like to change it up a lot. But if you have absolutely no clue, maybe it's best to get the cheap version without the end caps, just to see if you actually like them. I wanted the Iso grips for the longest time, they were on my C50 when I bought it, I was so happy. But after a little while I got tired of how much fatter the little rubbers made the grips. I ended up buying new $30 grips (the ones with the little thin rubber stripes that run across the grips) and absolutely love them.

·
Registered
20,184 Posts
I have the ISO's and love them. Also consider if you have smaller hands, you may try to find some smaller like noted before.

·
Registered
8,828 Posts
I have the Kuryakins and added the throttle boss . They are a good well made grip . I can`t comment on the aftermarket grips. I don`t know if you can use the spikes in combination with a throttle boss or not. For me the throttle boss is very useful which I`m glad I bought.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I would never have spent money on the because I wear gloves. They came on my trike. It has Kuryakin everything. I love them and still wear gloves. Arther has taken up residence. Don't by imitations.

·
Registered
421 Posts
ISOs and throttle boss waiting to get installed in warmer weather. You can find deals on eBay for the Kury ones you just have to be patient. Email Kuryakyn Tech Support to verify the proper model # on your bike, they get back with you within 24 hours usually.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the ISO's with the throttle boss as well...added them last summer. Very comfortable and well worth the $$$ Pay the price and get the Kury's you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Had them on my Vol and put them on the Wing. Comfortable and a good look. Accept no substitutes...

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have the ISO knockoffs from Amazon for $30 they look and feel and function exactly like the kuryakan and I highly recommend them, must get the ones with the throttle boss. It took me aprox 5 minutes to install them and had no problems at all. This is the second pair I bought, first was on my S40.

p.s. once you get these on you will not think the stocks are "fine" anymore :)

oops it was ebay this time but same grips... http://www.ebay.com/itm/360772707945?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I have to admit I was a little skeptical about the rave reviews of the Kury grips. After intalling them last year I wouldn't want to got back to stock. I transferred my Kury grips from the Vol to the Vulcan- still loving them!

·
Super Moderator
25,212 Posts
I bought a set of the cheap knockoffs from e-bay seller i5motorcycle about 3 years ago. They are still on the shelf if my garage. I could NOT get the right side grip over the throttle sleeve without tearing it. They are junk. I couldn't return them because I had tried to install them.
I ended up buying another used set of kuryakyn grips on e-bay, the real ones. Way happy.
Find yourself a used set of the real ones.
Don't blame that on the grips necessarily. I had to modify my throttle sleeve to get my Kuryakyn grip on the right side. Apparently they have one that comes with a sleeve, but i didn't find that out until after i got mine.

I have the Kuryakins and added the throttle boss . They are a good well made grip . I can`t comment on the aftermarket grips. I don`t know if you can use the spikes in combination with a throttle boss or not. For me the throttle boss is very useful which I`m glad I bought.
You can use the spikes with the Kuryakyn throttle boss on the Kuryakyn grips. The spikes are an end cap, and the boss is designed to go between the grip and end cap. You can also throw colored rings in the mix to make it look purty! :biglaugh:

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 32 Posts