Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, awhile back I went the "Blue Collar" bolt-on route. Turned out pretty good. But then I got it in my head to go a tad further.

For the last several months I've been trying to turn my "hi-tech" '08 C50 into a more pure form of the genre. Being in a Combat Veteran 501c, I decided to use my bike to show and raise awareness of Veterans issues. I started by dedicating the build to a young Marine Lance Corporal who gave his life in Ramadi, Iraq, back in September 2005. I had the honor of standing a Flag Line while attending his funeral the following month. I had the added honor of meeting his parents and brother and sister that day too. The day never faded, and is notable in my own life because it was followed by several more services, and at one, a group of Bikers showed up... the Patriot Guard. I made up my mind then to get my "finger in the fight" So, I went shopping for a bike I could swing on my salesman's iffy commission. I landed on an '05 Boulevard C50. Great choice! After logging about 50k miles on that one, I went out and bought this '08 new in August of that year.

Started tearing it down in my barn, not really knowing what I was getting into. By the time I finally wrestled the wiring harness out of it, I came to the conclusion that if I wanted to actually run again I was going to need to get a little help. After beating my head against the wall with about a half-dozen bike builders - who wouldn't touch a Suzuki with someone else's d#@k.. I finally found a great guy about 85 miles from my little burg. So, I have a talented fabricator and I'm now the designated "Idea Fairy" (or designer, as Dave Kindig is want to tell us!).

Although dedicated to the young Marine, we're putting it together in the theme of a WW2, circa early 1941 F4F Grumman Wildcat Navy fighter to reflect my own Naval Aviation service, with subtle points in homage to him.

Keeping the Blue Collar seat pan, but found a guy in Georgia to hand-tool a leather cover using a WW2 Navy recruiting poster image.

We're retaining the Blue Collar rear fender, but tossed the struts they provided and turned new ones out of round stock.

Lost the front brake, and machined the front wheel spool.

Shaved the front fork tubes, took off the front fender mounting tabs and turned them to match/mirror the rear fender struts.

Filled, shaved and smoothed the lower triple-T and repositioned the headlight mount. Got rid of the stock headlight and replaced it with a smaller one with "halo" lights.

Replaced the stock plastic coolant overflow tank with a cut-down Morosco aluminum job.

Frame's been filled and all extraneous tabs shaved, and the whole thing smoothed.

Shed the P.A.I.R. Valve plastic cover for a "Chocolate Ammo" candy tin that replicates a .50Cal WW2 ammo can.

Replaced the stock intake with a Tornado type.

Manufactured a new battery box and moved all the electronic crap into it.

Went back to Blue Collar and bought a set of their ribbed side covers and tossed the stock "chipmunk" cheeks.

Installing 12" Flanders "Big Horn" handlebars. Grips TBD!

Modified brake and shifter arms and used drilled .50Cal brass pegs.

Found a really cool old taillight with fins!! Mounting it on top of the rear fender.

And about a hundred other changes. So we're getting it together. Expect tins and frame and other stuff out to the painter and powder coater next week.

Paint's going to be "Hot Rod Flatz" steel blue with old style aircraft insignia and squadron markings on the tank. The rear fender will also be steel blue, but with red and white stripes on the last 8 inches, to mimic the old rudder "flashes" used then.

I'll send more pics later, but here's a few.

. Fuel tank Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

·
Registered
132 Posts
So, awhile back I went the "Blue Collar" bolt-on route. Turned out pretty good. But then I got it in my head to go a tad further.

For the last several months I've been trying to turn my "hi-tech" '08 C50 into a more pure form of the genre. Being in a Combat Veteran 501c, I decided to use my bike to show and raise awareness of Veterans issues. I started by dedicating the build to a young Marine Lance Corporal who gave his life in Ramadi, Iraq, back in September 2005. I had the honor of standing a Flag Line while attending his funeral the following month. I had the added honor of meeting his parents and brother and sister that day too. The day never faded, and is notable in my own life because it was followed by several more services, and at one, a group of Bikers showed up... the Patriot Guard. I made up my mind then to get my "finger in the fight" So, I went shopping for a bike I could swing on my salesman's iffy commission. I landed on an '05 Boulevard C50. Great choice! After logging about 50k miles on that one, I went out and bought this '08 new in August of that year.

Started tearing it down in my barn, not really knowing what I was getting into. By the time I finally wrestled the wiring harness out of it, I came to the conclusion that if I wanted to actually run again I was going to need to get a little help. After beating my head against the wall with about a half-dozen bike builders - who wouldn't touch a Suzuki with someone else's d#@k.. I finally found a great guy about 85 miles from my little burg. So, I have a talented fabricator and I'm now the designated "Idea Fairy" (or designer, as Dave Kindig is want to tell us!).

Although dedicated to the young Marine, we're putting it together in the theme of a WW2, circa early 1941 F4F Grumman Wildcat Navy fighter to reflect my own Naval Aviation service, with subtle points in homage to him.

Keeping the Blue Collar seat pan, but found a guy in Georgia to hand-tool a leather cover using a WW2 Navy recruiting poster image.

We're retaining the Blue Collar rear fender, but tossed the struts they provided and turned new ones out of round stock.

Shaved the front fork tubes, took off the front fender mounting tabs and turned them to match/mirror the rear fender struts.

Filled, shaved and smoothed the lower triple-T and repositioned the headlight mount. Got rid of the stock headlight and replaced it with a smaller one with "halo" lights.

Replaced the stock plastic coolant overflow tank with a cut-down Morosco aluminum job.

Frame's been filled and all extraneous tabs shaved, and the whole thing smoothed.

Shed the P.A.I.R. Valve plastic cover for a "Chocolate Ammo" candy tin that replicates a .50Cal WW2 ammo can.

Went back to Blue Collar and bought a set of their ribbed side covers and tossed the stock "chipmunk" cheeks.

Found a really cool old taillight with fins!! Mounting it on top of the rear fender.

And about a hundred other changes. So we're getting it together. Expect tins and frame and other stuff out to the painter and powder coater next week.

Paint's going to be "Hot Rod Flatz" steel blue with old style aircraft insignia and squadron markings on the tank. The rear fender will also be steel blue, but with red and white stripes on the last 8 inches, to mimic the old rudder "flashes" used then.

. View attachment 147158 View attachment 147159 View attachment 147160
I'd rather be riding mine. LOL

·
Super Moderator
4,690 Posts
Welcome to the VRF and the family... I salute you my man for dedicating your build to our fine young Marine..Thank you... If you need anything else to add or fab on, my background back in the day is ordnance, so I may have a few military ordnance, Ammo cans, MK2 inert grenade, etc...I do know I have a old WW2 Alice pak/ rucksack somewhere in the attic... PM me.. Best, D.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome to the VRF and the family... I salute you my man for dedicating your build to our fine young Marine. Thank you... If you need anything else to add or fab on, my background back in the day is ordnance, so I may have a few military ordnance, Ammo cans, MK2 inert grenade, etc...I do know I have a old WW2 Alice pak/ rucksack somewhere in the attic... PM me.. Best, D.

No, thank you for commenting. He's been in my head and heart since the day I was at his services.

Still have a way to go until this build is done. but "my" fabricator ( Jordan Heathcock, owner of Slop Shop Southern Customs, Brookhaven, MS ) has now gotten the frame smoothed and filled, finished all his own special touches here and there, and sent the frame, hubs, wheels; the front forks, rear fender struts, engine side and valve covers, floorboards, controls and other smaller pieces to the powder coater. Also having the exhaust ceramic coated. The tank and frame side covers, and rear fender are off to the painter. After that it's back on the lift for assembly and tuning... and everything else needed to make it show and road ready.

Next time you watch one of those custom builders on the tube, let me tell you they're earning their cash. I couldn't be happier working with Jordan!

·
Premium Member
773 Posts

. View attachment 147158 View attachment 147159 View attachment 147160
Hey if your still around. Did you finish the build? And would you have anymore pics you would like to share. I'd really like to see them. I'm sure there are others that would also. :D

Reactions: Jerry K
1 - 11 of 11 Posts