Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had to be towed home last night :bigoops:

Near the end of a nice 160 mile loop, about 30 miles from home it started sputtering and stalled. I rolled into a gas station, thinking I'd run out of gas, filled up, but it wouldn't turn over. Even the fuel pump didn't make noise.

Got it home, charged it for an hour and it started fine. Tonight, I'll check the output voltage when running

I'm guessing either the RR or stator failed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,059 Posts
That looks familiar!

Only I was 3 hours from anyone\anywhere that could help me. The tow bill cost was almost the same as the repair! For some reason it was all fun!

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Two years ago heading to work my bike just stopped running for me on the highway. I thought it was a charging problem too. After a tow it ended up being the battery that failed. Smart to charge the battery and see if it will keep the charge and the output when running. The bike will stop running if the battery is bad even though you got it started. The stator does not put out enough power to keep the bike running on its own.

Remember around here look for the horse before you think you spotted a zebra. It will usually be cheeper too.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Had to be towed home last night :bigoops:

Near the end of a nice 160 mile loop, about 30 miles from home it started sputtering and stalled. I rolled into a gas station, thinking I'd run out of gas, filled up, but it wouldn't turn over. Even the fuel pump didn't make noise.

Got it home, charged it for an hour and it started fine. Tonight, I'll check the output voltage when running

I'm guessing either the RR or stator failed.

Hope you succesfully "search-and-destroy" that e-Gremlin!

Heck! That image brings to mind the day Suzy had to ride a flatbed due to final gear failure... not pleasant to remember...

·
Super Moderator
20,498 Posts
out of curiousity...what year and how many miles on it...when my stator went on my 05 c90,,,it had around 18k on the dial...history of the stator problems showed the problem usually occured within the 15-30k range...my ride just died in the middle of an afternnoon cruise and to make matters worse I had just picked up the ride from the service dept having 2 new tires put on and an overall check...remember talking to the service guy who I had been using for many years and asking him about the history of these stator problems and should I just go ahead now and do the switch. He told me his dealings with the c90 showed while there was some history of problems, many of his customers never had any issues so told me to hold off...3 hours later...when he saw it being towed in...sheepishly said...guess I put the kiss of death on it...sorry. Fixed it and never had any more stator issues...Had bike till 64k.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Super Moderator
20,498 Posts
sounds like the stator...some will tell you to go with an aftermarket type...I replaced mine with another suuki stator just in case I had future problems and were to be told I should have used a suzuki replacement...like i said earlier...I believe they found the flaw and corrected it. Good luck...hope thats all it was. My repair I believe was under $300...believe the labor was less than an hour...the part around 2 and change.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I have towing for my motorhome but I've only used it to change tires on my motorhome on the road. It also covers all my vehicles and I figure the most likely to ever need a tow will be one of my motorcycles. But I am hoping never to need to use it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts