Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a spot about 4 inches long on my exhaust that has had rain gear melted to it for quite some time. So, after some digging on here and finding this page:

Pipe Cleaners

...I figured I'd give the #0000 steel wool/WD-40 combo a try. My thinking is its the least damaging to the surrounding painted areas in the case some gets off the pipe.

This works great! You do have to put some muscle into it, but I had that section cleaned off in about 10 minutes. This stuff had been burned into the pipe for at least two years and probably 7-8000 miles, and you can't even tell it was ever there. It feels like you are sanding your pipes down while you are doing it, but once it's gone, it's like butter.

If you're wondering, #0000 steel wool is available at Lowes for $3.97 and comes with enough to last a lifetime.

·
Registered
19,521 Posts
You could have cleaned it for free. Ride the bike, get the pipes good and hot, then buff off the melted plastic with a thick cotton towel (don't use a poly blend or it will melt too!)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Good info. I've had good luck removing boot marks in the past using Fine Steel Wool and Chrome Cleaner a good combo. Interesting to see you cleaned your pipes with just the fine steel wool. oops I missed the "All you do is get some warm water/dishwashing detergent solution or WD-40, soak it up in the steel wool, and have at 'er"

I've also used WD40 to remove stains on plumbing you just let it sit over night. The Web site for WD40 has lots of other interesting tips.

http://wd40.com/uses-tips/

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
It makes great deodorant too, if you run out of speed stick. And reduces friction so much you do everything twice as fast. :wink:
...but you can never swing your arms in sync with your legs again. They move at their own pace....:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
I carry a wad of 0000 steel wool soaked in WD40 in a zip-lock bag in the tool pouch on my bike.............does work well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts