Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

41 - 60 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I've got a good wifi signal here in MT, so my pics are syncing. Will try posting. Here are a few from Wounded Knee. A simple, hand-painted sign, maintained by members of the reservation. Such a shame that this is all there is as a memorial to such an important event in American history.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
That brings us to today. Traveled north into North Dakota and on to Montana. I thought it would be a boring travel day, but I was blown away by the vast expanses of open land. At times, the only man made things you would see in any direction for miles and miles were the road and the fences. Mind boggling.

Beartooth and northern Yelowstone tomorrow. No bison seen in the Black Hills. Hope to see some tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
20,484 Posts
That brings us to today. Traveled north into North Dakota and on to Montana. I thought it would be a boring travel day, but I was blown away by the vast expanses of open land. At times, the only man made things you would see in any direction for miles and miles were the road and the fences. Mind boggling.

Beartooth and northern Yelowstone tomorrow. No bison seen in the Black Hills. Hope to see some tomorrow.
looks like not the place to gamble on passing on a chance to top off...I'm sure your riding buddy guides the bike towards the pumps whenever the opportunity presents itself just to make sure you're paying attention to that minor detail. Nice pics ken. Ride safe.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts

Now you know why the call Montana Big Sky :biglaugh:
That picture in creditable!.

Peace safe journey. Do not meet up with a bison

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I'm in Utah tonight, pretty much in the middle of nowhere, but with good wifi. Monday's ride was spectacular. Beartooth was everything I thought it would be. It was not the most challenging, however. I've ridden mountain passes in CA with much sharper and steeper turns. The hairpins in the passes out here seem to be more gradual, but the scenery was top notch.

Here's one from Beartooth.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Here's a pic of the northern entrance to the park. The view was incredible. I entered the park on Tuesday around 6:30 to beat the crowds and take my time through the park.

About an hour into my ride, I came across 40-50 bison that were very close to the road. Turning around meant taking a 3-hr detour, and missing a section of the park that I wanted to see. So I decided to continue slowly through. A calf was playing near the road, and I knew that was not a good sign.

About half way through, one bison springs to his feet, lowers his head, and starts to charge me from maybe 50-60 ft away. I punched it, and the bison continued to run along side me about 20 ft away, and pulled up after about a 30-yd chase.

Once I reached a safe area, I had to pull over and calm down. I was shaking like crazy...never been that scared before in my life. Definitely an experience I'll never forget!

Attachments

41 - 60 of 101 Posts