Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure how HD owners know from a distance I'm NOT riding a Harley, I would say the majority of the guys that don't hold up the infamous wave to fellow bikers, are HD guys. I try tent to hold up my hand as part of the tradition, but some how I feel like I get punched in the gut when I get blown off. Its much easier to notice a HD coming at you because you can hear them, I know some guys just don't get into the wave thing anyway.
I wonder how this whole wave thing started anyway? LOL

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
I wave or nod to everyone. Some people don't wave or nod - some time Harley riders, some time sport bike riders. I think it's either that their hand is busy (changing gear) or a reflection of their character. Either way, it's their problem not mine.

Reactions: Lois Mack and 10-64

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I wave at all bikes and was never ignored by HD riders as a whole when I rode my C50. Some times I don't wave for various reasons - and if someone doesn't wave back it's no big deal.

Chill - enjoy the ride and quit worrying about what you assume others think about you or your ride.

If you don't get the wave thing it can't be explained - I'd suggest reading Sonny Barger's book 'Let's Ride'. It's a quick read. My dad rode in a club in the 50's and poured the idea of the connection we have as riders into me from the time I was little. When I see another rider I don't see what they ride - I see the connection we have as riders.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
9,561 Posts
I wave to everybody.

Started back when I was learning to ride, on a teeny (80cc) scooter. The first time a motorcyclist waved to me on the road, I felt like a million bucks. Now I *always* wave, and I don't care whether the gesture is returned or not.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I wave at all bikes and was never ignored by HD riders as a whole when I rode my C50. Some times I don't wave for various reasons - and if someone doesn't wave back it's no big deal.

I probably get a dozen waves a day from HD riders, or from very convincing clones. Only time I can recall ever getting snubbed by a HD rider was a side-by-side at a stoplight. I waved, he sneered and started revving the throttle. When the light turned green...he popped the clutch and engine died - I eased through the intersection pretending not to notice. Didn't want to make the guy feel bad.

Reactions: Woodswoman

·
Registered
410 Posts
I wave to everybody. Don't matter to me if they wave back or not. I've had guys look straight at me and not wave back, I just kinda laugh. Their problem not mine. HD riders almost always wave around here. It's mostly sport bike riders that don't wave back, I guess they just don't participate. Oh well.

·
Super Moderator
65,642 Posts
Considering most of the bikes you see on the road are Harley simply means there are more Harley riders that wave than other brand owners. If I have to reword that so it's understood just admit it now anyway and save us the aggravation.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I wave to anything that has 3 wheels or less yes unicycles are included never cared if anyone waves back fig they didn't see me or was busy or they where but-heads but in general 99% of all bikers around here wave and smile as to say its dang good to be out of the cage :wayhappy:

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I'm not sure how HD owners know from a distance I'm NOT riding a Harley, I would say the majority of the guys that don't hold up the infamous wave to fellow bikers, are HD guys. I try tent to hold up my hand as part of the tradition, but some how I feel like I get punched in the gut when I get blown off. Its much easier to notice a HD coming at you because you can hear them, I know some guys just don't get into the wave thing anyway.
I wonder how this whole wave thing started anyway? LOL
Sport bikers are the ones who wave the least here. Touring (Harley and Metrics) generally wave. Bad Ass on Harley or metric often do not wave, but that is understandable.

Sorry you live in a place where you ignored by other bikers riding Harley's. Just more of them may be one reason. Also, many are limited riders, meaning that owning the bike is enough, riding it somewhere is not a regular experience.

The wave, like the Jeep wave, the Bugeye Sprite wave was originally when there were fewer of anything. A Willy's would wave to a CJ, a Sprite to Triumph or even an Alpine, any motorcycle to any other motorcycle, regardless of brand. Then the baby boomers grew up and proliferated the highways, but many brought the old time "Hey I am glad to see you share my passion" wave with them. Once waved to, other felt that they could also say, "Hey, great to see you riding".

With so many bikes on the roads on sunny weekends, I who enjoy waving will get tired of it. After 987 waves, a smile, nod, or ignore. Not that I am not glad to see them riding, just I don't think they need my acknowledgement any longer as they have also probably waved to at least 987 other motorcycles before we passed.

Anyway, that is my story and if you push it, I'll change it.

·
Administrator
29,813 Posts
Oh No, not a wave thread. I have started throwing oil at people instead of waving, but it has to be the right kind of oil... I use synthetic and recommend you do to. On my Harley, the oil throwing is automatic. I keep the oil in my helmet because I don't wear it.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Oh No, not a wave thread. I have started throwing oil at people instead of waving, but it has to be the right kind of oil... I use synthetic and recommend you do to. On my Harley, the oil throwing is automatic. I keep the oil in my helmet because I don't wear it.
I wish I had thought of this, great way to recycle used oil.

·
Super Moderator
9,561 Posts
:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.