Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did the rejet several weeks ago at Diz's wrench party and at the time we forgot to do the mixture screw thing.

Picked up Gmurdocks homemade mixture screw tool (coat hanger with the end flattened and a bend in it for turning--works GREAT!) and decided to give it a try.

Now, in reading all the stuff about the screw, they say run it all the way in and back it out 2 to 2.5 turns to start.

Well, being the dullard that I am, I insert the tool and turn to the right to go all the way in, and it only goes 2 turns. So I was sitting at 2 turns since I brought the bike home a year ago.

Next thing is: all this time I have had the "gas" smell. At stoplights and such. On my last ride, Ecks pulls up behind me and says I think you're running too rich. Well I agree!

So I backed the screw out 1 and 3/4 turns and headed for a ride.

I now seem to have more power, in the form of acceleration.

I post this to see if anyone agrees. I was curious if anyone out there has less than 2 turns on their screw.

Anyone vote to try 1.5 turns???

I'm curious!

·
Registered
876 Posts
Jimmy, I forgot...
What is your carb config?

I think you have the UNI, right?
What about the needle? stock plust an extra shim?
and what size pilot and jet did we use?

·
Banned
13,763 Posts
Yep, if it took 2 turns to the right to get it to seat, then you were at 2 turns! I just did Linda's and hers was at 1 turn, go figure, you'd think they'd be a little more consistant. As far as the 1 1/2, the 2 to 2 1/2 is a starting point and you tweak from there. A lot of factors go into play, temperature, sea level, as PapaPig mentioned carb settings..pipes..air intake. If you've noticed that it's running better and the smell is gone, I'd say you got it dialed in just right for that trip up to Green Bay next June! :D

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
San, Mine is only about 1 1/2 at 2 I smelled gas real bad. Warm the bike up, then turn the idle up to where it is running a little fast. Turn the fuel mixture screw all the way in and then back it out till a little at a time till the idle increses the most then turn it back in about 1/8 of a turn.

Ride Safe,
Rex

·
Registered
9,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, Diz, we went with 37.5 and whatever, I forgit too!!

Wade, I'm gonna do my best to meet as many Northerners as I can, still planning to be there so far.

Rex, I'll try that when I get another chance, and let you know.

Thanx for the replies, guys. I thought it was unusual to just be 2 turns out from the factory, but I guess there is no rhyme or reason to their madness!!

Thanx a second time!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts