Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

41 - 60 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Mort said:
They don't wave in England because if you use your clutch hand to wave the passing biker would not even see the wave....the wave would be on the wrong side of the bike for the passing rider. :lol:
Same issue in Australia.

The wave has basically been replaced with the nod.

A good nod can be noticed a long way off !!!

·
Registered
535 Posts
If I cant wave , Then it's a nod to acknowledge I see them waving at me. I see more people now giving a low wave rather than the "high five" wave. Doesnt really make a difference , just a way to say 'hey'

·
Registered
802 Posts
David2001VL said:
If I cant wave , Then it's a nod to acknowledge I see them waving at me. I see more people now giving a low wave rather than the "high five" wave. Doesnt really make a difference , just a way to say 'hey'
I heard that the low wave so many Harley riders use isn't even a wave at all, they're just trying to catch parts that vibrated lose.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I wave at everybody!! Harleys , and metrics and even the cops out here wave back! I've been riding for over 20 yrs now and will always extend my hand and my help to anyone on two wheels wether I know them or not, maybe someday I'll be at the side of the road and need their help. It may be a small gesture but it sure goes a long way!

·
Registered
41 Posts
We do wave in England but more often its a nod of the head or a flesh of head light . most will return the greeting but some just dont think your worth the effort shame really but its there loss :pissoff: :pissoff:

·
Registered
421 Posts
I even wave to....

Wonderful and well-written story..

I even wave to the folks on the little 49 cc scooters...

·
Registered
381 Posts
i just bought my bike still haven't rode it on the road, but when i'm in my car i nod or wave if the window is down. my dad rides a little so i know the troubles. i like the comradirey the wave signifies but help me out here. i'm afriad of letting go of the handle bars with one hand. is it easier to ride one handed once your going down the road/ just need to practice. i know its a bit off topic. but can ya help me out on this topic

·
Registered
596 Posts
Sometimes after I am out riding all day I will catch myself waving at bikers while I'm driving my truck. Usually the people who don't wave back while I'm out riding are the old Harley riders.

·
Administrator
29,600 Posts
miafcowboy said:
i just bought my bike still haven't rode it on the road, but when i'm in my car i nod or wave if the window is down. my dad rides a little so i know the troubles. i like the comradirey the wave signifies but help me out here. i'm afriad of letting go of the handle bars with one hand. is it easier to ride one handed once your going down the road/ just need to practice. i know its a bit off topic. but can ya help me out on this topic
miaf;

I've got some news for ya. A lot of those guys who are too cool to wave... well they're usually beginners who are afraid to take their hands off the bars, too.

THe wave is just the wave. If someone doesn't wave back I just assume they didn't see me or can't get their hands off the bars. You take your time learning to ride and don't take your hands off the bars until you're comfortable

·
Premium Member
11,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
^^ yep - we'd ALL rather see you not wave than see you either uncomfortable or possibly hurt by trying!

take your time, get used to the bike, and when you're ready...we'll wave back! :)

cheers!

-mistress k

·
Premium Member
27,181 Posts
TW Fisher said:
Sometimes after I am out riding all day I will catch myself waving at bikers while I'm driving my truck. Usually the people who don't wave back while I'm out riding are the old Harley riders.
I always get a kick out of that. Had a guy standing on a street corner the other day give me the low two in almost an involuntary response. I smiled and nodded to him knowing he is a biker.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Great story.

At the beginning of riding season we usually wave more as there is less riders. As you travel some of the roads around here there can be quite a few riders and you seem to constantly be waving. Then comes the nod.

If I can't wave then I nod.

Both my husband and my self have been known to be driving the truck and go to do the wave and smack the knuckles on the inside of the door or window. LOL . This usually happens after riding season has ended ant there are fewer bikers on the road.

41 - 60 of 105 Posts