Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He went by me in a steak of hot chrome and leather.

Leather chaps, vest and skull cap.

Flannel shirt, untucked and buttoned to the top button.

Red handkerchief for a face mask (I hope he didn't just rob a bank)

Ape hangers, extra tall, rotated forward so he could barely reach them.

And all this on a straight pipe 650 Savage.

That was some badassery right there. Sent a chill up my spine.

·
Administrator
29,813 Posts
So what you'r telling me is you get passed a lot by people on 650 Suzuki cruisers. And that those people wear "biker" clothes. :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So what you'r telling me is you get passed a lot by people on 650 Suzuki cruisers. And that those people wear "biker" clothes. :biglaugh:
He went past me like a bolt of lightning.......

It was a 35mph speed zone, I was doing 38, devil that I am. Dude had to be doing 43, maybe 44, most likely 43.

Dang it, I forget to mention the get back whip.

He had a get back whip.

Reactions: Slimbone

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
LMAO, yup....650's used to be something..definitely more than a beginner's or a little girl's ride....was a time when 500ccs of blue smoke belchin power was one hell of a thrill ride..I miss those days.:boozin: (Yami RD's and RT's were the bomb :wayhappy:)

Wannabe thugs on little (650 is a thumper yah?) :biglaugh: Probably trying to get a part in one of them reality TV biker shows :biglaugh:

·
Administrator
29,813 Posts
650s still are badassery. I've been looking at vintage ones lately... And a Honda 600 goes about 140 miles an hour.

·
Administrator
29,813 Posts
But wait... I thought THIS was badassery...

That is badassery. Miss K had a whip on her bike, and liked it... And we used it to shock the squares in Shaker Heights one afternoon.

Cruisers are all about the look, and it sounds like he had the look he wanted. Sounds like he was having a good time.

Reactions: Slimbone

·
Administrator
29,813 Posts
LMAO, yup....650's used to be something..definitely more than a beginner's or a little girl's ride....was a time when 500ccs of blue smoke belchin power was one hell of a thrill ride..I miss those days.:boozin: (Yami RD's and RT's were the bomb :wayhappy:)

Wannabe thugs on little (650 is a thumper yah?) :biglaugh: Probably trying to get a part in one of them reality TV biker shows :biglaugh:

My first road bike was a 650 BSA lightning. Probably the most terrifying piece of road machinery ever. 0-100 in nuthin and no brakes and narrow tires. You had to be crazy to ride it. have you seen the cafe kits for the savage. cool.

Reactions: dfinitlydisturbd

·
Registered
671 Posts
Viper, when You and I were High School aged, 650's were badassery. :biglaugh:
Not on this planet. The thing is a 650 cc SINGLE CYLINDER low spec engine. It is equivalent to a torquey 250 at best.

I was a 11th grader when the 1st ones were made. NOBODY thought they were anything but a gutless beginners bike.

I DID find them fun to putt around on though. A friend bought one and proceeded to throw it off a California cliff. He managed to stay on the road above somehow. Scuffed up but not killed with the bike.

·
Administrator
57,126 Posts

650s still are badassery. I've been looking at vintage ones lately... And a Honda 600 goes about 140 miles an hour.
I'd especially love to own a restored BSA Victor 441 thumper.....or a Yankee 500cc twin, in pristine condition.
The Yankee 500 has two OSSA Stiletto 250cc engines coupled side by side together.
Although two-stroke motors, together they make around 75 HP.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Now THAT is badass!

If you want fast and fun, you want 1970's two-stroke, light frames with light motors that spin at close to light speed before even thinking about complaining. The tach on my '71 yami twin went all the way to 20K and the engine lived right there between 15 and 20. Stock not enough, open up the breathing with a die grinder, tweak the carbs, add bigger reeds and add some proper extractors easy peasy, go real fast, real quick and real cheap.

These middle-weight two-stroke twins earned the nickname “Pocket-Rocket” and for good reason; they were light, agile, had excellent handling/braking ...
Better brakes than a Vol. but still able to scare the living *** out of you when pushed to hard.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts

Engine type: Air-cooled 492 cc parallel twin 2-stroke. 47 hp (34.3 kW)/ 7.000 rpm, 5.7 kg-m/ 6,000 rpm. 110-120 mph.
As if more evidence were needed. We get a claimed 52bhp.
Looks just as good as anything out there, light as heck, and a perfect riding position to be comfortable whether cruising or hauling ***.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I rode, not owned, one of these once back in the eighties, The RE5 rotary engined Zook. Strange thing, hardly any vibration and never felt like it would stop revving.

Coops.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Now THAT is badass!

If you want fast and fun, you want 1970's two-stroke, light frames with light motors that spin at close to light speed before even thinking about complaining. The tach on my '71 yami twin went all the way to 20K and the engine lived right there between 15 and 20. Stock not enough, open up the breathing with a die grinder, tweak the carbs, add bigger reeds and add some proper extractors easy peasy, go real fast, real quick and real cheap.

Better brakes than a Vol. but still able to scare the living *** out of you when pushed to hard.

My all-time favorite Yamaha (and motorcycle) was my Kenny Roberts RZ350. Would probably have gotten to the 1/4 mile finish just as my C50 was passing the 1/8 mile mark - fast little bike. Always loved 2-strokes.

Reactions: Psyc0
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.