Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member from FLA with thanks to all the members who posted info on valve adjustments that gave me the courage to try it. 2005 C50T with 21k that I picked up used in fair shape, unknown maint history, it started and ran ok, but rough. Changed fluids, plugs and did the valve check finding all pretty loose. After adjusting valves, I had a really LOUD knocking ( not the sewing machine tick ) in rhythm with RPM's that did not ease if clutch engaged. I had to ride back home about 30 mins including 10 mins on the interstate at about 70mph. She ran ok, but the knocking was very loud, like someone hitting the pipes with a metal object. The friend who helped me now thinks we did it at the wrong TDC and we are going to try again. 2 questions please -- 1. If we used the wrong TDC for the adjustment would the bike have even started and run ? 2. Should I assume that there is some damage from riding back even though she still runs........ thanks for any input

·
Registered
21,402 Posts
Yes the bike will start and run if you did the adjustment on the wrong stroke. You can make a handy tool out of a piece of tube and a balloon. Make sure the tube fills the spark plug hole, attach the balloon to the other end and rotate the engine. When the balloon begins to inflate, you are on the compression stroke.

Reactions: SSquire

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Incredible ! We did the balloon thing and found the proper TDC right away. Re-did the valve adjustment with the Jpaige method and my horrendous knock is gone and has been replace by the Suzuki engine elves knitting some socks. Did and hour ride with no problems and all seems well. Thanks to this community for helping an idiot find a path to sanity.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts