1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Breaking News: Motorcyclist killed in crash on the Dragon

By Jessica Stith
of The Daily Times Staff

A 21-year-old Maryland man was killed when his motorcycle traveled off of the road and hit a tree on Calderwood Highway Monday night.

Jerrett Andrew Proctor, 21, Brandywine, Md., was pronounced dead at the scene, according to Tennessee Highway Patrol Trooper John Pedigo.

Pedigo said Proctor was riding a 2008 Suzuki Hayabusa southbound on the Dragon with a group of family members on motorcycles.

"He came out of a curve and was traveling up the hill and he left the pavement," Pedigo said.

When Proctor's motorcycle left the roadway between mile markers 3 and 4 on the Dragon, the back of the bike struck a tree.

Pedigo said the motorcycle fell 23 feet down an embankment, and Proctor fell 27 feet from the roadway. Proctor landed under a tree that had been cut down.

"He left 230 feet and 7 inches of skid marks," Pedigo said. "Speed was a factor."

According to Suzuki's web site, the Hayabusa is the fastest motorcycle in the world.

Pedigo said Proctor was wearing a helmet. His body was taken by ambulance to Blount Memorial Hospital.

The Blount County Sheriff's Office, Rural/Metro Ambulance Service and the Blount County Volunteer Rescue Squad assisted THP at the accident scene.

Monday's accident resulted in the third traffic fatality this year in Blount County.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
The real sad part of this is that many people will read this but still don't get it. Motorcycling is a great sport for people with common sense! If you get into it to show off or to impress other people your better off learning the guitar.
There are no do overs in motorcycling!!

·
Premium Member
16,535 Posts
Bob Penn said:
The real sad part of this is that many people will read this but still don't get it. Motorcycling is a great sport for people with common sense! If you get into it to show off or to impress other people your better off learning the guitar.
There are no do overs in motorcycling!!
Yeah, kind of what I was thinking....If people would slow down on the Dragon (or anywhere else) and enjoy the ride the way it is meant to be enjoyed a lot of lives would be saved and numerous injuries prevented. It is not a race track. I like to ride the twisties as much as anybody but do it within safe limits.
Sadly this young man won't have the chance to learn from his mistakes.
Hopefully others will.

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
Bobocephus said:
Breaking News: Motorcyclist killed in crash on the Dragon

Pedigo said Proctor was riding a 2008 Suzuki Hayabusa . . . "He left 230 feet and 7 inches of skid marks," Pedigo said. "Speed was a factor."
I'm shocked I tell ya, shocked! :shock:

:cry: Totally preventable, which makes it all the more tragic.

·
Administrator
29,689 Posts
230 ft of skid marks... Holy cow! Any math wizards out there... That's gotta be 90+

Cazart. I feel sorry for the fellow but riding that fast on the dragon is suicide.

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
tragic and dumb.

however 21's belive themselve invulnerable , invincable , and imortal till life hit them up side the head w/ 3 inch lead pipe at 23 and sometimes even then that don't get thier attention.
too bad he didn't get that far.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This might not be appropriate to post here and if the MODs feel it needs to be moved, I understand.

The formula is: Speed = sqrt(30 x Coefficient of Drag x Length)

Although the speed of a vehicle can be determined by the length of it's skid marks, the weight of the vehicle and rider, the grade of the road and the condition of the tires must also be considered. Also, if the vehicle was still moving at the time of the impact, skid/speed formulas will only yield the minimum "original" speed.

According to crawford online, his minimum speed before the skid is 68.5 MPH. Remember too, that he was travelling uphill and still left 230 feet of skid marks on a bike capable of over 200 mph from the factory!

Way too fast for any stretch of the Dragon IMHO.

Way too much bike for a 21 year-old IMHO.

Prayers go out to his family...from what I understand, they were riding with him.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Toe Knee said:
68mph.

From what I understand SOME spots of the dragon yeilds pain at 25-30mph.
You're right! Many people riding the dragon never get out of second, or at most, third gear!

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
Smokey said:
Toe Knee said:
68mph.

From what I understand SOME spots of the dragon yeilds pain at 25-30mph.
You're right! Many people riding the dragon never get out of second, or at most, third gear!
sound like the DJ drive will be good to have for it. 1st and 2nd won't be so jerky.

·
Administrator
29,689 Posts
68 minimum, he was going uphill, depending on the grade this puts speed estimates much higher. Way too fast for any set of twistys, maybe even too fast for a road course on a racetrack on a chicane.

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
all the utube high speed dragon rides that promote such behaviour don't help.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Bobocephus said:
This might not be appropriate to post here and if the MODs feel it needs to be moved, I understand.

The formula is: Speed = sqrt(30 x Coefficient of Drag x Length)

Although the speed of a vehicle can be determined by the length of it's skid marks, the weight of the vehicle and rider, the grade of the road and the condition of the tires must also be considered. Also, if the vehicle was still moving at the time of the impact, skid/speed formulas will only yield the minimum "original" speed.

According to crawford online, his minimum speed before the skid is 68.5 MPH. Remember too, that he was travelling uphill and still left 230 feet of skid marks on a bike capable of over 200 mph from the factory!

Way too fast for any stretch of the Dragon IMHO.

Way too much bike for a 21 year-old IMHO.

Prayers go out to his family...from what I understand, they were riding with him.
:withstupid:

Way too much fast! I happen to love the track bikes and was glad when they gave the versatility to the normal rider to test their metal on some really powerful machines. Recently, I have rethought my postion and now conclude that many of these racing replicas should be only allowed back on tracks or at riding venues designed for their proper usage. There is a reason race venues are made the way they are and that is for safety. The kids having access to these machines on wooded parkways etc. is not the place for this kind of riding. We had 11 bikes in our garage two summers ago when my son and his buddies had 4 or 5 bikes in disrepair all due to this kind of testosterone filled riding. I finally got them to relent before it was too late.
Heart goes out to the family!!

·
Registered
17,083 Posts
too bad for him and his family that watched him do it, but fortunately the gene pool has been cleansed.

·
Registered
394 Posts
basshole said:
too bad for him and his family that watched him do it, but fortunately the gene pool has been cleansed.
Wow.. harsh.. :shock:

·
Banned
24,655 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts