Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there.

Could anyone please tell me, where to get at DJ drive for my 04 Volusia..

For 4 years I have been trying to get it into the 6´th gear...but it won´t..

I might go as far as to trade my fine Volusia for a VL1500 or a M1800R.

Saludos
Don Roberto
Andalucia,
España

·
Registered
19,696 Posts
The "DJ" drive or any of it's iterations, is a modified VL1400 or VL1500 final drive. The project is the epitome of shade tree mechanic's ingenuity. At this time, I am not aware of anyone currently doing the conversions. The only source available is to find a used one and purchase it for your bike, or locate a VL1400/VL1500 drive and find a machinist who can make the necessary modifications to fit your bike.

Reactions: Don Roberto

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Hey Don! I too am familiar with that "trying to get it into 6th gear" feeling on my '01 Volusia. I did the DJ drive conversion last summer and I'm much more comfortable with the gear ratios now. It's probably some of the best money you can invest in your ride (after a new seat). While I don't want to contradict Skrapiron, There is a member here on the VR Forum who does all the modification work and will sell you a complete drive. All you have to do is swap out the drives. (FYI: the mounting holes will need to be enlarged slightly). The member here is Corey. Do a search on DJ Drive and I'm sure one of his posting will come up. If you need further help, just reach out to me.

Happy New Year!

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Don: I just posted a private message with Corey's info on your visitors page.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your help..

I wrote to Corey and he wrote back..
If that will end up in a DJ Drive, I don´t know, cause I haven´t heard from him since then..
He might be busy.

Thanks again, and if you have further info, I´m all ears.

Saludos
Don Roberto

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
I believe he does travel for work. DJ drivers are a sideline for him. Give him a few then hit him up again. He's good folks.

·
Registered
20,625 Posts
A second on what's been said. Corey is a trustworthy member, and anyone that's done business with him, has nothing but outstanding things to say.
The drive conversion is a pretty simple one and well worth it. No more shifting halfway thru an intersection. Cruising is more fun without worrying about what gear your in. It does take some time to get used to it, but it's great.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do believe you all and I haven't said anything else.
I've heard from Corey, and he will send me a price one of the days.
He is not so keen on sending to Spain, but I haven't had any biggernissues with the Spanish Correo...
Otherwise there is the other posibilidad to send it to my home in Denmark..
I'm going on summer vacation in Denmark mid April and I'm taking my Suzy with me..
It would had been nice to have it fitted before going to Denmark.. It's 3.400 km here from Costa del Sol to my Viking home in Northern Jutland..:wink2:

So I'll wait patiently....
Does any of you have a DJ drive and if yes, what are your thoughts ?
I've been on the brink of selling my Suzy but then I heard about this...
I hope it'll be fantastic.
Saludos
Don Roberto

·
Registered
20,625 Posts
I've had one for years and can't imagine riding without it now. Wifey didn't like riding with the stock rear, said she heard it "crying" when running 50mph. Now she loves riding since the new drive rides smoother and doesn't "cry". I love the smoother ride and lower rpm's along with the extended gear range.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've had one for years and can't imagine riding without it now. Wifey didn't like riding with the stock rear, said she heard it "crying" when running 50mph. Now she loves riding since the new drive rides smoother and doesn't "cry". I love the smoother ride and lower rpm's along with the extended gear range.
Goodness I can't wait to do this. I really don't understand the stock gearing on this bike... I talked 2 the wife about it, and when some smoke clears I will be making this purchase!!! Can't wait.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
this is a little dated post but if someone happens to look up DJ Drives this may pop up. Just completed my mod to my '04 Volusia. Bought the "Dj Drive"/modified final drive from Motiv on this site. He was fast in getting it to me and the box came well packed. He even helped on some install questions. Motiv is great...highly recommend him. The weather has been crappy but I did get to take it out for a short test ride. It was fantastic. Cruising on the interstate not having to look for the 6th gear was exactly what I wanted. Performance in all gears seems to be much better. I don't shift as much. The only thing I noticed was that the quick gitty up and go (torque) from a stop is not as quick as before but then again I don't need that. I can hardly wait to go for a long ride. Between work and weather it's been hard to get out and really test it. the mod is a great investment and it's not hard to install.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did mine myself a couple months ago. I bought a used C50 drive shaft and a VS1400 final drive, so I could remove my stock drive intact and keep it for reinstall if any problems happen or if I ever sell the bike. Then I will have a complete ready to install Mod to sell to someone else. Hardest part is finding a machine shop that can cut hardened steel. Cost to machine Shaft and spacer was $125. The only real negative is very clutch heavy launch from stop with GF on the back. Once rolling its fine, and solo riding is awesome.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I had a DJ on my 05 C50 and reinstalled it on my 09 when I traded. Did a lot of riding with my sweetie and she is queen size. Pulling away from a stop did take a bit more but you don't have to tear away from every stop. One trick is once you are rolling a bit let off the gas, let out the clutch and go. If you are trying to beat somebody from a light two up, then you need a different bike or put the old drive back on. Oh yes only 805cc better get the bigger bike!

Reactions: scorpion46

·
Registered
35 Posts
...The only real negative is very clutch heavy launch from stop with GF on the back. Once rolling its fine, and solo riding is awesome.
My solution for getting the wife off mine was signing her up for motorcycle classes last year and buying her a bike for her birthday! Now we ride together...on our own bikes!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts