Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Greetings,
I just bought a C90 drive, will receive in about 1-1/2 weeks. Could anyone post the email addresses of Hillis and Aric so I can get prices for a complete conversion, ready to bolt in? I would want to get a price also for the alteration necessary for using the fake swingarm. Thanks for any assistance. You can either post here or send me the info at [email protected].

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Last I heard Dan's website is down. This is the only contact info I have.

Phone 419 656 5347

Dan's got alot of irons in the fire, the trick is to just keep trying.

Aric can be reached via e-mail [email protected]

·
Registered
111 Posts
So, does this all mean that a taller gears are not available - or prohibitively expensive? Or is it that this mod is easier than swapping out gears?

Also, if someone were to buy a one of the rears mentioned above, would it be possible to just swap those gears into the C50 rear case?

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The gears from a C90 will not fit in a C50 drive housing, they are physically too large.

DJ Hillis originaly looked into having a different gearset cut, and unless he wanted to buy like 5000 sets, the costs was not worth it.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Great write up Viper.... Thanks! Could you tell me if you could just modify a VS1400 Intruder Drive-shaft to fit the C50? I have a 2008 C50 and would love to have this done! (about 100 miles of Hwy driving to work) I've seen VS1400 Intruder S83 Final drive assembly's on E-Bay, but I'm not really sure what i'm looking for.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yes, the 1400 driveshaft can be modified. It is quite abit too short, but one of the modifiers, DJ Hillis does lenthen and balance that driveshaft.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
There is a new way to skin the same old cat, it involves trimming 3/16ths of an inch off the engine side of the u-joint and then use a stock, unmodified C50/VL800 driveshaft.

VR member BIGBIRD has done it and it seems to be working. I am pretty convinced that it will cause no problems.

The upside is that the only machining modification is a simple trimming of the u-joint.

The downside is that removing the u-joint is alittle labor intensive, but not all that bad.

You can read about it here. http://www.volusiariders.com/58-motors-transmissions-drives/220864-1500-drive-mod.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Final Drive compatibility

I found a 1991 VS 1400 final drive. Is this going to be a fit for a 2002 Volusia 800. Of course, I know about some potential issues like mounting holes need to be open up the drive shaft needs to be modified. I just want to make sure it is a basic fit.

Thanks

Samuki

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
Yep- Perfect for the mod.. You can just mod your C50 driveshaft. There are drawings in the drives section on sticky that will guide you. You will need a new grease seal for the drive, and a burr or file to make the holes elongated.. easy to do..
Oh and Honda Moly 60 paste for the splines.
Cheers

·
Registered
666 Posts
I finally installed my dj drive yesterday. You can ally tell a difference. I mean when I'm at 85 and still have plenty of throttle, that's something to boast about. During the install I gave up trying to file the holes and just drilled them. Does anyone sell the bushings needed to reinstall the c50 drive?

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
I finally installed my dj drive yesterday. You can ally tell a difference. I mean when I'm at 85 and still have plenty of throttle, that's something to boast about. During the install I gave up trying to file the holes and just drilled them. Does anyone sell the bushings needed to reinstall the c50 drive?
mebbe find a steel tube of the right dimensions?
or ask bigbird123. since he does the Kruz drive.

Hills use to include them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
c90 mod

hello to 472viper.i have just read your details regarding the c90 into an m50 rear drive mod.i am a motor mechanic with over 40 years experience & found your information to be very good.well done.:wayhappy:great work mate..i have been trying to find this information & just stumbled onto it today..cheers from paul in sydney australia..

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Thanks Paul. Good luck with your project, there are a number of these modified drives that your Australian pals have done.

R

·
0 Posts
Polished and waiting

Just need my driveshaft and other parts from Aric. Got this baby all polished, now to keep it that way. Anybody spray theirs with clear coat? :wayhappy:

image.jpg

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
How did you get that looking that great?????????? Details please!!!!

Jim

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Just need my driveshaft and other parts from Aric. Got this baby all polished, now to keep it that way. Anybody spray theirs with clear coat? :wayhappy:

View attachment 17714
Ya got it so smooth and shiny would clear coat stick to it ? :biglaugh:

R

·
0 Posts
JimP
I first removed the clearcoat that was on it, had some marks I wanted to remove. Then, I used a scotch brute pad with metal polish and rubbed, rubbed, rubbed. Then I put a sewn cotton buffing wheels on my pneumatic die grinder and used jewelers metal polish for aluminum. It took some time but I got the finish I wanted. Yes, it looks like chrome.

Viper, I don't know if clearcoat will stick or not. It is smooth. But there is a clearcoat on them originally.

Looks good doesn't it?

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Looks good, yes.

A little Never Dull from time to time will keep it looking that good.

21 - 40 of 87 Posts