Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cruzin along out in the country this morning. Following a buddy of mine down this little 2 lane black top road. My bike started making loud noises in the drive train when I let off the gas or when I got on the gas. I think the problem is in the rear end or the u-joint. Don't think it is the clutch. In gear w/the bike off I can roll the bike forward and back about 10-12" and there is a clunking sound. Looks like I will get to see if the extended warranty I bought is worth the paper it is printed on. Got it on my dads trailer and hauled it to the dealer. They can't look at it today.

RIde Safe,
Rex

·
Registered
17,083 Posts
The extended warranty worked for me about two weeks ago Rex. I'm hoping you have the same luck with it as me.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I hope you didn't do the DJ-Drive Mod... Or else I see your future either paying out the @$$ for the repair of just buying a new bike...

Hope all works out for you!!!

RON

PS. make sure you light a fire under the dealers ass... only 70 something days left until TOTT...

·
Premium Member
11,856 Posts
aww jeez, sorry to hear that rex...sure hope you can make motor city madness..

cheers!

-mistress k

·
Banned
24,655 Posts
Damn! Sorry to hear this with only a few weeks to Rolling Thunder.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope no DJ drive yet. I changed the rear end lube about 2000 mi ago. Just checked it 2 weeks ago. I think it is the U-joint but since I had it on a trailer anyway I just took it to the dealer. Hopefully they can look at it soon and get the parts in. I have another bike I can borrow for a wile so I'm not 2 wheel less.

Ride Safe,
Rex

·
Premium Member
5,046 Posts
v01rider said:
how does one check the u-joint?
Well, you can try and pull it out with the drive shaft. It has to come out that way or you have to pull the motor. It is a PITA to pull if your trying to. If your not trying to it slides right out with the drive shaft. :roll:

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Garym262 said:
v01rider said:
how does one check the u-joint?
Well, you can try and pull it out with the drive shaft. It has to come out that way or you have to pull the motor. It is a PITA to pull if your trying to. If your not trying to it slides right out with the drive shaft. :roll:
If you did have trouble pulling the u-joint, you could also disconnect the dogbones and with the rear wheel off I think the swing arm will rotate up enough to access the u-joint. If not I think I'd pull the swingarm before I'd pull the engine.
Viper

·
Banned
24,655 Posts
Garym262 said:
It is a PITA to pull if your trying to. If your not trying to it slides right out with the drive shaft. :roll:
Aint that the truth!

·
Premium Member
28,465 Posts
Bummer Rex, hopefully it's something simple and easy to fix.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK just called the dealer. Wonder why I had to call them? They didn't call me. The tech that looked at the bike say I'm right and it its the U-joint.
They still have to call the extended warranty people and get permission to do the job BEFORE they will even order the parts. It sounded like they hadn't even called yet. Hopefully I'll have better info in the AM. The service MGR who I usually deal with is on vacation.

Ride Safe,
Rex

·
Premium Member
11,856 Posts
every other day? i'd be calling them twice a day! :twisted:

good luck rex - i really hope your experience with warranty service is better than a lot of people's has been.. :wink:

cheers!

-mistress k

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The parts are on order and the extended warranty is going to take care of it. I might get my bike back by the end of next week but they are not sure. I guess they didn't have to go all the way to japan for parts after all.

Ride Safe,
Rex

·
Registered
17,083 Posts
Beats paying for it out of your own pocket. Hope it gets done sooner for ya.
shooterrex said:
The parts are on order and the extended warranty is going to take care of it. I might get my bike back by the end of next week but they are not sure. I guess they didn't have to go all the way to japan for parts after all.

Ride Safe,
Rex

1 - 20 of 31 Posts