1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Administrator
29,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
Looks like they're keeping with their long-held philosophy of making them fugly. :lol:

·
Administrator
29,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I gotta tell ya, that, IMHO, is the evilest, nastiest, cruelest looking piece of machinery I've ever seen. It looks like a Hyabusa with alien technology on board.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Will someone please tell me what is so special about the Beemer, that is if you can tell which one it is without looking at the names.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Okie said:
Doubt if it could keep up with a 'busa...
Different class. This is looking at litre class. And at 190Kg/190HP they will be kicking some serious butt. They have to sell at least 1000 to the public, sweet.

·
Administrator
53,918 Posts
They've (BMW) sold themselves to the devil!

·
Premium Member
7,988 Posts
Mr. Efficiency said:
I gotta tell ya, that, IMHO, is the evilest, nastiest, cruelest looking piece of machinery I've ever seen. It looks like a Hyabusa with alien technology on board.
You obviously havent seen a busa....

Okie said:
Doubt if it could keep up with a 'busa...
All production superbikes are limited to 186mph, im sure the new BMW will be lighter, and produce more HP, but will also be less aerodynamic.

·
Banned
3,012 Posts
Bootlegger said:
Will someone please tell me what is so special about the Beemer, that is if you can tell which one it is without looking at the names.
Very nicely pointed out Bootlegger!

Well, they tried to take on the Cruiser market and that flopped - so now try the sportbike market.

·
Administrator
29,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bootlegger:

You actually ask a very good question and really, the point of the whole exercise. Performance wise, other than exotics like the fastest Ducatis and hard to obtain european sporties, the Japanese have owned high performance motorcycling.

To be a player, you must win on the track. The Hayabusa, as many have mentioned, does not own the current stock 12-13 LSR; believe it or not, that's held by another Beemer, the K1200s. And yes, Virginia, I could race a Hayabusa on a real world road with one, and win. Possibly.

So let's get back to the point. The Japanese own the high performance world. Why should you care? Because that means they own quality, design and application capability 20 years ahead of their competitors. Give credit where credit is due. And if you don't think this doesn't mean anything to a cruiser rider, well, the answer is no. Good engineering is good engineering. The C-50 is a great bike because of its inexpensive, high quality guts, not because of its plastic fenders and trim.

They've owned it cince 1970, too, when the first kawi triples took over the world.

Unlike Stock car racing and F-1, which have factory sponsorship, you can go out, at reasonable cost, and have a piece of this racing heritage. The Japanese bikes offer extreme performance at a bargain price. Real world; the Chevy Malibu is nothing like a NASCAR but a 750 Gixxer is a super ultra high performance machine, with track ready performance. So, in other words, success on the track really does mean a better bike for Joe Average, not just an adverising opportunity.

Now lets take a moment and discuss the Busa. I won't diss it, but its not a race bike, it is a bragging rights bike. And being king of the stoplight to stoplight crowd is cool. But its not a switchblade gixxer, or one of the evil Ducati supersports, or one of the Nasty Hondas prowling the upper reaches of the racing world. Fact is, its too big.

Now don't get me wrong, its a fine machine. But its not a liter track racer (but a great amateur equalizer.)

So, for the first time in almost 40 years, a manufacturer has said "we are going to build a cheap, fast, brutally capable world-class sportbike and then we're going to lay some pipe to you on the track." It is a milestone. Now granted, the first prods of this bike will not be cheap (BMW's LeMans winning HP2 sportbike is $25,000) but when they get past the first run they promise affordable, fast, handling, topped with German engineering.

Now BMW is probably the world leader in bike reputation. Their bikes are dependable, reliable, provide superlative real-world road handling comfort and safety. And have a well-earned credibility as the toughest and best engineered bikes, as well. BUT THEY ARE NOT FAST. And they are INSANELY expensive. My current bike is pretty fast, but its not really fast. BMW is actually stepping outside the box its been in for 70 years (BMW held all the motorcycle speed records in the 20's and 30's)

Its very exciting.

·
Registered
18,342 Posts
TNrookie said:
Looks like they're keeping with their long-held philosophy of making them fugly. :lol:
:biglaugh:

·
Administrator
29,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cycle:

I will agree with you that BMW's cruiser was a flop. It is not native to BMWs engineers to build a bike with a lot of stuff on it that doesn't do anything. Also, they had never used chrome before and it showed.

I mean define success in cruiser building. "Lots of people bought it and rode around and made lots of noise." It makes no practical sense, so you could imagine some classical German Engineer trying to wrap his rigid mind around cruiser aesthetics. Remember BMW is a privately held company, the motorcycle division is about net profit margin and building great bikes by hand in a small factory in Berlin. Selling a zillion bikes does nothing for them, selling the 100,000 they can make in a year at a good profit is. So, all the cruisers they made, they sold. And they're not bad bikes, just incredibly misguided silly bikes.

Some people want to sell 300 gazillion bikes and please stockholders, some want to sell some bikes, keep the doors open and make a tidy profit.

But this is not the same. They want to be price point competitive with this bike and win some races. Just because they can...

·
Premium Member
20,380 Posts
Mr. Efficiency said:
Selling a zillion bikes does nothing for them, selling the 100,000 they can make in a year at a good profit is.
Then Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki really have nothing to fear...

·
Premium Member
11,858 Posts
regardless of the politics involved, i think the bike is cool, and would like to give it a whirl...under some pretty heavily controlled circumstances :wink:

cheers!

-mistress k

·
Administrator
29,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well fun, you misconstrue the statement. Indeed, noone need fear loss of market share to BMW. They are not going to switch to mass production to sell more bikes. That's a stupid and short-sighted idea. Market share is overrated...

They will need to begin fearing them on the track, very soon. All 3 major Japanese brands take their race superiority very seriously and if they start getting whupped in superbike it will be seen as a loss of face (In the big leagues at MotoGP, Ducati is already a serious threat and you see a lot more Ducs on the street because of it.) If you've done business with the Japanese, you'll know this is far worse than having market share taken away. Managers will be taken down to the production floor and humiliated in public, firing will be too good for them.

You make an interesting point, though. Its interesting to hear the American "Oh yeah, the guy who's biggest wins" mentality. To many machine manufacturers around the world, quality, precision, performance and profit are the only important factors. A small, precise factory making the best machine with a 10% sustainable net profit is superior to a huge factory selling millions of good bikes netting 8% if you're the owner of the factory getting the respect and profits from the result.

Both approaches are better than fad-based marketing that fuels inconsistent production levels, yields inconsistent results and inconsistent quality. GM, Ford and anyone else making machines in the US right now is learning that. Let's hope, not too late.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts