Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yep...winter time blues...did hit 40 today...could have went for a cruise,,,even if just a short one to feed the need but decided to take advantage of the warmer temps to de-trash my garage...yep...all that stuff i been putting off getting rid off just because...well...today was dump day, so spent the last few days, making a serious attempt of getting all the bs together so I could bring it to the dump once and for all...

actually and surprizingly made alot of progress and was rewarded with the return of available space in the garage....never found that secret stash of rolled up nickels and dimes I had hidden...think the wife stole them...can't trust anyone these days...anyway...still lots of cleaning yet to do out there and then the basement...starting with getting rid of my 7 foot slate pool table...lots of good memories but been using it to fold laundry mostly, and found someone who could actually use/want it...my other son...my sons best friend...hope the wife doesn't seriously think she's going to do something with that area now...fat chance...anyway...that time of year.

Have a happy holiday season all.

·
Super Moderator
31,308 Posts
That sounds like an accurate time estimate. 😂

·
Super Moderator
24,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just remembered need to bring up the small fridge from the pool table area in the basement that hasn't been used/powered on since can't remember when...wife didn't quite understand the need of my keeping worms in the kitchen fridge when i was fishing recently on a daily basis...she did suggest I keep them in that fridge downstairs but then i would have had to go "all the way downstairs"...told her she must be nuts...too much time and effort required to do that....did notice alot of my things being put out in the garage shortly after that...sure what i said had nothing to do with that...

women...no sense of humor...they just don't get it...then again... if I continue to use the kitchen fridge when the weather warms up and the daily fishing resumes...I won't be getting "it" either...

interesting trade off now that I think of it...fishing...getting it...fishing...getting it...one of those

things that I'll have to ponder over the winter....

you know...life here would be so much smipler if a certain Fat Guy left me one of these under the tree

whatever.

·
Super Moderator
24,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wonder who this looks like...

Beard Gesture Goggles Art Wrinkle

·
Super Moderator
24,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
living in the country, garages tend to become hostels for creatures looking for shelter in the colder temps...learned very early on the skills they have in getting to places on the ground behind boxes, inside boxes, in the rafters, anywhere and everywhere they are able to nest, one has to take measures to try to control their presence...so I place cubes of bait for them to nibble on in various places and then they go searching outside for water, which in turn bloats there stomach and unfortunately ends their lives...cruel I know but is what it is...

so was expecting to find some leftover carcasses tucked away here and there and surprised to not find any... good reminder now to remember to scatter some more thruout the garage...did have to remember to remove them when my daughter would visit w/her dogs...did find one of the dogs taking an interest in the bait cubes one time when I was doing something in the garage and he was with me...saw him sniffing something and making an attempt to move it to where he could get a better look at what it was... pets & kids...always find a way to add to ones gray hairs...but like a wife...can't live with them/can't live w/o them.

·
Super Moderator
64,015 Posts
The neighbor's dog ate some mole poison bait I had in a hole and got sick off it.

·
Super Moderator
9,380 Posts
We've taken to using the battery-operated electrocution mouse traps. Although you need to remember to change the batteries out fairly often, especially in colder weather, they get the job done, and don't use poison. I couldn't forgive myself if any of my cats ate a poisoned mouse.

·
Super Moderator
24,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
when my daughter was little I tried using the glue traps, thinking that was more humane...worse now that I reconsider it...but the first mouse we caught, I was so proud of my victory I called my kids over to see what happened...their reaction:

son dan...really dad...feel like a big man now...
daughter jen...thats horrible dad...how could you,,,look at him ..he can't get away...I hate you.

till today...she still remembers and reminds me never to subject anything to that experience again...yep...sometimes our kids can teach us something too.

·
Super Moderator
9,380 Posts
Glue traps are a no-go for me. The very concept bothers me.

And, unfortunately, I have seen snap traps maim, and then had to finish the wounded mouse off myself. No bueno.

The electrocution traps are a good alternative, for me anyway. I honestly don't want to kill the mice, but they refuse to leave my power equipment alone, so ... BZZZZZTT!!!

Reactions: beezer

·
Registered
189 Posts
Our outdoor cat keeps most mice and even rats away, but we have a serious gopher problem in our back yard.
This has been effective, but I have to keep the dog away from it while it's set. Keep a 5 gallon bucket of water handy, sometimes it just snags a leg, and drowning is quick and humane. I think.

Homepage - GopherHawk

Plant Rectangle Grass Wood Skyscraper

·
Super Moderator
24,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
have had similar issues in the past and frustrates the h#ll out of me when i notice the damage they cause...this year was surprised to see not 1 problem...may consider investing in one of these if the problem returns next year...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts