Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having a problem dealing with Neutral on my bike. Maybe I'm still getting used to it, but so many times when I'm downshifting like towards a stop, I get to first gear, and it pops into Neutral. Then, so many times when I'm ready to turn the bike off , I get it into first, then I go to hit Neutral, and I can't get the darn thing to go into Neutral! My husband says that when I downshift, I need to hit it hard enough with my toe to get it into first gear. But I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong when I can't get it to pop into neutral! I've had to shut the bike off in first gear, and then remember to hold the clutch in when I restart it because I'm still in first gear. Has anyone else had this problem with their C50??

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
I have at times. Is your clutch cable adjusted correctly. I find Some times at standing I have it in but won't go neutral till I ease out the the lever a bit and then I hear/ feel the chunk.

BTW MSF says it is good to shut the bike off in gear, Keeps it from rolling on you when it shouldn't.

Also they are correct on the shifter " kick it like you mean it" I stomp firmly , heel or toe.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
It is a good idea to stop the bike in first gear. It will not roll on you that way.
You don't ask these bikes to shift you TELL them to shift. Shift like you mean it. The shifting will get better the more you ride.

Ride Safe,
Rex

Reactions: vballz

·
Registered
357 Posts
From stopped and in first gear you may also need to rock the bike back & forwards to release pressure on the gears to allow you to pop it into neutral....

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
My C50T jumped into neutral the other day when I was slowly pulling out from a stop and making a left turn. In fact, it did this two different times. I guess it wasn't locked into first gear but there wasn't any neutral light showing when I pulled out from the stop.

Mine goes into neutral real easily regardless of whether the engine is running or shut off.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
I've had a similar problem if I'm really close to being stopped and haven't reached 1st yet. Once I'm only going a few miles an hour getting from 2nd to 1st can be tricky, sometimes impossible and I've found myself pressing hard, thinking I'm in 1st but really be hitting neutral. Maybe that's what you're experiencing? The trick for me was really just to shift down a few seconds earlier so that I actually reached 1st while still moving.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Also, if you change down and 'blip' the throttle sligthly when the clutch is in you will find it will slip into first more sweetly

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think of it as "pressing" it into nuetral. I don't stomp or push the pedal. I firmly press it. Since it's a longer motion and I keep my foot pushing down, I can feel it go through neutral to 1st. Maybe trying this will help alleviate the problem. I know when I try to "stomp" the heel shifter up from 1st, I've sometimes just put it in neutral cause I didn't stomp hard enough. So now I always use the toe shifter for downshifting and going from 1st to 2nd, and heel shift the rest.

Alexi

·
Registered
62 Posts
This is my 3rd Suzuki and all of them have had similar issues. I found that some of my shifting problems have lessened now that I have switched to synthetic.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
*Southpaw said:
I've had to shut the bike off in first gear, and then remember to hold the clutch in when I restart it because I'm still in first gear.

Don't you always have to hold the clutch in when you start your bike? My Vol is that way. Doesn't matter if I'm gear or in neutral.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Siouxperkev said:
Don't you always have to hold the clutch in when you start your bike? My Vol is that way. Doesn't matter if I'm gear or in neutral.
I haven't tried starting in neutral without the clutch, but the instructors at the msf course mentioned how stupid it looks to release the clutch really quick after you start, think you're in neutral, and you're really in gear. Good way to look like a moron real quick.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
jason1gp said:
Siouxperkev said:
I haven't tried starting in neutral without the clutch, but the instructors at the msf course mentioned how stupid it looks to release the clutch really quick after you start, think you're in neutral, and you're really in gear. Good way to look like a moron real quick.
I hear ya!! Really sucks when you are standing next to your bike to start it and you let the clutch out when its in gear. Don't ask me how I know this. :oops: It about killed me.

But just making a comment that you won't get anything from the starter unless the clutch is engaged. That is unless the Bouly's are different in that way.

·
Registered
18,342 Posts
and in some instances you'll find 'neutral' between 4th and 5th on the upshift as well, especially if you don't TELL it to shift

...i'm just sayin 8)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts