Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In one word, WOW!!! It is kinda funny looking but I like it. You would never know this bike weighs almost 300 pounds more then my C50. Balance on this thing is amazing. slow speed maneuverabilty is fabulous.

I went to Moms South in Foxboro, MA for an open house. Saw they had test rides and said I wanted to take it out.. so after showing me the controls, of fI went down route 1 and past Gillette Stadium. got some good speed up.. about 65 in 4th with no problem... hmm a little windy.... push a button and raise the windscreen.. no more wind... push another button and turn on the stereo. pretty good sound to it. get off route 1 onto a small back road and through some twistys. Man that bike handles nice through them. Back to route 1 and back to Moms. I then went out to the back of the lot and did some slow speed figure 8's.

What a dream this bike is. I think I may have found my next bike in a year or 2.

The only thing I didn't really like was the small storage space in the hard bags.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
803 Posts
randygeb said:
In one word, WOW!!! It is kinda funny looking but I like it. You would never know this bike weighs almost 300 pounds more then my C50. Balance on this thing is amazing. slow speed maneuverabilty is fabulous.

I went to Moms South in Foxboro, MA for an open house. Saw they had test rides and said I wanted to take it out.. so after showing me the controls, of fI went down route 1 and past Gillette Stadium. got some good speed up.. about 65 in 4th with no problem... hmm a little windy.... push a button and raise the windscreen.. no more wind... push another button and turn on the stereo. pretty good sound to it. get off route 1 onto a small back road and through some twistys. Man that bike handles nice through them. Back to route 1 and back to Moms. I then went out to the back of the lot and did some slow speed figure 8's.

What a dream this bike is. I think I may have found my next bike in a year or 2.

The only thing I didn't really like was the small storage space in the hard bags.
yes but it still is ugly I mean bad Ugly
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,937 Posts
Yep, it's a really nice ride Randy.

Now you've been bitten by the bug.

:wink:

And here we go with 6 more pages of "it's ugly", just like the other 3 or 4 threads on the board.

You either love it, or hate it. There's no middle ground.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
I rode one a couple of times and liked it. Very good riding bike. I really liked the electric adjustable windshield. It just costs too much for me. Maybe in a couple of years when used bikes are on the market.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Victory Vision

I also test rode the Vision yesterday at our local dealer in Murfreesboro. Like you I'd say WOW, except....... Luckily it was a very windy day here yesterday and just holding the Vision in the rode was a chore! All those body fairings were like putting a sail in the air. I also rode the Kingpin, much better under the windy conditions, but as badly as I hate to say it, I got off the bike thinking the metric was still the better quality bike. I have a windshield fairing on my C50 and rode under the same windy conditions most all day yesterday with no problems. My advise, go back and ride the Vision when the conditions aren't so good, and get it up to interstate travelling speed, and then make your decision.

Cannonballer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
497 Posts
It is not really my style, but if I was ready for a gold wing, I think I would get the Vision instead.
It looks very futuristic, yet maintains some classic cruiser styling as well.

Overall a nice bike, imho.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,921 Posts
The small cargo space is a detraction. UYou can't excatly throw on a bigger set of bags and sell the old ones at the swap meet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,099 Posts
Breaker said:
Yep, it's a really nice ride Randy.

Now you've been bitten by the bug.

:wink:

And here we go with 6 more pages of "it's ugly", just like the other 3 or 4 threads on the board.

You either love it, or hate it. There's no middle ground.
HA! I didn't like them when I first saw them, but now that I'm starting to see them on the roads, they really are pretty nice bikes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,937 Posts
Re: Victory Vision

cannonballer said:
I also test rode the Vision yesterday at our local dealer in Murfreesboro. Like you I'd say WOW, except....... Luckily it was a very windy day here yesterday and just holding the Vision in the rode was a chore! All those body fairings were like putting a sail in the air. I also rode the Kingpin, much better under the windy conditions, but as badly as I hate to say it, I got off the bike thinking the metric was still the better quality bike. I have a windshield fairing on my C50 and rode under the same windy conditions most all day yesterday with no problems. My advise, go back and ride the Vision when the conditions aren't so good, and get it up to interstate travelling speed, and then make your decision.

Cannonballer
Sorry. No way can I agree with that statement.

I've driven both at freeway speeds, and in very windy conditions. The C50, (which I love), gets pushed ALL over the road. At the end of the day I grew tired of feeling beat-up by wind, air-flow from 18-wheelers, etc. The Vision, on the other hand, was designed with a wind-tunnel. Move that electric windshield up or down to find the sweet spot and you can cruise all day long.

Boxwrench said:
The small cargo space is a detraction. UYou can't excatly throw on a bigger set of bags and sell the old ones at the swap meet.
Have you packed the bags? They actually hold much more than you would think at first glance. Granted, they are not as large as some of the after-market bags, but they aren't exactly tiny either. Add a trunk, (That will hold two ff helmets), and you've got plenty of storage space.

As I've said before, hate it if you want. I don't really care. But if you are going to criticize the bike then it needs to be accurate. There are things to criticize on the Vision. Storage space and the ability to handle windy conditions at highway speed aren't two of them.

Oh and Polo. . . .I'm gonna get a personalized plate that reads "JETSONS", whatcha think? :wink: I think 'CHMCHM' was taken.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,174 Posts
I like it much better without the big ole luggage... I like it... I surprised myself with that when they first started advertising.. I like it alot..

Coolbreeze has one and loves it.. I am pretty sure a few more do.. yeah it is different certainly not a cruiser.. maybe that is why I like it.... but then I see the HD deluxe and remember my Petals...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,937 Posts
Hey Julie!

I'll take you for a ride on the Hurricane Ridge run. Shhh...don't tell Suzanne. :wink:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,174 Posts
Breaker said:
Hey Julie!

I'll take you for a ride on the Hurricane Ridge run. Shhh...don't tell Suzanne. :wink:
hey baby COOL.... I wont tell Rick either... :) hehehe
good to see ya hanging around !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,945 Posts
The bike is too ugly to ride. I shake my head every time I see one and say "Good Lord what was that designer thinking".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,626 Posts
This is funny. I test drove a Vision and a Vegas yesterday too!

We went to the dealer in Barre Ma (I think-I'll check with my friend).

The Vegas has a stage one kit on it with a 2:1 pipe. HOLY SH!T. It was the fastest cruiser that I've ever ridden. I'll have to find out what it dyno'd at because it was very impressive. It had silly painted tins on it but wow was it FUN.

The Vision-it is a great start for them. I like the looks FAR better in person but I thought the bike was really SLOW compared to the vegas. Of course it is much heavier but I just thought it was a "dog". The front suspension is VERY soft. It's a touring bike so I guess you have to expect that. I felt a 'bouncing' sensation the whole 25 miles that I road it. Get back on the Vegas!!!!

What is impressive is that the Vision is VERY well balanced. It feels lighter then the Vegas and slow maneuvers are VERY easy.

At speed the Vision likes to ride at around 3k rpm and it red lines at around 5.5k-6k. I hit the rev limiter 2x. It pulls hard at any rpm but there is NEVER a rush of torque or pull of your arms like the Vegas.

I think that the 'cokpit' has just a tad too much plastic to it. compared to a Goldwing's controls, the Vision's are a bit cheap feeling.

Back to the bike's road manners. When you are at speed and hit the twistys, the Vision is VERY easy to handle. This thing WANTS you lean....and lean hard! I just can't explain how the bike just dips right into a curve. You'd have to experience it to know what I mean.

Brakes. The brembo brakes on the Vegas are absolutely top notch. Again, one of the best brakes I've ever used on a bike period.

The ONLY way that you can tell the Vision is a heavy bike is when you are using the brakes. I usually use 2 fingers when braking. Not this time Francis.

You really need to use your whole paw to get the bike to stop safely. It is NOT because they are bad brakes. It's just that they designed the bike so well to deceive you in thinking that it is light. They just can't hide the weight with the brakes. OH, you'll stop. You just need to use a slightly better grip is all.

All and all Victorys are VERY nice bikes to ride. As far as the vegas goes-you may not like the looks but I will guarantee you that it will B!tch slap ANY HD on the road in the performance dept and is FAR more comfy then any anything HD has to offer. Well, aside from what they offer in their "touring" group.

Which is where the Vision comes into play. The bike is so comfy I will PROMISE you that you will find NOTHING that allows you to stretch and change positions more. I almost fell asleep!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,046 Posts
That brake issue is the same on the Connie I just bought. The bike is so nimble and light on it's feet that you don't realize when you are doing 50 mph. Come time to stop and you just don't realize your doing 50 and your stopping a 650 lb. bike. Grab a handful son, we need it. Thank goodness the back brake is real tight.
That bag storage is a big deterrent as well. The bike looks nicer in person but the bags LOOK big, they ought to BE big. Another bad thing about that Vision...... what would a guy like me do to something like that? Nothing. I couldn't deal with it. I'd have to rip apart a $15,000 bike to fond something to modify. :lol: :lol: :lol:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,174 Posts
Nice write up on the Vision in the April 08 Mc Consumer News...
I refuse to pay that much for a bike.. but I do like the different look fo the bike....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,937 Posts
Yeah, you have to get on those brakes. They are linked brakes, non ABS, which I haven't decided is a plus or a minus at this point. But they will stop you, and quick.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the weight issue, the handling and the brakes Toe Knee. The bike rides and handles like a much smaller bike. But with a dry weight of 850, and add the rider's weight, passenger's weight and packed bags and trunk. . .shoot - you're talking 1150 to 1200 pounds easy.

My experience with the Vision's acceleration has been different than yours, it's no Jackpot, but it has much more torque and 'giddyup' than what you're describing. It might be the stock exhaust vs. the Stage 1 Level 1, or the mapping.
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top