Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

Last weekend I took a trip to Pennsylvania from my home on Long Island NY. I stopped about half way on the way down and when I reached my daughter's house, I was fine. On the way home, I did not stop for anything and made the trip in 3 hrs. Only thing is, my butt was killing me. Not the skin but the muscles.

I am riding a 2007 C50T. am 6' 2" tall. Question, do you think It would help if I have a gel pad put into my stock saddle? I am strapped for cash at the moment and can not afford one of the complete new saddle sets that are available.

Thanks for any advise.

P.S. The DJ Drive was marvelous!

Rich H

·
Premium Member
2,777 Posts
I'd suggest the Home Boy Cut. Do a search on here, it seems pretty popular. I never tried it, I got lucky and was able to purchase a Mustang seat set.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
The quickest and least expensive remedy I can think of is a sheepskin cover. It can help a little until you can do a proper long term fix.
Initially I bought a couple of sheepskin wash mits from Wmart, took enough stiching out to open them flat and them sewed them together to make a pad. Later I bought a sheepskin off of @bay for $20 including shipping that was big enough to make 2 pads - one for me and one for Ms Bebop.
Once you get a proper saddle for your butt then the pad can be transfered over. It will be nice for the coming hot weather too.

Cheers!

·
Registered
8,398 Posts
OTG said:
I'd suggest the Home Boy Cut. Do a search on here, it seems pretty popular. I never tried it, I got lucky and was able to purchase a Mustang seat set.
I did this one and then did a 460 mile trip in one day with no problem. Makes the OEM seat bearable.

·
Premium Member
28,465 Posts
Duffy said:
OTG said:
I did this one and then did a 460 mile trip in one day with no problem. Makes the OEM seat bearable.
Yes! I'm 6' 1" and I had trouble with the OEM seat. Did the "Homeboy" seat mod and it makes a world of difference. Very simple and inexpensive to do also. It will make the OEM seat bearable until you have the $$ for a really good seat like a Corbin or Mustang.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
I had the Homeboy mod done on my seat, then did a 700 mile run... no problems at all.. later did a trip 1200 miles each way and it was a breeze....
best $0.. I ever didn't spend... :p

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
in tje mean time if you have a sewing machine.. buy a couple of WOOL car wash mits from walmart.. tear half the seam apart and then sew them together and cut in the shape of the seat.. you can use matteress sheet suspenders on either side to hold it on... or just set it loose (it wont move around)

Beleive me until you decide what to do it is a butt SAVER.... regular sewing machine can be used.. so beg the wife.... honest.. I made one years ago and used it for 2 years// and even now still throw it on for the added comfiness.. :)

·
Registered
697 Posts
I would recommend one of John's Kits: http://johnskits.com/

It will move your controls out about 3 and a half inches...which lets you scoot forward to the more padded part of the seat a little and still stretch your feet out some. I have had them for a few months and I am back in love with my bike again after seriously thinking of trading up to something with a longer wheelbase.

·
Premium Member
14,456 Posts
ghostflames said:
I.... after seriously thinking of trading up to something with a longer wheelbase.
Just for fun.... a wheel base comparison.....
RoadKing 63.5
VL800 65.4
SuperGlide 66.1
GoldWing 66.6
VTX 67.5

Although seating location and posture have more to do with comfort than wheelbase.

·
Registered
697 Posts
v0lusia said:
ghostflames said:
I.... after seriously thinking of trading up to something with a longer wheelbase.
Just for fun.... a wheel base comparison.....
RoadKing 63.5
VL800 65.4
SuperGlide 66.1
GoldWing 66.6
VTX 67.5

Although seating location and posture have more to do with comfort than wheelbase.
Very true...the Stratoliner was what I was looking at...it had both...wheelbase over 2 inches longer and a more comfy position...at least for me. But honestly it doesnt compare to the mine now with the floorboards moved :)

·
Registered
740 Posts
Ive been thinking about doing the homeboy mod the last few days, but have been unsuccessful in finding pictures of the installation process. the rusk's site is unavailable, and the threads that have pics have been removed because of the update. anyone have these pictures?

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
I'm 6'2", the homebody def helped, but not enough for me. I ended up getting an OEM gel seat and that helped a bunch. getting that plastic chunk out of your lower spine helps, but even with extra padding the shape of the seat just didn't work for me. I tend to slump when I'm riding, so my tailbone got beat to death. I would bet taking that seat down to the pan and putting some of that nasa foam (memory foam?) in there would rock....

·
Registered
2,352 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sent saddle to be rebuilt.

Hello gang.

Thank you for all the advise. I located American Soft Seats at http://www.americanasoftseats.com/ . Jerry answered my email and told me he could move me back 1 to 1 1/2 inches plus add the gel and memory foam. It sounds good so I sent my saddle to him today. I will let you know how it turns out.

Rich H

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
Hello gang.

Thank you for all the advise. I located American Soft Seats at AMSSS HOME PAGE . Jerry answered my email and told me he could move me back 1 to 1 1/2 inches plus add the gel and memory foam. It sounds good so I sent my saddle to him today. I will let you know how it turns out.

Rich H
So how did it turn out? It's been almost 5 years. LOL :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts