Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a rejetted 2002 Vol with stock pipes and an K&N air filter. Lately I've notced, perhaps a bit more than usual, that my turn signal is getting black from exhaust fumes. I'm assuming its soot and not burning, as the plastic is all intact. Two questions:

1. Is this relatively normal? If not, any ideas on the cause (and potential fix)?

2. Any tips on how to clean off the turn signal? I wanna make sure people behind me can see my intention to turn right.

Thanks...B

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
your running too rich.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Boxwrench said:
your running too rich.
Probably not too rich. A properly jetted carbed VOL will leave soot on the turn signal. Windex takes it off pretty well and a little wax on the turn signal after cleaning makes the next batch that much easier to remove.

Ride Safe,
Rex

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
glad my FI don't do that. One less thing to clean!

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Get some Mother's Chrome Polish. My Volusia did that. Not a problem. Just hit it a lick when you're cleaning the bike. :D

·
Registered
17,083 Posts
Mine too. I have to clean my right tail light and ride side of rear fender all the time. Not to mention it turns my lil Bass hangin from my right tail light black in about 30 days.
ppasel said:
Boxwrench said:
glad my FI don't do that. One less thing to clean!
My FI C50T did.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Same on my 2005 C50.

I was hoping that the Cruzers would solve the problem since they are so much shorter, but it still happens - maybe at a slower rate.

A little chrome polish, and the TS housing looks like new again. But I'm noticing that the clear lens is getting a little... "smoked".

Here's a new twist:

How many of us who experience the right-turn-signal-tarnish have saddle bags?

I'm thinking that my Extra-Jumbo Saddleman is causing a low-pressure area right behind it, where the turn signal sits.

·
Premium Member
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all. I have XJumbo Saddleman bags too. But they ain't comin' off. I'll just clean more.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Re: soot

freebird77 said:
Same here on the c50. But I dont know about using chrome polish on it, isnt it plastic?
Yes, and the chrome polish will ruin the chrome finish if you rub too much. Best way is as someone else mentioned clean it and then wax the hell out of it, then keep up on it. Makes keeping it clean easier.

·
Registered
7,112 Posts
Haven't noticed any soot build up but I have noticed when first started in the morning tiny black soot spots on the patio behind the pipes. Think its condensed water droplets collected in the exhaust. Goes away in about a minute.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I have the Cruzers, and I have the OEM leather bags. I have to clean mine fairly often because of soot. I kinda like the 'smoked' look on the lens, maybe I should swap the lenses every now and then, so they are both 'smoked'. heh.

·
Premium Member
11,858 Posts
i have auburn leather lone star bags, and my right rear turn signal is filthy! but it doesn't stay any cleaner when i run without the bags...the end of the top pipe extends past the bag anyway, so i don't believe it has any effect.

cheers!

-mistress k

1 - 17 of 17 Posts