Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi team:
New member. I own a 2010 C-50. I bought a tachometer from a Suzuki dealer and the wizard at the parts counter said that even though it was for a Volusia, it would work just fine. Guess what......he's not a wizard because it doesn't work. It registers about 1/2 what it should. When the engine is screamin, it shows about 2K. The instructions said to join two wires together and attach them to the + terminal of the right hand coil. I'm wondering if one should have been on each coil. Does the Volusia hit both coils on each stroke and the C-50 hit them alternately?
Any ideas?
WS

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
The Voluisa has one coil. The C50 has 2. therefore, it will read 1/2 rpm. get the right part for the right bike.

rv

·
Super Moderator
34,500 Posts
Rvcycleguy is right. You can probably rig it to work, but why bother? Take it back to the dealer and get the right one for your bike, it'll be plug and pray.

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
Rvcycleguy is right. You can probably rig it to work, but why bother? Take it back to the dealer and get the right one for your bike, it'll be plug and pray.
It's ''plug and pray'' now.... with the right one it'll be PLUG AND PLAY..... :biglaugh:

Reactions: rvcycleguy

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
The Voluisa has one coil. The C50 has 2. therefore, it will read 1/2 rpm. get the right part for the right bike.

rv

The Volusia, with it's single coil, fires both sparkplugs at the same time... one cylinder will be on at TDC compression and the other at some point in the exhaust stroke where the spark is wasted... also called a ''wasted spark ignition''. (as used on most single cylinder lawnmower type engines as well.)

The C50 has two coils so each cylinder fires at the appropriate time.

When you hook your dual fire tach to one coil that fires once every two revolutions of the crankshaft, you get half the rpm shown on the display.

There is a single fire adapter'' you can buy or you can make your own....

Buy....

http://www.baronscustom.com/catalog/display/243/

Make....

http://www.gadgetjq.com/single_fire_tach_adapter.gif

or buy a tach designed for a single fire system.....

·
Registered
972 Posts

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I remember running into a guy with a C50 (I had the Volusia at the time) who had just had the dealer install a tach on his bike. He commented that he was surprised that it idles so low at 500 RPM and had such good power for an engine that revved so low. I tried to explain to him about the difference between the electrical systems on the C50 and Volusia and that it was only reading half of the actual RPM. But he was convinced that it was reading correctly. After several attempts to explain that it wasn't I just walked away.

They're right, you can't fix stupid.

Reactions: goval

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Team:
Thanks for all the great feedback. To answer a couple of questions: I paid over $250.00 for it. It had been on their shelf for some time and they wouldn't take it back. They have lost my business forever.
Even though I could probably make the one suggested by "inagineer", I will buy the already done device because the cost of the parts is likely to be the same as the finished product.
Thanks to all for your good feedback.
Best regards
WS

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.