Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
9,800 miles
New to my bike - getting used to the Carb...
As I approach a stop and I shift down from 4th, through 3rd to 2nd, sometimes I notice the engine cutting out when I pull in the clutch to go into neutral, unless I keep the revs up slightly on the throttle?
Doesn't always happen, usually after I have had it open in 5th for a mile or two - is this normal?
Is it a sign of the carb' needing a flush?

·
Registered
8,295 Posts
when mine did this it was a vac leak. not enough vaccum at low rpm to keep the petcock open.
check your vac lines

Reactions: NinjoZuki

·
Super Moderator
24,086 Posts
welcome to the family first...can't offer any helpful advice other than to tell you to hang in there and someone will come along and hopefully be able to offer you some helpful advice to correct the issue.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Has the air box been altered by the previous owner?
Or extra holes drilled for more air?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,762 Posts
It's a 13 year old motorcycle without a lot of miles on it (roughly 700 per year) which would imply that it sat a lot. My first question is the factory airbox still being used under the seat, or did the previous owner delete the airbox for the k&n cone filter mod? Second, have you checked the vacuum lines from the engine to the airbox and to the carb? The age of the motorcycle makes it a candidate for cracked and brittle rubber hoses, especially with the use of ethanol blended gas.

If the air box is intact and the hoses check out ok, then it would be a good time to pull and inspect the carb. The screws used in the carb are JIS, not standard Phillips Head and you will strip them if you use the wrong screwdriver. Stumbling coming down to idle would indicate a problem with the pilot jet or needle as vacuum decreases.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts