1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Not uncommon during my daily commute that a driver behind me has a quick trigger on the gas pedal at intersections. Distracted driving is generally the issue. Just this morning in heavy fog conditions, my flashers on the entire trip and drivers seem as though im still invisible at intersections. Guy behind me just could not wait to get around me while I turned right and he powered his way around me on my left to cut me off from that lane....

·
Super Moderator
56,262 Posts
Sounds like your driving is problematic if it's not uncommon for people behind you to act that way. Just an observation. Don't get mad at me. :)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Maybe

maybe they didn't see him? Blind driver?

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Sounds like your driving is problematic if it's not uncommon for people behind you to act that way. Just an observation. Don't get mad at me. :)
No, Im in the far left lane on the freeway going faster than posted speed. Its the Texas drivers mentality that suggests know one should be in fornt of them....I use turn signals, hand/arm signals, friendly gestures and not so friendly gestures to communicate my intentions. Only way to stay alive. I've put 60k miles on my C50c in less than 5 years of daily commute. I use HOV lanes and Express Lanes where possible. Its the off ramps, turn lanes, intersections and merge lanes that drivers won't give an inch for a bike. I've been known to throw the kickstand down and get off the bike to have a one to one converstion with a driver who has been more than intimidating. I ride using my entire lane. Sometimes is far left in my lane or far right in my lane or middle or combinaiton of all depending on the specific situations and its constantly changing by the second. Its either me or them and I'd rather it be them. Its a mini war out there daily. You better have your mind right before getting on the bike in commuter traffic or you will be hurt eventually. I prefer to ride and have options not to ride. Its fun and enjoyable most of the time. But, then there is that idiot who just wants to make trouble, selfish, self absorbded and is distracted.

Thanks for asking.

rv

·
Super Moderator
56,262 Posts
Not a problem. You said it wasn't uncommon and I was just trying to help. I don't want to see anything happen to you :)

·
Super Moderator
19,665 Posts
I work a shift that luckily avoids commuters...4 -12 a.m....when i do happen to unfortunately have to ride in the company of commuters, my riding radar goes up 10 fold and leaves me thankful I don't have to be subjected to it on a daily riding basis. It also makes me wonder how many accidents there are where mc riders are legally allowed to ride between the cars...can't remember the term used for such riding. Maybe lane splitting?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=a6ssYxSklIY

·
Administrator
29,580 Posts
You'd be amazed. I don't think I've ever heard of a lane splitting fatality. This guy is on a very small bike and I think it's foreign, where this is quite legal, also notice motorists aren't shocked... Yes, it is normal for the riders to do this. A great display of lane discipline by motorists, along with a very skilled rider

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Houston drivers have rules of their own. You either learn them and drive accordingly or find yourself in trouble. I learned to drive in Houston and my friends still complain that I am really aggressive when they ride in a car with me. I'm not ready to ride a bike in Houston yet but when I do, at least I know to be on the lookout 100% of the time and everyone is looking to cut me off and not let me in while going 10-20mph over the posted speeds.

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
You have to watch your back when in situations like this, don't stop abruptly if possible and keep an eye on your mirrors. You can't avoid everything but you have to assume people don't see you and will cut you off at any opportunity!

·
Registered
686 Posts
No, Im in the far left lane on the freeway going faster than posted speed. Its the Texas drivers mentality that suggests know one should be in fornt of them....
rv
Just because you go "faster than the posted speed" does not mean you get to impede faster traffic. I'm probably one of those people who will gladly pi$$ you off. You don't own the lane, and I'll be happy to intimidate you, by tailgating, high beams, my finger, and then I can use my imagination, coffee once I get around you, etc. Don't screw with people during rush hour. The volusia is too small of a bike. I know, I have one, and no way I'd commute on it.

Sorry, the truth hurts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts