Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
16,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Discovered Doane's Falls today while spending my 30th anniversary with my lovely bride. Very cool, shortish walk that lets you see 3 different falls.

Kickstands up at 10:00am from the Pride station right at exit 7 of the Mass Pike. That'll get us to the falls around 11:30, spend an hour at the falls then lunch at 1:00 at Herricks tavern in Athol, MA

After lunch we'll do upper Quabbin, coming down 32a with a stop at Janine's around 3:00 for an ice cream, at which point we can split up or you can follow us back to Ludlow. We'll be passing by the Pike in Palmer for anyone that wants to jump on there. Otherwise, back in Ludlow around 4:15-4:30.

Full, fun filled day.... who's in?

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We decided on going to the balloon fest in Albuquerque, New Mexico instead. Booked our flights, and hotel this past weekend and surprised her with it this morning.

Something we've always read about and wanted to do.

·
Super Moderator
4,310 Posts
Happy Anniversary El Capitan!!!! Love me some Kirkland AFB....While there, if you have time, run the Tram up to San Dia's Mountains...Beautiful views and a Bar and Grille at the Top....Enjoy your Southwest Destiny!!!

·
Registered
911 Posts
New Mexico is one of our favorites, should be a great trip.
Can't make this Sunday either. Doane's falls is an amazing place.
Have fun & Happy Anniversary!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Next Thursday, I leave for 38 states, including Mass. I have family buried in the town under the Quabbin. But it will be close to July the 10 before we ride past on our way to visit an lifelong friend. As a kid, our family would make the trek to honor their roots. I'll simply have a decent shot of a great single malt whisky that evening to celebrate all my ancestors buried from Maine to Mass.

It is a beautiful area and I look forward to riding through. I'm actually staying at the Red Roof in South Deerfield that night, but we are on a mission from [email protected] on this trip. 30 days, 38 states, and my dear lifelong friend lives in Leverett.

Thanks for the memory. I'll miss the white mountain gathering as well next week, but the most upsetting is the Wescaleros are having a rally out here and I'll be back there! I'm not sure if it is bad timing on their part or mine. But blessed be all my Volusia and C50 friends.

·
Super Moderator
8,795 Posts
Gee, Counter Steer, any chance your schedule will have you near Lake George, New York, between the 9th and 13th of July??

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Gee, Counter Steer, any chance your schedule will have you near Lake George, New York, between the 9th and 13th of July??

Headed through The Lake George area on July 6th barring any breakdowns or issues at the border. Maureen lost her passport, so we are hopiing border patrol will let us back in with enhanced licenses. I have a great friend in Glen Falls, just south of you. But our visit there will be short. After all, this is a mission from.....well its a grand tour I always wanted to make and this is it.

·
Premium Member
14,395 Posts
I never took our Quabbin rides to Doane's Falls???? It is a beautiful area! The road in to the top (Chestnut Hill/Athol RD) of the falls was always pretty rough. At the bottom of stream that forms the falls (Doane's Hill RD) is a picnic area with toilets. There is also a Frisbee golf course near there. for another time.

MAN I MISS THAT AREA!!!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Jay, Happy 30th Anniversary.

We have something going on in the morning, but could meet you for lunch at Herrick's tavern in Athol, MA around 1:30?

Vicky is off that day, we have both not seen the Doanes Falls in Royalston, MA, it looks like a great place to visit.

·
Administrator
16,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We might postpone this for a week. I think the kids have something planned for us this weekend.

·
Super Moderator
8,795 Posts
Headed through The Lake George area on July 6th barring any breakdowns or issues at the border. Maureen lost her passport, so we are hopiing border patrol will let us back in with enhanced licenses. I have a great friend in Glen Falls, just south of you. But our visit there will be short. After all, this is a mission from.....well its a grand tour I always wanted to make and this is it.
Awww, SO close! BearBait and I are gonna be in Lake George that week for the Yankee Rally.

We live about 2 hours southwest of the LG area.

Sounds like a remember-it-all-your-life trip, Counter Steer. Enjoy every moment of it!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Awww, SO close! BearBait and I are gonna be in Lake George that week for the Yankee Rally.

We live about 2 hours southwest of the LG area.

Sounds like a remember-it-all-your-life trip, Counter Steer. Enjoy every moment of it!

My original plan was very laid back, but after we planned our dates, my nephew announced he was getting married on the Maine coast on the 7th. Many of my family and my cousins will be there. That is why the rush to that point. Had I known about the wedding I would have left a week earlier. It is pretty easy going for us after that for the next 3 weeks. We are hitting all but the very Southeastern states. I did those in 1977. Also, we have no relatives or friends offering a free night or two in those states. South Dakota, NY, Maine, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Illinois, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas we are showing up at friends and family, even if they don't want us. If we clip the corner of California on the way home, it will be 39 states. But by the time we hit Utah, we just might be ready to head for home and head straight up through Nevada, Oregon, and Washington, skipping the coast. Maureen has never been on the road on a bike for 4 weeks. It has been a while since for me as well, 42 years. But we've done several 10-15 day trips, so I'm hopeful everything will work out.

If any of you can help with the weather, we'd appreciate it a lot!

Added: I initially posted because I had fond memories as a child visiting this area. My trip became a separate subject. I don’t like topic thieves, so I apologize.

·
Registered
911 Posts
We might postpone this for a week. I think the kids have something planned for us this weekend.
That'd be a win-win. The reason I'm sitting in front of this computer today is because my bike is in the shop getting (another) new front tire. I've been a fan of the Kendas, but my last two fronts have worn out both before the rears and within the first two years. I have wear bars showing on the front tire already and I just replaced both tires after OctoVRfest 2017. Might be all the dirt roads my bike likes to find!
I'm done with the cheapest tires. I ordered a Michelin Commander II for the front. I'll replace the rear with the same once it's time comes.

Tire safety is very important to me. Don't know what I've been thinking until now but, yeah, I guess I've been getting what I paid for :nono:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts