Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the ignition switch failure during my great riding in Florida made me start doubting the reliability of the stock ignition switch. So I figured that I would ask those with much more experience what would be a good aftermarket replacement for the switch. While I am at it, maybe a good suggestion for a set of mini apes while we are discussing upgrades. Thanks

·
Registered
432 Posts
After the ignition switch failure during my great riding in Florida made me start doubting the reliability of the stock ignition switch. So I figured that I would ask those with much more experience what would be a good aftermarket replacement for the switch. While I am at it, maybe a good suggestion for a set of mini apes while we are discussing upgrades. Thanks
Are you running a light bar?

·
Administrator
52,306 Posts
Most folks just replace the switch with a new unit, though, some have successfully repaired the switch.
You need to run accessories such as the lightbar off the battery, instead of through the ignition switch.
Some folks even run their headlight off the battery, which takes a big load off the ignition switch.

Another tip: I use an aftermarket key, all brass, no plastic, with a much larger head than the factory key.
That metal key bleeds off a lot of heat into the breeze, and the switch runs a bit cooler.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sounds like a good way to go. I have been thinking about putting the light bar on a relay to reduce the load, but I didn't even consider doing the same to the headlight. I will look into doing that. Also, I already run with an aftermarket key because I am just too darned cheap to pay for a replacement boulevard key! lol

·
Registered
432 Posts
I was and have been since I bought the bike back in 2005. I switched to 4411 bulbs a couple of years after I bought the bike. This was the first time something like this has happened.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
9 years is pretty good, personally I wouldn't change anything and just replace the switch. After all, if you keep it even 5 more years you've done well.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gossman, I agree whole heartedly with you. However, up until I had that 2 hour ride in Florida, all of my riding had been only about an hour at a time. I would like to ride Serenity down to Lakeland instead of hauling her down in my truck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts