Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was riding tonight going home from work, going 65ish everything was going right. Then all of a sudden I lost power, the speedometer panel lost all power. I came to a stop and turned the bike off. Then turned the key. No power. Trailered it home and found the battery registered fine, but the 30 amp fuse near the left side in front of the battery was blown. I have only changed the oil and filter in the last month and then had the bike inspected yesterday. Any clues? I hate to just put another 30 amp fuse in. Something had to have caused the blown fuse. Would hate to be 100 miles from home on the side of the road.

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
WITH THE KEY OFF - The 30 amp main fuse allows power from the alternator to charge the Battery AND power to the rectifier/regulator.

It also supplies power to the ignition switch and the 10 amp fuel fuse so if your fuel fuse is ok you know that it is not any further into the circuit than that.

WITH THE KEY ON.... power is also supplied to the 15 amp ignition fuse, the turn signal fuse and the options fuse for the connector in the headlite bucket and the starter button. If those fuses are ok then it could be between the ignition switch and the fuses as well.

The engine shut off switch is powered through the ecm which gets its power from the ignition fuse which also powers the several sensors which talk to the ecm.

Since your lower amperage fuses should blow if there is a problem in the individual circuits, my bet would be that it is closer to the battery than the fuses.

Check the wires from the battery to the ignition switch and the fuses and the wiring from the ignition switch TO the fuses.

Check the wires to the regulator rectifier AND it could also be a problem with the regulator/rectifier or the stator.

There might be some other details since my wiring diagram is for an '06 and your bike is an '09 but these basics should be very similar.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I finally had to take it in. I couldn't find the wire causing the problem. It ended up being the factory wire to the headlights inside the headlight area. I'm back to riding now. Thank you for all the help.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Having the same problem. Was 400 miles from home and got left stranded in the highway for 4 hours. No, I couldn't push it off due to cement walls. Anyway, sometimes it will start right up and run....as when I dropped it off a rented trailer at the shop (already spent $240.00 on rented trailer and truck). Worked fine there. Drove it 20 miles home. Next time I cranked it up it blew again. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. Did your shop say it was a short? Was it visible? Did they have to tear it down to fix or just insulate with electrical tape. How much did it cost. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Could just be a loose wire that has to tap the housing to blow the fuse, if it is in the same place. An open positive that touches metal and boom. I hate chasing down electrical problems and chased wires on my c50 many times. Check connections and anything that could tap metal when hitting a bump or some other sudden movement that is random.

·
Registered
21,043 Posts
You do realize that you're responding to a 5 year old thread, right?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts