Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not have highway bars on my bike. I like the leaner look, although I am sure I will regret not having them if I ever drop the bike. My dilemma with this on longer rides is the lack of positions in which to place my feet. There are only so many positions you can put your feet in on the floorboards, especially when you have feet the size of my gunboats. I had a thought the other day while at the Home Depot store and I thought I would give it a shot. It turned out to work really well and gives me a streched out position for my legs while riding that I think would be similar to having highway pegs on crash bars.

What I used is the bar portion of a gate latch set. Here is a few pictures of the install.

First you must remove the floor boards from both sides and this involves removing the shift linkage and the rear brake linkage.

Then you need to remove the rubber inserts and figure out the correct position for the bars.

I used 1/4x1" flat Phillips head screws and counter sunk them into the top surface of the boards.
Once they are mounted, reassemble the rubber foot pads and reattach the boards and the linkage you removed in the reverse order.

And voila! New streched out riding position, grand total is under $10 and about 1 1/2 hours taking time and drinking a couple of beers for proper effect.

·
Premium Member
20,380 Posts
Very creative!

However, I would say you will regret it WHEN you drop the bike not IF you drop the bike. So many come to this site saying how they hate the look of highway bars and then a little while later they come on looking for new turn signals and such because of a drop. I hope it doesn't happen to you.

The mod you did is definitely creative and does what you want, though. Good job!

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
cmsw41 said:
dont think i would want to lay the bike to far in a turn with them on
The trailing edge of the boards will hit before the extensions. I think it's a great idea!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I dont like highway bars either.I like your idea.I only ride solo and you have given me an idea about using my rear footpegs in this application.
If the pegs would be apt to drag,they would fold up.I will have to study it a bit.
Thanks

·
Registered
534 Posts
Great idea....a guy could patent that and make a killing :idea:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont think that they will ever hit the ground. I was curious about that and after I got them mounted I had a couple of my neighbors help me lay the bike over to see if they would hit in the driveway. The way they are built they rise above the board and when we layed the bike over, the board hit and started to fold, but I still had about 1/2" inch clearance on the peg. Maybe in a situation where I am making a hard left on a really crowned road, but I think it would have to be a pretty unique situation.
Thanks for the feedback on this, I am pretty happy with them.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
There are some companies that make those already.. for a few years now... I had a set sent to me back in 04.. :) great idea... but there are at least 2 companies making them..

The highway bars are not there just for your feet... their purpose is aka crash bars.. to protect the engine and tank and even your legs in case you go down..... I speaketh from experience will never ever ride a bike without them...

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Those gate latches aren't very long. Can you imagine what would happen if your foot slipped?

Be very careful

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Different... Not really my thing, but hey if it works for you. I gotta wonder though.. Why would you go through the trouble of removing the boards, the linkage, etc.. when the spot that you were working on is very easily accessible from the top of the bike with them still mounted??

·
Premium Member
12,258 Posts
Umple Z said:
I gotta wonder though.. Why would you go through the trouble of removing the boards, the linkage, etc.. when the spot that you were working on is very easily accessible from the top of the bike with them still mounted??
Now what would have been the fun in that. :p :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't like power tools next to my paint :lol:
Seriously though, I thought before I started that it was going to be a little more involved than it ended up. And I marked and drilled from the bottom of the board instead of eyeballing it from the top, which was easier for me and would have been tough with the board on without using a 90 degree drill motor. If I were to do it again, I would probably not remove the boards and I got to go out and buy another tool (the shallow angle drill motor) so live and learn and buy more toys, that my mantra.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I ADDED THESE TO MY BIKE AND ITS A REAL GOOD IDEA. SERVES ITS PURPOSE VERY GOOD. GOOD THINKING. I DIDNT REMOVE THE FLOOR BOARDS. I DRILLED FROM THE BOTTOM UP USING THE FLOOR JACK. WENT VERY SMOOTH.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts