Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leaving first thing tomorrow (Aug. 1st) morning, direction South Dakota. Doesn't look like any rain in the forecast the whole way there, but it's going to be a long, HOT ride. Looks like a 4,000+ mile ride when it's all said and done.
:wayhappy:

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Good luck, give me a call if you need anything or let's meet up somtime next week.

Because of hot/dry I have decided not to camp and have a room at Camp Rapid in Rapid City.

I'm going out until Monday the 6th and am going to head back Friday the 10th.

Word of advice, hydrate hydrate hydrate, high temp on Monday to be 99 degrees.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Air4ceOne, have a safe trip. You;ll have a wonderful time. The rides in the area are amazing. Be sure to hook up with 472viper. Russ is a great guy.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
Trailering the bike? Just kidding. Have a Great Time!!!!!

Be safe!

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Day 1: Sucked. Woke up at 5, and it was raining. Luckily the rain stopped just a little while later, and I left at 0730. Making good time and traffic was good as well. Got into North Carolina and was enjoying the mountains. Then all the sudden my handlebars begin to shake. Tell tell sign of a flat, so I pulled over. Sure enough, my front tire was almost flat. This was on the other side of Hendersonville. I have roadside assistance on my bike policy, so I called them. I had no idea what the last exit was, so it took over 30 minutes for them to get a general idea of where I was at. They called the towtruck and a local dealer to make sure they had the size tire that I needed. An hour later, the truck shows up and takes the bike back 5 miles in the direction I came from. Luckily the service department wasn't busy and got it in. Set me back about 3 hours total. Was still planning on making it to Nashville. That is, until I got to Knoxville and it started storming. I figured, screw it, and stopped for the night. Hopefully tomorrow is a better day! Total miles traveled today: only 385. Tomorrow's destination: St. Louis.

·
Premium Member
11,782 Posts
Day 1: Sucked. Woke up at 5, and it was raining. Luckily the rain stopped just a little while later, and I left at 0730. Making good time and traffic was good as well. Got into North Carolina and was enjoying the mountains. Then all the sudden my handlebars begin to shake. Tell tell sign of a flat, so I pulled over. Sure enough, my front tire was almost flat. This was on the other side of Hendersonville. I have roadside assistance on my bike policy, so I called them. I had no idea what the last exit was, so it took over 30 minutes for them to get a general idea of where I was at. They called the towtruck and a local dealer to make sure they had the size tire that I needed. An hour later, the truck shows up and takes the bike back 5 miles in the direction I came from. Luckily the service department wasn't busy and got it in. Set me back about 3 hours total. Was still planning on making it to Nashville. That is, until I got to Knoxville and it started storming. I figured, screw it, and stopped for the night. Hopefully tomorrow is a better day! Total miles traveled today: only 385. Tomorrow's destination: St. Louis.

This was far from a service station. I know the feeling.:shades:

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
That sucked, but if I were you I wouldn't push myself too hard. Slow down and enjoy the journey. You'll get there when you get there.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I sure hope your luck turns around and the rest of the trip is more enjoyable.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Day 2: Much better than yesterday with just a couple minor issues. I wanted to be on the road by 7, but the snooze button kept getting hit. Finally got on the road at 0720. Traffic was great again, but the mountain fog in TN is actually thicker than pea soup. Finally got out of that. The mountains of TN are so nice. Changed timezones somewhere between Knoxville and Nashville. Am now in CST. I guess I better remember that when I set the alarm clock tonight. Crossed into Kentucky. There was no Welcome to Kentucky sign. I guess people aren't welcome in Kentucky. Went from the mountains to no mountains but still very nice scenery in Kentucky. Lots of nice rivers and lakes along the way. I noticed while driving that my air horn wasn't working anymore. Right before I crossed into Illinois I stopped for gas. Noticed there was a piece broke off on the top that allowed the horn body to slide down about a half inch. That screwed up the air going through the tube. No problem. Slide it back up into position and slapped a tie strap on it. Works as good as new. I left the gas station and was heading back to the interstate when this pretty little, orange thing flew passed my leg. It was the lense cover from my right, front turn signal. This was at a really busy intersection. I drove up a little and turned around and came back to where I lost it. No sign of it. Probably in a million pieces by the time I got back to it. Oh well. Still better than a flat tire. Crossed into Illinois. Southern Illinois is pretty boring. Just lots of trees. My plan today was to make it to St. Louis. As I was riding on I64, the clouds started forming and getting darker. At that point, I was hoping the posted speed limit signs were just suggested speeds. It started raining, so I stopped for the night in Shiloh, IL. I'm only 20 miles from St. Louis, so I'll still claim victory for today. Got yesterday's lost time made up. Called the dealer in Rapid City and ordered a new lens cover. Total miles traveled today: 466. Tomorrow's destination: Lincoln, NE.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
Can't wait to hear this kind of detail when you get to Sturgis. This is the closest thing to a novel that I read for years.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Day 2: Much better than yesterday with just a couple minor issues. I wanted to be on the road by 7, but the snooze button kept getting hit. Finally got on the road at 0720. Traffic was great again, but the mountain fog in TN is actually thicker than pea soup. Finally got out of that. The mountains of TN are so nice. Changed timezones somewhere between Knoxville and Nashville. Am now in CST. I guess I better remember that when I set the alarm clock tonight. Crossed into Kentucky. There was no Welcome to Kentucky sign. I guess people aren't welcome in Kentucky. Went from the mountains to no mountains but still very nice scenery in Kentucky. Lots of nice rivers and lakes along the way. I noticed while driving that my air horn wasn't working anymore. Right before I crossed into Illinois I stopped for gas. Noticed there was a piece broke off on the top that allowed the horn body to slide down about a half inch. That screwed up the air going through the tube. No problem. Slide it back up into position and slapped a tie strap on it. Works as good as new. I left the gas station and was heading back to the interstate when this pretty little, orange thing flew passed my leg. It was the lense cover from my right, front turn signal. This was at a really busy intersection. I drove up a little and turned around and came back to where I lost it. No sign of it. Probably in a million pieces by the time I got back to it. Oh well. Still better than a flat tire. Crossed into Illinois. Southern Illinois is pretty boring. Just lots of trees. My plan today was to make it to St. Louis. As I was riding on I64, the clouds started forming and getting darker. At that point, I was hoping the posted speed limit signs were just suggested speeds. It started raining, so I stopped for the night in Shiloh, IL. I'm only 20 miles from St. Louis, so I'll still claim victory for today. Got yesterday's lost time made up. Called the dealer in Rapid City and ordered a new lens cover. Total miles traveled today: 466. Tomorrow's destination: Lincoln, NE.
Glad your getting some travling done, in fact you passed right by me if you travled I-40 west though Nashville. I was probly at work at the airport. I'm surpriced that you did not stop at Scott AFB right outside of St. Louis(east side) probly near where you stoped.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Day 3: Great ride today. Best day so far. No flats, no parts flying off, etc. Got on the road at 0700. Passed St Louis and saw the arch. It's right beside the interstate. It was pretty impressive for a big hunk of metal. Rush hour traffic isn't too bad when the city has the infrastructure in place and people actually know how to drive. Like Kentucky, there's no Welcome To Missouri sign. Hmmpphhh. Missouri is a really nice state to ride through. It takes a long time to get through it though. Then into Iowa for just a little while and now in Lincoln, Nebraska where I'm stopped for the day. No rain today, and it's really hot. Got behind one jackwad in Missouri. He was in the left lane passing someone. He finally made it around them and started to move into the right lane, so I started coming up on him to pass him. I guess he thought I shouldn't have done that so he came back over into the left lane and tapped his brakes. So I passed him on the right side. His hands and mouth were going so I gave him the German "you're crazy" signal of waving your hand from left to right in front of your face. After I passed him he moved into the right lane. Other than that, it was a great day today. Lots more bikes on the road today. The further west you go, the farther apart the gas stations are. If you're ever out this way on your bike, don't assume you can make it to the next gas station. Stop when you can and keep your tank full. Tomorrow and the next day will be shorter riding days. Total miles traveled today: 473. Total miles traveled so far: 1,325. Tomorrow's destination: North Platte, NE.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Great journal,keep'em coming. I wish you the best conditions on your ride.....wish I were there with ya!

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Glad today was better.

Lincoln to Hot Springs is gonna be a long 'ole boring ride.

Plan your gas stops accordingly, once you've hit 100 miles, don't pass up a gas opportunity.

Hope to meet up with you next week.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts