Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having cut my motorcycle teeth some 30+ years ago, it wasn't until I was nearly 20 that I began hearing of a place in South Dakota called Sturgis. Over the years tales of incredible scenery, wild parties, motorcycle races and hot women became a conglomerated mental image that was far from realistic. What I found there instead was rather surprising.

I originally planned to post the entire story. After finishing it I realized it would take up too much VR server space. I decided to keep it on my own server then added links to photographs.

Click here to read how this rider took a journey to change.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Happy to hear you enjoyed the story LittleMule. I had been told so many things about Sturgis over the years. Some bad and some good. Because of this I went there not sure what to expect. What I found instead was far from what anyone had ever told me. Sure we partied and raised some hell but to me it was far more than that. Now I fully understand why Sturgis and the Black Hills of South Dakota is called the Mecca of Motorcycling.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your welcome Jay. I was hoping that every reader could experience the sights, sounds and feelings of this adventure through these words. If not all of it then maybe just a small portion of it. I am happy to hear you enjoyed it!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
The trip to Sturgis was long anticipated and worth every minute of it. Even through the rain, mud and wind I wanted to stay longer. It is more than a motorcycle rally. It is more than the parties. It is more than the gambling, the food and the camaraderie. It is more than the laughter and visceral excitement. It is more than the scenery and national monuments. It is a spiritual experience that defies description. If you have witnessed this then you know what I mean. I don't know how to describe it. The best way to fully understand is to experience it for yourself. What more can I say?

You made Sturgis alive for me. You made me feel it, taste it and smell it.
I feel the warmth of the locals and friends you met along the way. I understand, the spiritual experience Sturgis radiates is unique to each and every rider, and the depth of your inner being was willing to accept both the experience and the changes it would being to your life.

This is a fantastic read!

It truly deserves to be published.

If ever an article had literary merit, this one does.

Thank you for sharing this with us!

Ron

·
Premium Member
5,046 Posts
You posted this some time ago and I am not one for reading things all the way through. I just got around to finish reading it this morning.Lat time I looked at all the pictures.
"I, somehow or somewhere, had been changed. I am glad it happened and will just leave it at that. "
That sentence there sums it all up.Isn't that why you went? Our trip to Laconia wasn't as eventful or full of experiences but it was an adventure that will stay with me a lifetime.
That'a a great summary of the tribulations one will face along the road and the good times that can be had. While it's happening it doesn't seem to be as spectacular as when you are sitting there at home, collecting the mail, and thinking.......WOW....I made it.
Only a few people from each little spot in America make this journey. Will I ever do it? I don't know. I'll see when the kids are older. I tip my helmet to any and all that do it on a bike.

·
Registered
355 Posts
simply amazing. This was fantastic Hank.

Someday soon I want to make this trek, until then I stand in awe and thanks for sharing this story!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your'e welcome Bench. I hope you can make it someday. Something to think about -a VR and VOL group ride to Sturgis. Wouldn't it be cool to have a group 100+ strong in attendance? Picture this. East coast riders meeting up with Mid-west riders, Mid-west riders meeting up with Southern riders and more join in as the procession heads west. That would be soooooo cool. There are enough members to make one helluva showing!

·
Registered
10,709 Posts
Hank said:
Your'e welcome Bench. I hope you can make it someday. Something to think about -a VR and VOL group ride to Sturgis. Wouldn't it be cool to have a group 100+ strong in attendance? Picture this. East coast riders meeting up with Mid-west riders, Mid-west riders meeting up with Southern riders and more join in as the procession heads west. That would be soooooo cool. There are enough members to make one helluva showing!
Hank...I like that Idea! Now we just need to organize!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts