Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Study about women and motorcycles says those who ride are "extremely satisfied" with

A Harley-Davidson-sponsored study about women and motorcycles says those who ride are considerably happier, more confident and more fulfilled than those who do not.

BY CHARLES FLEMING
December 27, 2013, 8:03 a.m.
Freud asked, "What does woman want?"

Harley-Davidson has the answer. She wants a motorcycle -- or should.

That is the result of a study of female motorcycle riders and non-riders, commissioned by the Wisconsin-based bike manufacturer.

Female riders were twice as likely as their non-riding counterparts to feel "confident." They were twice as likely, too, to feel "extremely satisfied" with their appearance.

More than half of those riders said the two-wheeled experience made them feel "free" and "independent." And while they were marginally less inclined to say they "usually feel good" about their senses of humor and intelligence, they were almost twice as likely to say they "usually feel good" about their sex appeal.

Harley-Davidson's director of women's outreach marketing, Claudia Garber, is one of those female riders. She took up the sport six years ago with the purchase of a Harley Nightster and moved on to a Fatboy.

"It's about freedom," the married mother of two says. "When you’re doing things you want to do, for yourself, and you feel confident, it goes into every aspect of your life, including how you feel about yourself. You feel more comfortable in your skin."

More and more women are, in fact, riding. A 2012 study by the Motorcycle Industry Council found that women accounted for 12% of U.S. motorcyclists -- up from 10.5% in 2009.

Veteran rider and motorcycle journalist Susanna Schick found the results of the new study consistent with her own experience.

"I ride because I need the freedom," she said. "When I drive my car, I feel like a caged wild animal, trapped and forced to live within everyone else's limits."

The study, in which 1,013 riders and 1,016 non-riders were interviewed by the market research company Kelton Global, seems to bear that out. The results say female riders are happier in their careers, happier in their friendships, happier with their home lives, and twice as likely to be "extremely satisfied" with their sex lives.

Uh, maybe, said Schick.

"Being a woman in a man's sport means I meet loads of men who tell me how much they dig chicks who ride," she said. "Then they go home to their girlfriend or wife who doesn't -- and [who] eventually talks them out of riding altogether. So there's a real disconnect between the compliments I get and the reality. Having professional racers half my age flirt with me feeds my ego, but not my soul."

Whatever their experience, the rise in women riders is working for Harley. The company is selling more motorcycles to women than all their competitors combined, says the company's Garber.

Reactions: Two Red Ryders

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Thought provoking. Never really gave these insights any thought, but certainly, I feel free from societal constraints when riding. I guess that translates into feeling better about "me" on the whole. :wayhappy:

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
That explains why, in my riding club, we have one guy with a Harley and about six women! :biglaugh:

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

So my follow-up question to you is: How do you feel about riding with equal numbers or maybe even more women then men in the pack? I'm sure it bothers some guys, but it appears that since you ride with them, you are OK with it? How about your buddies? Just curious what the guys think.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
And I always thought it was the built in vibration of the bike that women appreciated....lol

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like riding with women they're usually much more safety oriented and cautious riders than men and they are more enjoyable to look at then men.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My fiance is about to start riding, though not a Harley. I bought her a 1986 Rebel 450 due to her short stature, 5'-0". It is all original and will be on the road in spring. She loves riding on the bike of my Volusia or LTD700 as it is now, but this will give her a tad more freedom when we're out cruising.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Love the study's results, but it was commissioned by Harley..... so much for impartiality...

·
Super Moderator
28,293 Posts
So my follow-up question to you is: How do you feel about riding with equal numbers or maybe even more women then men in the pack? I'm sure it bothers some guys, but it appears that since you ride with them, you are OK with it? How about your buddies? Just curious what the guys think.
I love the ladies I ride with, we're all like family, and the other guys in my group are the same way. Realistically there is no reason why a woman can't be just as good of a rider as a man, so I see no reason why sex should have any bearing on the matter.

Hopefully that answer makes sense. The idea of having a problem with riding next to a woman is so alien to me that I'm actually struggling a bit to articulate why it doesn't bother me. I guess I would need someone to tell me why I should have a problem with it.

I like riding with women they're usually much more safety oriented and cautious riders than men...
You haven't ridden with the girls I ride with! :biglaugh: :blackeye:

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
The results say female riders are happier in their careers, happier in their friendships, happier with their home lives, and twice as likely to be "extremely satisfied" with their sex lives.
All the women I've ridden have been "extremely satisfied".

This study is interesting. I can't help but notice the bias. Two or three years ago I remember hearing how great pomegranates were... the study was funded by Pom... something.
The point is its a business that just backed itself up with a study that it funded.

Harley does a study that says Harleys are great?
Just playing Devil's advocate.

Reactions: Mr. Efficiency

·
Registered
431 Posts
Holy coincidence!!!

My fiance is about to start riding, though not a Harley. I bought her a 1986 Rebel 450 due to her short stature, 5'-0". It is all original and will be on the road in spring. She loves riding on the bike of my Volusia or LTD700 as it is now, but this will give her a tad more freedom when we're out cruising.
This is sooooo weird!!!! My first bike was an LTD700, I now have a c50 and I also bought my fiance a Rebel 450 for the same reason and she also will start riding in the spring!!! btw, soooo miss my LTD700!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
@ Whiskey

"I love the ladies I ride with, we're all like family, and the other guys in my group are the same way. Realistically there is no reason why a woman can't be just as good of a rider as a man, so I see no reason why sex should have any bearing on the matter.

Hopefully that answer makes sense. The idea of having a problem with riding next to a woman is so alien to me that I'm actually struggling a bit to articulate why it doesn't bother me. I guess I would need someone to tell me why I should have a problem with it."

Whiskey, That's great! I really don't ride with guys much, as my riding group consists of the girlz. Was really just curious about views from the other side. :wayhappy:

·
Registered
581 Posts
As a single man, I've considered insisting my next partner ride and have her own bike. I thought that might be just a tad shallow but maybe I'm onto something. Yeah, her own bike, her own income, and for good measure play at least one musical instrument or have a passable singing voice. Cooking optional, looks preferred but attitude is more important than anything. Craigslist here I come.

·
Super Moderator
28,293 Posts
As a single man, I've considered insisting my next partner ride and have her own bike. I thought that might be just a tad shallow but maybe I'm onto something. Yeah, her own bike, her own income, and for good measure play at least one musical instrument or have a passable singing voice. Cooking optional, looks preferred but attitude is more important than anything. Craigslist here I come.
I know some couples who both ride. I think it is a better experience if each person has their own bike. I'm pushing for my wife to learn and get a bike of her own. I think we can really enjoy the experience together. On top of that I've got twin boys who are turning 6 now. In a couple of years if like to make it a family experience with two bikes and them on the back of each. I'm thinking of keeping the C50 for my wife and getting a touring bike to go with it, maybe a Goldwing. That should allow for riding 2-up as well as side by side.

·
Administrator
29,710 Posts
All the women I've ridden have been "extremely satisfied".

This study is interesting. I can't help but notice the bias. Two or three years ago I remember hearing how great pomegranates were... the study was funded by Pom... something.
The point is its a business that just backed itself up with a study that it funded.

Harley does a study that says Harleys are great?
Just playing Devil's advocate.
It is uber-silly. Women that dont ride motorcycles make up about , oh, I dont know, 99.999 percent of all women :). The ones I know are pretty happy. My wife thinks motorcycles are stupid, dirty and dangerous. She is correct AND she is happy as a lark:).

I hate to be the non band wagon jumper here, but this is just sexist claptrap. I think making a big deal about women riding motorcycles is about as lame as making a big deal about men riding motorcycles. Its just a motorcycle, seeing a woman on one doesn't even register with me. Its just another rider. Geez.

Notice that sex and appearance had to make their way in. Harley marketing BS. And people wonder why I think they suck. The real Harley Davidson would have just given the girl the keys and rolled. The sport bike crowd is even more mature about girls that ride. And they're teenagers.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Super Moderator
28,293 Posts
I don't think you're too far off base Mr E. Coming from the computer industry I get tired of hearing the same stuff there. "It's sexist! We need more women in computers!" I say let women do what interest them. If they want to ride motorcycles and work on computers, great! If they want to be nurses and schoolteachers, fine too! Men and women are different so they have different interest.

Like I said before, if a woman wants to ride, she's always welcome to ride with me with the same restrictions as for men. Don't be a rude rider and don't ride like a crazy maniac. Other than that, it's all good. I just want to ride with anyone who has a good attitude. Race, color, or all other factors mean nothing.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
It is uber-silly. Women that dont ride motorcycles make up about , oh, I dont know, 99.999 percent of all women :). The ones I know are pretty happy. My wife thinks motorcycles are stupid, dirty and dangerous. She is correct AND she is happy as a lark:).

I hate to be the non band wagon jumper here, but this is just sexist claptrap. I think making a big deal about women riding motorcycles is about as lame as making a big deal about men riding motorcycles. Its just a motorcycle, seeing a woman on one doesn't even register with me. Its just another rider. Geez.

Notice that sex and appearance had to make their way in. Harley marketing BS. And people wonder why I think they suck. The real Harley Davidson would have just given the girl the keys and rolled. The sport bike crowd is even more mature about girls that ride. And they're teenagers.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Thank you!!! I was looking for that neutral statement where a woman rider is not different than a man. And I agree that Harley is certainly playing to a market of stressed-out people/women in order to sell their bikes. "Buy my bikes and you will be happier for it.'" I ride for the sense of freedom and pure enjoyment that I experience, not to increase the profit margin of any particular biking manufacturer.

:wayhappy:

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
The world would be a safer place if all ladies rode, they would have less time for texting while driving! LOL (guys do it to just to be fair)

Seriously though, we did a 2000 mile trip to the dragon and surrounding area this summer and there was a lady rider with us and she rode just as well if not better than the guys.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts