Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would share some pictures on the progress of my spring mods the the bike. Step one was gathering all the tins and covers. I had started this process about 4 years ago when I bought a set of "tins". I then slowly found the side covers, neck covers, lower frame covers and radiator cover to complete the basic paint set. I purchased the fairing last summer and was lucky it came painted to match my bike. That ate up last years mod budget but was worth it. I finally had the $ to order the final pieces in March which were the hardbags. They were ordered in primer and took about three weeks to arrive from the time I ordered them from Champion.

Gathering all the parts to send off for a new coat of paint

Fairing removal and stripping everything out of it for painting

Outer fairing shell removed, with the old paint and pinstripes

The new Champion Patriot Sport hard bags, ordered in primer.

·
Premium Member
28,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Step two was to gather all the parts and get everything to the painter. The painter has been kind enough to send me some updates on the paint process. Here are some shots of the first phase of the process which was prepping all the parts. That started with removing all the OEM pinstripes and then sanding off the original paint. The parts were all in perfect shape so very little body work needed done. There was only one small area on the tank that UPS damaged when it was shipped to me (thanks UPS!) that needed body work. I also had the license plate bolt holes filled on the rear fender.

Rear fender sanded

Front fender

Tank

The fairing with the original paint and pinstripes all sanded off

·
Premium Member
5,046 Posts
Just get em up and put em back on. We'll bring the spray bombs and put the proper tagging to that RR car. :lol:
Congrats Studly. Long over due. You've been patient.

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
well, now I know whats missing for me. Got a tank, front and back fender, side panels.

Guess I need the small metal covers down low and neck pieces. Radiator is chrome so not that.

·
Premium Member
28,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Step three has been the painter working on the parts. Here are some shots as work progresses on the fairing. I spent a lot of time looking at literally thousands of pictures of paint jobs on motorcycles continually narrowing down styles and such until I decided what I wanted. I was very lucky to find a painter who first listened to what I wanted and then made suggestions and let me decied what I like best. The fun part was when we dropped the parts off he took the faring and a fender and a hard bag and laid out flames on them with tape as we watched. It was not only impressive but downright amazing to watch an expert zip along and lay out perfect tape sample flames on each piece so I had an idea what they would look like. And the best part was he was able to translate my ideas into an immediate visual. After some discussion and final decisions on a couple small things he had the parts and below are some pictures of progress on the fairing.

old paint gone and a fresh coat of primer

base coat on and laying out the first flames

the first layer of ghost flames done

second layer of ghost flames on, still need clear coated and buffed

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Studly said:
Step three has been the painter working on the parts. Here are some shots as work progresses on the fairing. I spent a lot of time looking at literally thousands of pictures of paint jobs on motorcycles continually narrowing down styles and such until I decided what I wanted. I was very lucky to find a painter who first listened to what I wanted and then made suggestions and let me decied what I like best. The fun part was when we dropped the parts off he took the faring and a fender and a hard bag and laid out flames on them with tape as we watched. It was not only impressive but downright amazing to watch an expert zip along and lay out perfect tape sample flames on each piece so I had an idea what they would look like. And the best part was he was able to translate my ideas into an immediate visual. After some discussion and final decisions on a couple small things he had the parts and below are some pictures of progress on the fairing.

old paint gone and a fresh coat of primer

base coat on and laying out the first flames

the first layer of ghost flames done

second layer of ghost flames on, still need clear coated and buffed
HMMMMM paint looks so cool......when will ya be adding Marvin too it!! :wink:

·
Premium Member
28,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rodog said:
HMMMMM paint looks so cool......when will ya be adding Marvin too it!! :wink:
LOL! :lol: No "Marvin" in the paint plan but if I ever change my mind his space is available in the center of the fairing. :lol:

·
Premium Member
28,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Boxwrench said:
well, now I know whats missing for me. Got a tank, front and back fender, side panels.

Guess I need the small metal covers down low and neck pieces. Radiator is chrome so not that.
Those "small metal covers" are actually plastic, as are the neck covers. In fact the only metal part is the tank, all others are either plastic or fiberglass. :shock: But hey I figure all that plastic and fiberglass makes the bike lighter. And lighter means faster and better gas mileage! :lol:

·
Registered
534 Posts
+1 Me too. Damn sweet so far!

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
Lookin' awesome, studly. Glad this project got launched, it's interesting to follow. Big thumbs up. :applause:
TakerEasy, VoleRiders.....

·
Registered
129 Posts
Looks great. Cant wait to see it finished.

·
Premium Member
11,858 Posts
holy snappin' studly! that looks fantastic! :D i'll be eagerly awaiting further progress pics..

cheers!

-mistress k

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Ok Studs...please do not post any more pics. I am getting jealous. I wanted to repaint this year but don't have time. Kidding really. It looks great. Can't wait until next year when I have time to tear it apart again and repaint. Can't wait to see the final product.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts